The Hot Stove League

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really pumped to see what the D-Rays do this offseason. There's talk of adding a new coat of paint to the outfield wall. In any event, it'll be tough to top last year's addition of a cool new fish tank out in right-center.

I like Gary Sheffield. Seems like every team he goes to wins more games than they did the previous year. I could be wrong though, I didn't check.

I like Gary Sheffield. Seems like every team he goes to wins more games than they did the previous year. I could be wrong though, I didn't check.

Not so much

Brewers

1987 (pre-Shef) - 97 wins

1988 (post-Shef) - 87

1989 - 74

Padres

1991 - 84

1992 - 82

Marlins

1992 - N/A

1993 - 64

1994 - 51

Dodgers

1997 - 88

1998 - 83

1999 - 77

Braves

2001 - 88

2002 - 101

2003 - 101

Yankees

2003 - 101

2004 - 101

2005 - 95

So exactly once in his career has his new team had a better record than in the previous season.

I read the title of this thread as "Hot Lunch League," which would be something else entirely.

Yeah, that and the fact that he had a very impressive rookie season.

I had a similar response typed, but considering all the awards in the article were team awards, not league awards, bobbo has a point. Papelbon had a pretty special season regardless, however.

The Nationals are set to announce Manny Acta as their new manager. I don't know a lot about the guy, but from what little I've heard he sounds like a good fit. Player reaction has been positive so far.

In other Nats rumors, Ryan Zimmerman seems to have the inside track on the NL ROY award.

Verlander got 26 of 28 first place votes. The other first place votes went to Liriano and Nick Markakis.

Who's the asshole who voted for Markakis? Verlander, Liriano, Papelbon, even Weaver, fine. But Nick Markakis? Certainly had a good year, but this was such an amazing year for rookie pitchers in the American League.

I read the title of this thread as "Hot Lunch League," which would be something else entirely.

I had a similar response typed, but considering all the awards in the article were team awards, not league awards, bobbo has a point. Papelbon had a pretty special season regardless, however.

Yeah I was referring to the fact that they were team awards.

He would've been a good pick for ROY too.

Verlander got 26 of 28 first place votes. The other first place votes went to Liriano and Nick Markakis.

Who's the asshole who voted for Markakis? Verlander, Liriano, Papelbon, even Weaver, fine. But Nick Markakis? Certainly had a good year, but this was such an amazing year for rookie pitchers in the American League.

Makarkis was probably the best hitting rookie, so I guess someone felt that there were too many pitchers who had great years, so it watered down the talent pool, or something. Maybe he thought Makarkis numbers were even more impressive given the domination the pitchers as a whole showed. Or something? It's a pretty stupid vote.

I'm so happy for Hanley. I'm not going to lie I would've been pretty mad if Zimmerman got it. Basically, he had an impressive RBI total which was severly inflated by his place in the batting order. Hanley only had a slight edge in OBP and SLUG, but he also stole 50+ bases and was leading off so he scored more runs. Zimmerman had the luxury of batting behind Nick Johnson and his ridiculous OBP skills, so he had plenty of opportunities to drive guys in, which he of course took advantage of, but that was really the only category he was better than Hanley in, so I think Hanley's the right choice. He really had a historically good season, if you think those arbitrarily chosen numbers mean anything.

hbTeeu94.jpg

Since there's a picture of Verlander, figure we need a picture of Hanley, or "Shadez" as the Marlins nation calls him. Congrats!

Also, the rumors of Boston winning the Matzasuke bidding at $50 Million just reeks of desperation on their part. They need Beckett to bounce back or they are really going to regret that trade, since Lowell is as good as gone in Boston.

Markakis and Johjima's hitting numbers are pretty similar. And Johjima is a friggin' catcher. Someone just trying to rock the boat I suppose.

Hanley is a good choice. 3 out of the top 4 were Marlins, and 6 out of the top 11. A good young crop of players there.

Markakis and Johjima's hitting numbers are pretty similar. And Johjima is a friggin' catcher. Someone just trying to rock the boat I suppose.

Hanley is a good choice. 3 out of the top 4 were Marlins, and 6 out of the top 11. A good young crop of players there.

And there are a couple who didn't get votes who probably could've, as Taylor Tankersly had a great year in the pen, Josh Willingham, Mike Jacobs, Scott Olsen, Ricky Nolasco, and Anibal Sanchez could all have made an argument in a normal year for being considered for ROY.

This is a really good core for our team to build around. We've got a perrenial MVP candidate and one of the 3 best hitters in the league in Cabrera, the 2003 ROY and Cy Young runner up last year, and a whole slew of some of the games best young players. If we add a good center fielder, we're going to be amazing.

Also, I forgot about Johjima, he had a great year, but he really flew under the radar.

Some conjecture from a Marlins message board about Matzazuke:

I've heard it suggested, and quite frankly it wouldn't surprise me, that the Red Sox have little intention to sign Matsuzaka but did this simply to block him from going to the Yankees.

Under the rules of posting, the only team allowed to negotiate with the player is the team with the highest bid. If no agreement is reached, the posting fee is returned to the team and the player is returned to his original team.

So, to simplify, the Red Sox take a pitching starved market and block the best pitcher from going to their pitching starved rivals all, in the end, at no cost to them (since the fee will be returned).

This could be absolutely brilliant.

Under Matsuzaka's contract, he's a free man following this final season in Japan, so posting or not, he's coming state-side next year.

Damn, that would really make things interesting next year. He'll definetly never sign with the Sox if thats true, and he may be even more likely to sign with NY next year.

Some conjecture from a Marlins message board about Matzazuke:

Damn, that would really make things interesting next year. He'll definetly never sign with the Sox if thats true, and he may be even more likely to sign with NY next year.

I'm curious about the source where this person is getting his/her info. I've been following this thing pretty closely and have not caught wind of the Sox doing this solely to prevent him from being wooed by the Yankees.

On the other hand (same hand?) I think it's a potentially fantastic move by the Red Sox front office. As a fan of the team, I want them to win. This could help them win. The projections on the Japanese phenom are outstanding. Of course, they're only projections. But so are what we are to expect from any other pitcher this upcoming season: projections.

And yes, it potentially blocks him to going to the arch rivals down the block, but also gives the Sox international Eastern recognition with the Japanese, as well as opening the door for future deals. Matsui is highly regarded in Japan, and therefore are the Yankees. While this could end up costing the Red Sox a lot of money, they aren't forced to give up prospects/proven talent, either. And hey, it's not my money. The pay-off could easily surpass the investment. Then again....

I'm curious about the source where this person is getting his/her info. I've been following this thing pretty closely and have not caught wind of the Sox doing this solely to prevent him from being wooed by the Yankees.

On the other hand (same hand?) I think it's a potentially fantastic move by the Red Sox front office. As a fan of the team, I want them to win. This could help them win. The projections on the Japanese phenom are outstanding. Of course, they're only projections. But so are what we are to expect from any other pitcher this upcoming season: projections.

And yes, it potentially blocks him to going to the arch rivals down the block, but also gives the Sox international Eastern recognition with the Japanese, as well as opening the door for future deals. Matsui is highly regarded in Japan, and therefore are the Yankees. While this could end up costing the Red Sox a lot of money, they aren't forced to give up prospects/proven talent, either. And hey, it's not my money. The pay-off could easily surpass the investment. Then again....

I agree - and would argue that the Sox are as pitching starved as the Yankees.

If only Oil Can Boyd would come out of retirement again ...

I'm curious about the source where this person is getting his/her info.

I think it's just what he said it was - conjecture. You know how it is. People type in all sorts of weird shit on message boards. Like was once said of newspapers, message boards are a device to make the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier.

Boston might pay it. They need something - that team is on the verge of being permanently lapped by Toronto.

Hideki Irabu anyone? I'm just sayin'. Spending $98 million on a pitcher that has never thrown a major league pitch is a huge gamble. I dont care what the projections say.

And of course, this is the problem with baseball -- most teams can probably afford this guy if they want him badly enough, but few teams can afford to make a mistake with this guy without being set back for the next 5 years. And those teams, the Yanks, Sox, Mets, etc. are the only teams in the running. Oh well. Broken record, I know.

Hideki Irabu anyone? I'm just sayin'. Spending $98 million on a pitcher that has never thrown a major league pitch is a huge gamble. I dont care what the projections say.

Not sure where the $98 million figure comes from as The Sox have yet to reveal any financial plans for the potential deal. It's speculation, at this point, but let's assume the deal heads upward of this figure: the Sox would still (I'm pretty sure) be under the luxury tax. They've been relatively conservative the last few years and are obviously in a position to jump on a potential young arm (26 yrs. old- Papelbon and Beckett ages) that's the hottest commodity available.

Again, of course it's a gamble. But so is chasing down a veteran pitcher in the off-season and signing him for big bucks.