Advice and What Not

Hey everyone,

I'm the music editor at my school paper, and next week I'm writing a peice on the band, specifically how they're unique in the sense that they allow the fans and the audience essentially a complete and total look at the creative process they undertake when making music.

I've already cited both movies and both books, but I was wondering if anyone had any wicked-ass suggestions or otherwise advice so I can make this as badass as possible.

Also, I know there's a plethora of photos available online and at Wilco base, but would anyone with some really cool hi-res shots mind if I ran some alongside the article? You'll recieve full credit and everything, and I'll post a copy of the page up here as soon as it's completed so everyone can see what it looks like.

Thanks everyone!

If you wanna keep it fresh, never use the term 'alt-country', and only use the word rehab in passing. Oh yeah and maybe only use the words reprise records in passing. These things are all pretty well worn.

Maybe get some kind of Tweedy=ubermench thing with some Nietzche quotes, thats pretty college. (excuse my impossible german, last relative hit the docks here a century ago).

Also, I know there's a plethora of photos available online and at Wilco base, but would anyone with some really cool hi-res shots mind if I ran some alongside the article? You'll recieve full credit and everything, and I'll post a copy of the page up here as soon as it's completed so everyone can see what it looks like.

Thanks everyone!

I've got some pics you can use ... e-mail me: creativetype@cox.net

I always thought how incredible it was how huge Wilco's fanbase is with little or no publisity at all.Also how evolving every alblum has been to date.And that VC ROCKS!

If you wanna keep it fresh, never use the term 'alt-country', and only use the word rehab in passing. Oh yeah and maybe only use the words reprise records in passing. These things are all pretty well worn.

And please don't talk about Jay Bennett. Please.

But you can paraphrase Bob Edwards: Wilco went from being outside of the commercial music market to transcending it.

You might find some Tweedy quotes ... he has great things to say about the spiritual nature of the relationship between performer and audience experiencing the music together.

One of my favorite Tweedy quotes (2004):

"A piece of art is not a loaf of bread. When someone steals a loaf of bread from the store, that's it. The loaf of bread is gone. When someone downloads a piece of music, it's just data until the listener puts that music back together with their own ears, their mind, their subjective experience. How they perceive your work changes your work.

Treating your audience like thieves is absurd. Anyone who chooses to listen to our music becomes a collaborator.

People who look at music as commerce don't understand that. They are talking about pieces of plastic they want to sell, packages of intellectual property.

I'm not interested in selling pieces of plastic."

This is from an interview with Wired magaine...read it here.

Guest Speed Racer
yeah. this is an article about wilco. if i recall correctly, wasn't jay once a member of wilco? in fact, he was for quite a while.

maybe i'm just crazy.

When talking about the new album (once removed from Jay, now) or their current live show (5 years and one additional line-up change removed from Jay), it comes off as forced or 'in the know' (but is more like yesterday's 'know'). I mean, Carol Mosely-Braun was once a senator of Illinois, but she's never mentioned in conjunction with Obama or Durbin, no?

When talking about the new album (once removed from Jay, now) or their current live show (5 years and one additional line-up change removed from Jay), it comes off as forced or 'in the know' (but is more like yesterday's 'know'). I mean, Carol Mosely-Braun was once a senator of Illinois, but she's never mentioned in conjunction with Obama or Durbin, no?

Nice, perfect analogy. :thumbup

not trying to argue, cause i see what you're saying and agree.

but, you gotta look at what his article is about. its not about the new album or them touring recently.... its about the band wilco, and how everything they have done and continue to do is so incredible and special. and to leave jay out is like writing a book about the civil rights movement and not saying anything about martin luther king jr.

it's understandable if he was writing about the new album and their touring, but he wants to write about the band in general... and jay deserves as much credit as anyone else in wilco does.

Guest Speed Racer
it's understandable if he was writing about the new album and their touring, but he wants to write about the band in general... and jay deserves as much credit as anyone else in wilco does.

Agreed. :yes It's hard to talk about Illinois politics without mentioning everyone's favorite fruitcake of the 1990s, CMB.

I think what he was saying, and I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, was not to write about the circumstances of Jay's leaving the band. That's been pretty much hashed out, and doesn't bear much relevance to the music.

that was my interpretation, anyway

I think what he was saying, and I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, was not to write about the circumstances of Jay's leaving the band. That's been pretty much hashed out, and doesn't bear much relevance to the music.

that was my interpretation, anyway

you're probably right. i kinda jumped the gun, i just don't like hearing people mention something bad about jay without something to back it up.

i pray a war isn't on the horizon. VC has actually been quite calm this week. :cheers

Hey everyone,

I'm finishing up the article as we speak. Most of what people suggested to avoid talking about, I wasn't especially planning on covering anyway-- it's a relatively short peice so I've got to squeeze as much in as possible.

If I have a chance, I'll post it here for tremendous scrutiny before it goes to print. While that really isn't a typical part of the formal editing process, I'd say people here are more than qualified than the 17 year old we pay for fact checking.

Thanks for all your help!

...I thought most people here were 16. Oops.

:ermm

I still wear a pair of boots I bought in 1986.

Hey everyone,

I've already cited both movies and both books, but I was wondering if anyone had any wicked-ass suggestions or otherwise advice so I can make this as badass as possible.

Thanks everyone!

I think the more you use Wicked-ass and Badass will make it , well you know, stompass! :thumbup

Someone put up some some kickass photos in the wichita thread in ATS forum, seriously

you're probably right. i kinda jumped the gun, i just don't like hearing people mention something bad about jay without something to back it up.

i pray a war isn't on the horizon. VC has actually been quite calm this week. :cheers

that's because i'm too busy trying to get into college this week. wait till next month, you'll see. :pirate