Ann Arbor, 12/08/06 w/ Califone

Pastrysharp, the excellent Califone site, lists Califone opening for Wilco in Ann Arbor on 12/08/06.

The venue listed is the Michigan Union, which is not a music venue at all, but sometimes serves as an advance ticket office for the Michigan Theater, an exceptional venue.

No word on tickets.

No word on Wilcoworld.

Anyone heard any other news?

Pastrysharp, the excellent Califone site, lists Califone opening for Wilco in Ann Arbor on 12/08/06.

The venue listed is the Michigan Union, which is not a music venue at all, but sometimes serves as an advance ticket office for the Michigan Theater, an exceptional venue.

No word on tickets.

No word on Wilcoworld.

Anyone heard any other news?

I heard I'll be there if it's true.

But Owl, is the Califone in Ann Arbor on Friday 12/08/2006 part true? :huh

Yeah, that's true. Sorry 'bout all this. :hmm :hmm

There's always the Auditorium show!

ohhh i could quite possibly go to this if it were only true!!!!!

And you can (should) still go; you just won't see Wilco there. ;)

There's always the Auditorium show!

Well, hell yeah -- 4th row!

Hey Owl, do you know if Ben Massarella will be performing with Califone at the Auditorium show? Just curious if we'll be treated to some extra percussion. :dancing

Damn, now I'm presented with a dilemma. The entertainment budget is pretty tight so I have to choose between Califone in AA 45 min away or Ray Lamontagne downtown.

Decisions, decisions.

I guess it's a the glass is full and I get to drink it too kinda choice. :beer

There is a ballroom in the Michigan Union that does sometimes host concerts.

Way too small for Wilco though.

That's what they played in here in my town.

Well, I've seen Wilco play in Ann Arbor twice, and Tweedy solo once. The first Wilco show and the Tweedy show were at the Michigan Theater. The other Wilco show was at Hill Auditorium.

Michigan Theater: 1,700 capacity

Hill Auditorium: 3,538 capacity

Michigan Union Ballroom: 600

If Wilco played there, there would be riots.

Damn, now I'm presented with a dilemma. The entertainment budget is pretty tight so I have to choose between Califone in AA 45 min away or Ray Lamontagne downtown.

Decisions, decisions.

Were the Lamontagne tickets $40 there? That scrapped my decision to see him in Atlanta.

Well, hell yeah -- 4th row!

Hey Owl, do you know if Ben Massarella will be performing with Califone at the Auditorium show? Just curious if we'll be treated to some extra percussion. :dancing

I think* so.

* 80% sure.

Decisions, decisions.

Wow, these are two diverse shows.

Jen and I saw Ray Lamontagne twice this summer because he opened for Guster / Fruit Bats, but I'm sad to say our experience with both of his performances was not good, not at all good, very unnecessarily drama-filled and unprofessional. Musically alone, he was mellow and lovely (I admit to not being a big fan of his music), but the other stuff? :brow

Califone, on the other hand, did nothing but amaze me both times I've seen them this fall. :thumbup

Well, I've seen Wilco play in Ann Arbor twice, and Tweedy solo once. The first Wilco show and the Tweedy show were at the Michigan Theater. The other Wilco show was at Hill Auditorium.

Michigan Theater: 1,700 capacity

Hill Auditorium: 3,538 capacity

I've seen them play at venues that small, and not only were there no riots, they weren't even sold out. But the clincher was that they were in weird, out-of-the way towns, ones not that close to urban centers. I don't think Ann Arbor fits that description, so you're probably right.

I think that is about how many there were at the show here or less. We have about 20, 000 plus students + however many townspeople here.

I think that U of M has about 40,000 total students, plus the rest of the city, which is notable but not huge. But it's also only 40 miles from Detroit, and the Metro Detroit area has about 4.5 million people, and Ann Arbor seems to be as close as Wilco comes to Detroit nowadays, so I think there'd probably be a good amount of people travelling who make the drive in.