Ann Arbor, 12/08/06 w/ Califone

what university do you work at?

WVU

I think that U of M has about 40,000 total students, plus the rest of the city, which is notable but not huge. But it's also only 40 miles from Detroit, and the Metro Detroit area has about 4.5 million people, and Ann Arbor seems to be as close as Wilco comes to Detroit nowadays, so I think there'd probably be a good amount of people travelling who make the drive in.

I see your point now.

The tour is never over. It lives on in our hearts and minds forever. The tour dies when we die.

:lol Cross-posted from a Grateful Dead board?

I think that U of M has about 40,000 total students, plus the rest of the city, which is notable but not huge. But it's also only 40 miles from Detroit, and the Metro Detroit area has about 4.5 million people, and Ann Arbor seems to be as close as Wilco comes to Detroit nowadays, so I think there'd probably be a good amount of people travelling who make the drive in.

Plus, we put over 111,000 people into a football stadium six times a year. Wilco only comes through, like, once a year -- if we're lucky.

What I'm trying to say is, Wilco should play Michigan Stadium. ;)

The venue listed is the Michigan Union, which is not a music venue at all, but sometimes serves as an advance ticket office for the Michigan Theater, an exceptional venue.

I saw Rocket from the Crypt at the Michigan Union Ballroom when I was in college. It's one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Also, the Stooges used to play there a lot back in the day. :monkey

If anyone is interested in the Califone show: For what it's worth, I worked at the Union while I was a student (through April). I contacted my former boss (event services coordinator) and he seems to think they'll be playing in the U-Club that night. It's quite a bit smaller than the Ballroom. It holds around 300 when empty. If they keep chairs in there, capacity is only about 200.

I can't guarantee this to be true, as I now live 1200 miles away, but he usually knows what he's talking about.