Comic Book Movie Adaptations

I always love it when some asshole reviewer gives away key plot points...do not read this review if you haven't read the GN and want to see the movie.

Yea, I should have posted a spoiler alert, but then again most people actually investing nearly 3 hours in this movie know what happens anyway.

I plan to see the movie as well......maybe later than sooner, but maybe sooner...who knows...Moore himself has disowned this project entirely so if you go with his feelings.....

Question for those of you who have seen the movie...do they use the device of the pirate comic as a subtext to parts of the plot in the movie? I always liked that....

LouieB

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for those of you who have seen the movie...do they use the device of the pirate comic as a subtext to parts of the plot in the movie? I always liked that....

LouieB

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do know that this is coming out at the end of the month

519EWycTMrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

From the Back Cover

They're in the book. And on this disc. From the director of Watchmen and 300 come two tales from the celebrated graphic novel that do not appear in the extraordinary Watchmen Theatrical Feature. Tales of the Black Freighter (featuring the voice of 300's Gerard Butler) brings to strikingly animated life the novels richly layered story-within-a-story, a daring pirate saga whose turbulent events may mirror those in the Watchmen's world. Stars from the Watchmen movie team in the amazing live-action/CGI Under the Hood, based on Nite Owl's powerful first-hand account of how the hooded adventurers came into existence. Two fan-essential stories. One place to watch the excitement. Watching the Watchmen begins here.

So I saw this last night. Very rare for me to see any movie on opening night, let alone a three hour comic book movie. But, for some reason, I found myself there. I know nothing about the book save for the little bits of general plot floating around right now. So I really had very little prejudice. I thought it was ... okay. It had its moments of being really good, but ultimately I was left kinda flat. It is an interesting concept, but I think ultimately the problem is not in adapting a graphic novel (though not having read it I can't really say), but in the fact that

the cold war setting doesn't have the impact it may have had in the '80's.

Also, I'm now very curious about the ending and may have to read at least the final chapter of the book.

I had heard that the ending is brilliant and all, but for me, the create a common enemy for an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kinda resolution to the cold war seems trite to me and far from brilliant. Oh well. It was pretty entertaining. it could have been shorter IMO and if the end had more gravity, I think it could have been great.

it's an amazing comic, but the best ever, c'mon. it's not even the best thing Moore's written.

Well, I did say maybe, but I wonder why I typed it because I actually like V for Vendetta better.

There is the funniest review of the Watchmen movie in the New Yorker this week. I still want to see this thing though....despite not being in the demographic...

LouieB

The problem is that Snyder, following Moore, is so insanely aroused by the look of vengeance, and by the stylized application of physical power, that the film ends up twice as fascistic as the forces it wishes to lampoon. The result is perfectly calibrated for its target group: nobody over twenty-five could take any joy from the savagery that is fleshed out onscreen, just as nobody under eighteen should be allowed to witness it.

This reminds me of my visceral dislike of 300. Can we just send Snyder to 1930s Germany to get his collab on with Leni Riefenstahl, already?

Well, I did say maybe, but I wonder why I typed it because I actually like V for Vendetta better.

yeah, see. I would put his Swamp Thing run and pretty much all of his America's Best Comics stuff above Watchmen.

LouieB

Nope. But I read somewhere that it will be integrated into the DVD/BR release.

well, there wasn't enough time to put it in the movie, so he made an animated feature out of it. it looks pretty cool too.

Tales of the Black Freighter trailer

Actually it might well be better than the movie; I really liked the whole comic within a comic thing based on the old pulp comic subject matter/censorship controversy which was part of the real world of comics during the 50s. It really rang true in the original book and was a nice kind of homage to the orignators of the "art" form. Too bad they didn't manage to work it into the movie. In fact when I first read Watchmen I nearly believed that part of the story was true.

edit: I hadn't watched the link to the trailer before I wrote the above....the trailer itself sucks. They showed way too little to give any impression of what it was about. Most times they give the entire fucking movie away in the trailer.

LouieB

By the way, I like the song 99 Luftballoons a lot, but it had no business being in the movie. I thought a few of the song choices were strange. All the music was good, but some of the songs took me out of the movie, thinking "why is this song playing right now?"

By the way, I like the song 99 Luftballoons a lot, but it had no business being in the movie. I thought a few of the song choices were strange. All the music was good, but some of the songs took me out of the movie, thinking "why is this song playing right now?"

I had the exact same reaction. Some had obvious ties to the GN (Ride of the Valkyries, All Along the Watchtower, ...) but some were odd, to say the least.

I had the exact same reaction. Some had obvious ties to the GN (Ride of the Valkyries, All Along the Watchtower, ...) but some were odd, to say the least.

Just saw the movie tonight. They really did stick very close to the novel which was cool. It was a long one.

I thought the same thing about the music, some of the songs were just distracting and were poor choices. I really don't like the My chemical romance "Desolation Row" at the end either.

read yesterday that scarjo to star as black widow and mickey rourke as whiplash in Iron Man 2. i have no issue w/ either actor, but whiplash?! wtf?! lame-sauce bad guy if you ask me and i think they could find somebody a little better for that black widow role.

looks like marvel studios also pushed back their overzealous release timetable for a lot of their other flicks from 2010 to 2011...which is fine by me if it means quality work.

There were a few head scratchers, but I absolutely loved the muzak version of "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" in Veidt's office.

yeah, see. I would put his Swamp Thing run and pretty much all of his America's Best Comics stuff above Watchmen.

just hope this thing making a trillion dollars will allow some really good director to make Miracleman, which I would put as the best he ever did.

Saw the movie last Tuesday and I like the new ending. Of course it is not perfect and there was WAAAAYYY too much Richard Nixon, but if anything, it provides a fairly satisfying conclusion to a blockbuster. I don't know if you all remember, but the comic ending was criticized on original publication. It was felt to be a cop out to what had been an incredibly complex story.

(for the waayyy too much Tricky Dicky, I have to blame Matt Groening)

Funny use of the internet Hitler Rant to poke at reaction to the changed ending:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/485797

(link contains spoiler)

The one thing I got a huge kick out of was the use of the famous 80s Channel ad transformed into Viedt's Nostalgia perfume. Also get a kick out of the using Tears for Fears in the Viedt sequence, although I did not pick up on it until reading it here. Matthew Goode's acting was pretty terrible, so I was cringing instead of paying attention.

Question: how come everyone ripped Batman for his voice and everyones loves Rorschach with the exact same voice? Is it just that the voice was different for Bruce Wayne/Batman?

Probably because the GN implied that sorta voice. Had to be there.

Hurm

for me, i think it was from bale it sounded really (and uneccesarily) forced. his voice is fine enough to talk as is. granted, haven't seen watchmen yet, so...

I thought it was fine in Batman Begins. I just thought the effects they used on the voice on TDK were unnecessary.

This reminds me of my visceral dislike of 300. Can we just send Snyder to 1930s Germany to get his collab on with Leni Riefenstahl, already?

Belated reporting of violation of Godwin's law

GodwinsLaw_CatPoster.jpg

I'm going to keep doing this as long as you guys resort to the lazy tactic of comparing everything you find distasteful or wrong to the Nazis or oblique references to said villians.