The Hot Stove League

Everything I've read says that if the Red Sox don't sign him, he's ineligible to play in the US until next year, but I could be wrong.

Also, put all the credence you want in what people say players are "worth," but those are general figures and don't take into account team need. Matsuzaka is clearly worth more to the Red Sox than a lot of other teams, and they are consequently willing to pay more. It doesn't matter to them what $ figure David Gassko puts on him.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Value is not an absolute concept in baseball. When the Mets signed Pedro he was worth more to them than the Red Sox because (1) the Mets were looking for legitimacy whereas the Sox already had it (and were world series champs); (2) the Mets were hoping that Pedro would put fans in the seats whereas the Sox didnt have that issue (as World Series champs); and (3) the Mets were hoping Pedro would attract other big name free agents to come (which the Sox didnt need to worry about as World Series champs).

So the Mets may have overpaid for Pedro in baseball terms. Sure. He may never throw another pitch for them. But did they make up for it in jerseys sold and fans in the seats and cache in the season immediately prior to launching their own television network? I dont know for sure, but I am going to guess yes.

That's why its silly when you see all these statheads telling you how much money Pedro gets paid per win (which is an off-the-charts number of course). Its a naive way of looking at baseball -- as if those folks still haven't grasped that baseball is as much of a business as it is a sport for these owners. Where are the statheads telling you how many season tickets were sold or same day ticket sales for games in which he pitches or advertising revenue post-Pedro? I promise you thats all that Fred Wilpon cares about.

These owners aren't just overpaying for baseball talent. How the heck do you think they got rich enough to own a team? By not being able to figure out that Zito is a proven talent but D-Mat isn't? There are other calculations being made here.

Santana is unanimous Cy Young winner

Twins southpaw earns second AL pitching award

By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Johan Santana joined an elite group of pitchers on Thursday afternoon when he became just the 14th pitcher in Major League history to win multiple Cy Young Awards.

Santana was named the unanimous winner of the 2006 American League Cy Young Award. It's the second time in his career that he has earned the honor bestowed by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

All of Santana's success has come quite quickly, as both Cy Young Awards have come within the past three seasons. Santana won his first Cy Young in 2004 during his first full season as a starter. In 2005, he finished third in the voting.

Should be his 3rd consecutive one. He got jobbed last year.

I don't think Matsuzaka is enough to put them over the Yankees anyways. It may be enough to have them in the hunt for the Wild card and division, but they have more holes than any of the other teams and this handicaps them more in filling them.

Ri-goddamn-diculous money being thrown out there this offseason. The Giants have reportedly made a 3 year, 30 million dollar contract offer to both Juan Pierre and Gary Matthews Jr. and whichever accepts it first is their CFer next year.

10 million a year for Pierre? Wow, absolutely amazing.

Ri-goddamn-diculous money being thrown out there this offseason. The Giants have reportedly made a 3 year, 30 million dollar contract offer to both Juan Pierre and Gary Matthew's Jr. and whichever accepts it first is their CFer next year.

10 million a year for Pierre? Wow, absolutely amazing.

I find it much more amazing that they are offering $10M to Gary Matthew's penis.

On another forum I made a bet with the moderator. The bet is if Matsuzaka signs for less than Zito or Schmidt (only counting the first year of the countract), I get banned for 3 weeks. If he signs for more or the same, he gets banned for 3 weeks.

Seeing as his contract is undoubtedly going to be shorter than theirs, thus, less backloaded, I think I've got it.

Probably more since it's probably shaping up to look like this:

With the rest paid out in 4-6 million dollar increments every year after that. This contract is probably ridiculously backloaded in order for it to make sense for them. They are banking on the market to catch up to the actual contract.

$17 million a year for 8 years is a little steep for a CF who has never played the position before.

What's next, $15 million over 5 years for Jason Schmidt?

who hits 45 hrs and is fast. i do hope he plays left field but am elated at the overspending.

i also think schmidt's arm will explode in the next year.

who hits 45 hrs and is fast. i do hope he plays left field but am elated at the overspending.

i also think schmidt's arm will explode in the next year.

The guy has been in the top 20 in the majors in Runs Created 2 times. His offense has always been overrated, and now he is one of the 10 best paid players in the game. I'd be hard pressed to say he's a top 40 player if you included pitchers. Last season he finally started walking, and I think was a result of him hitting leadoff, but I don't think the Cubs are smart enough to bat him leadoff, so he'll be back to his old ways of trying to drive in runs instead of waiting for his pitch. I'd be suprised if he OBP's over .330 next year, and I see 35 homers as his absolute peak.