Article on New Record in Q Magazine

Maybe now people will finally - finally! - stop calling it "Walken." Which is stupid. And not the name of the song. Anyway...

:brow well, maybe you should tell the band to stop writing "Walken" on the setlist, cuz this is from the D.C. show less 2 weeks ago:

274607575_a7d4060792.jpg

christ you're an arrogant fuck. but of course you already know that. :rolleyes

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe now people will finally - finally! - stop calling it "Walken." Which is stupid. And not the name of the song. Anyway...

Don't count on it champ. :pirate

:brow well, maybe you should tell the band to stop writing "Walken" on the setlist, cuz this is from the D.C. show less 2 weeks ago:

Yeaah. I have no idea why what people call this song inspires so much emotion around here anyhow. Besides, it was all explained long ago...

People are overthinking this. In Columbia Jeff said the title would probably be something like "Talking to Myself About You" ... but that's too long for the setlist, hence "Walken".

http://archive.viachicago.org/index.php?s=...st&p=527725 (one of the many fine threads we've had about this song in the past...)

Yeaah. I have no idea why what people call this song inspires so much emotion around here anyhow. Besides, it was all explained long ago...

http://archive.viachicago.org/index.php?s=...st&p=527725 (one of the many fine threads we've had about this song in the past...)

right, kinda like Laminated Cat / Not For The Season, or Spiders / Kidsmoke, does it really freakin' matter?

Jeff's producing. this should make all the O'Rourke haters happy..or maybe not

So, you think this album will actually be "Produced by Jeff Tweedy" and not "Produced by Wilco", like the others? Not that it matters.

O'Rourke could still get in on the mixing (YHF).

Krautrock influenced and Kid A stylings?

Does anyone actually believe that horseshite? Those songs are about as Krautrock as fucking Kylie! Fucking journos! They should be tied down and made to listen to Tangerine Dream for 24 hours staight. Knobheads!

On a lighter note...I see Jeff is recording in a "cum bunker". Must be a cruising ground nearby! :mellow

HAAAA!!! Cum bunker!!! I felt a little like Beavis when I read that.

'Walken' was what appeared on setlists for the first year and a half of its performance. It's not like one of us just made it up.

And I agree that 'Let's Fight' desperately needs to be rethought. I can hardly get past the Casio keyboard introduction.

Real strings would be nice on that one, but it's a bit of a clunker hopefully it'll come off a bit better in the studio.

--Mike

Real strings would be nice on that one, but it's a bit of a clunker hopefully it'll come off a bit better in the studio.

--Mike

maybe this with be the anti-AGIB, where some people enjoyed the music live, but think the songs really took a new life when recorded.

maybe this with be the anti-AGIB, where some people enjoyed the music live, but think the songs really took a new life when recorded.

I think the songs on Ghost actually sound better on the record but I am in the silent minority likely with the exception of Jim O'Rourke probably.

--Mike

I think the songs on Ghost actually sound better on the record but I am in the silent minority likely with the exception of Jim O'Rourke probably.

If you'd qualified it with "some of the" then I'd agree with you. I like the added guitar that Nels brings with some of the songs live and Late Greats is just flat out much, much better now.

The other thing that's hard to discount is Jeff is usually much more engaged at a live show than he seems on the last few records. I'd rather hear most of the AGIB songs on Kicking TV, though I really like most of the album versions of the songs. The exceptions are stuff like Wishful Thinking or ALTWYS where the album version is either hard to do live because of the fragility or pretty close to perfect as-is. And songs that I might think a bit meh oh the record like Company In My Back are much better live.

Also... cum bunker. Hee.

i think that ghost is one of the better mixed albums i've ever heard - it sounds really organic and dynamic as well. Makes you feel like you're sitting in the room with them.

The magic of Sears Sound?