The Hot Stove League

Helton's numbers away from Coors Field aren't too good the last few years (surprise surprise). Coors is where players go to retire and/or enjoy the salad days of their "careers".

helton hit pretty well away from coors field the last couple of years and is good defensively with a high average. he just has no power and was overvalued by the rockies.

if the sox do not give up too much, it would work out well for boston i think.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have tried to get direct tv before and it will not work because i do not have an "unobstructed view of the southern sky."

i have no choice but to pay $100 to watch crappy resolution. :ohwell

I would think listening to the Gameday Audio at much less price may make you feel a bit less sodomized.

I don't have any problems seeing the Mets, but I'm not rash enough to move to the other side of the country from where my favorite team plays either. People really need to think about this kind of thing. ;)

I don't have any problems seeing the Mets, but I'm not rash enough to move to the other side of the country from where my favorite team plays either. People really need to think about this kind of thing. ;)

Thats what I'm saying.

Unfortunately, I do not want to live in South Florida my whole life, so eventually I will have to figure it out.

Thats what I'm saying.

Unfortunately, I do not want to live in South Florida my whole life, so eventually I will have to figure it out.

"In the future, all things will be possible, as long as you have the money." - Dan Barton, 2007.

The Helton to Boston rumors have been silenced through owner Charlie Montfort, probably the worst baseball owner in recent memory. I say this not because of the deal being quashed (he has every right to seek the highest return for The Rockies' marquee name) but because he makes no sense and continually is satisfied with having aspirations to "play .500 ball".

He has consistently been comfortable with a below-mediocre team and has made some hideous baseball decisions. As someone who loves to go to Coors Field for games, I can say that fan apathy is at an all-time high, in very large part because of the poor business decisions made by ownership out here.

I'll let the the article speak for itself, but pay particular attention to the doublespeak towards the end of the piece, where he sums up his own ineptness succinctly with his lack of business acumen:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6422286

The Helton to Boston rumors have been silenced through owner Charlie Montfort, probably the worst baseball owner in recent memory. I say this not because of the deal being quashed (he has every right to seek the highest return for The Rockies' marquee name) but because he makes no sense and continually is satisfied with having aspirations to "play .500 ball".

He has consistently been comfortable with a below-mediocre team and has made some hideous baseball decisions. As someone who loves to go to Coors Field for games, I can say that fan apathy is at an all-time high, in very large part because of the poor business decisions made by ownership out here.

I'll let the the article speak for itself, but pay particular attention to the doublespeak towards the end of the piece, where he sums up his own ineptness succinctly with his lack of business acumen:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6422286

Yeah, and add to the fact that he publicy identified which players he was after so Lowell and Tavarez now know they were on the trading block. May be some bruised egos there.

I would think listening to the Gameday Audio at much less price may make you feel a bit less sodomized.

agreed. the game day audio is a staple for me so that i can listen while at work.

i guess i am hoping that mlb.tv has upgraded their picture in light of their screwing to the comcast extra innings people. hopefully, they will offer some sort of free preview.

Kerry takes up 'Extra Innings' issue

Posted: Thursday February 1, 2007 1:58AM; Updated: Thursday February 1, 2007 1:58AM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A proposal to make Major League Baseball's "Extra Innings" exclusive to DirecTV has drawn the ire of Sen. John Kerry.

The Massachusetts Democrat said he plans to raise the matter with the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission at a hearing Thursday.

"I am opposed to anything that deprives people of reasonable choices," Kerry said in a statement. "In this day and age, consumers should have more choices -- not fewer. I'd like to know how this serves the public -- a deal that will force fans to subscribe to DirecTV in order to tune in to their favorite players. A Red Sox fan ought to be able to watch their team without having to switch to DirecTV."

"Extra Innings" is a service that allows viewers to watch games involving teams not in their local markets. In past years, the service has been available through a range of providers, but a pending deal would make the service only available to DirecTV subscribers.

FCC Chairman Kevin Martin is a scheduled witness at Thursday's hearing of the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I used to have the audio package (the first season it came out). back then it was like 10 or 15 bucks. It was pretty kick ass though they black anything out then. if I was on the road I could listen to the home team no problem. it would seems worthless to me in just about any other circumstance.

Just an update about the DirecTV/MLB/EI impending deal: rejoice Canucks! Our neighbors to the north need not fear having their baseball messed with in terms of EI, as DirecTV is unavailable in Canada (they get to order EI through whatever means they choose). Though no other news in the upcoming week, apparently:

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?opt...0&Itemid=52

I'm thinking about slingbox or moving to Canada, whichever's cheaper. Or maybe sucking it up and switching....

Also: Curt Schilling revealed on WEEI last week that he no longer will be retiring at the end of the 2007 season as previously stated, but will pitch in 2008 as well. Here's hoping the Sox lock him up before the start of this season.

Antonio Alfonseca & 'Flash' Gordon scare me

And they should. Alfonseca has a habit of pouring gasoline onto fires ... and often he's the one who started those fires in the first place. Gordon is long past his prime.

As for Rowand ... as a White Sox fan, I miss him -- but I wouldn't want the Sox to part with any relief pitching to get him back.

Who wants Aaron Rowand? We need a good relief pitcher (Antonio Alfonseca & 'Flash' Gordon scare me). Although Alfonseca is an 8th inning upgrade over Arthur Rhodes - still 'Flash' is pushing 40 years old and had a rotten second half in '06.

Sure, get rid of Rowand and you'll have the worst outfield in baseball.

And they should. Alfonseca has a habit of pouring gasoline onto fires ... and often he's the one who started those fires in the first place.

True. You'd think the fact that he has 6 digits at the end of each hand and foot would count for something as an MLB pitcher, too.

Come to think of it, isn't it a bit like sticking Siamese twins into the net as a goalie(s)?

A few modifications to the MLB rules this season.

Of note:

With no runners on base, pitchers have only 12 seconds to deliver the ball between pitches (down from 20 seconds). An overt attempt to speed up the games/keep the pace.

Batters must keep at least one foot in the batter's box throughout the at-bat (with certain exceptions as the game warrants/umpire deems).

Scuffing/marking the ball will result in an automatic 10-game suspension (previously a "ball" count was awarded and a warning issued to the pitcher/manager).

These are the key changes, but there are a few others:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

No reason for rosin: The same Rule 3.02 now specifically prohibits placing "soil, rosin, paraffin, licorice, sandpaper, emery paper or other foreign substance" on the ball. The rule's penalty phase dictates, "The umpire shall demand the ball and remove the offender from the game. In addition, the offender shall be suspended automatically for 10 games."

I thought this was a biggie...