The Hot Stove League

Ri-goddamn-diculous money being thrown out there this offseason.

Free agent center fielder Juan Pierre has agreed to a five-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, a source told ESPN.com on Monday. The deal is believed to be worth $44-45 million.

The deal will become complete when Pierre passes a physical exam, the source said.

Pierre, 29, is a .303 hitter over seven seasons with Colorado, Florida and the Chicago Cubs. He led the National League with 204 hits in 2006.

The San Francisco Giants were also interested in Pierre, and had offered him a four-year deal in the $32-34 million range, a source said.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This market is absolutely ridiculous. Nomar making 9 mil a year, Drew is reportedly close to signing a 2 year, 30 Million deal with the Red Sox.

Although this stat shocked me:

Did you know that according to Bill James, Pierre has a 29% chance at reaching 3,000 hits?

I guess leading off and simply putting the ball in play 700 times a year might be enough to get this guy in the hall of fame...

29% isn't all that great. Where did you get that stat from? I'd be curious how that ranks compared to some other guys.

3,000 hits looks nice, but combined with the 20-25 career home runs he's likely to end with, I don't know if the Hall of Fame would be automatic.

29% isn't all that great. Where did you get that stat from? I'd be curious how that ranks compared to some other guys.

3,000 hits looks nice, but combined with the 20-25 career home runs he's likely to end with, I don't know if the Hall of Fame would be automatic.

I read it on MLBTradeRumors.com. It's based on a stat that Bill James uses, but I don't know where to actually find it. 29% is higher than most of the ones I've read from James. I think I remember him saying Jeter has a 10% chance in his book, I think. I could be wrong though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/toy

This is how you figure the percentages.

Using that, Miguel Cabrera has a 26 percent chance for 500 homers, Dontrelle Willis has a 10% chance of 300 wins, Albert Pujols has a 97% chance to reach 500 homers, and a 26% chance at 756. Andruw Jones should finish his career with 620 homers and has a 97% chance for 500. Since 2003, Arod's chances of hitting 600 have stayed the same, but his projected career totals are down from 744 to 670.

If I pee on my hands, will that make me a better copy editor?

I read it on MLBTradeRumors.com. It's based on a stat that Bill James uses, but I don't know where to actually find it. 29% is higher than most of the ones I've read from James. I think I remember him saying Jeter has a 10% chance in his book, I think. I could be wrong though.

Uh...that formula says Jeter has a 66.1% chance actually.

Red Sox = Yankees

That was almost my point. :hmm

I mean, really can one of you Red Sox fans explain to me how the Red Sox management justified that whole mess about "not being able to compete" with the Yankees after the Abreu move?

I mean, really can one of you Red Sox fans explain to me how the Red Sox management justified that whole mess about "not being able to compete" with the Yankees after the Abreu move?

Before the $51.1 million offer I could have made an effort, but now I can't.

As some wag once said, being second in payroll to the Yankees is like being the second richest guy in the room behind Bill Gates.

You know what? It's good. Let the Sox and Yanks battle it out now on the field and we no longer have to hear silly red herring arguments. They are the same team now. The only relevant evidence going forward will be what happens on the field.

Play ball!

That was almost my point. :hmm

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I don't think there's any David vs. Goliath quality to the rivalry anymore.

Before the $51.1 million offer I could have made an effort, but now I can't.

As some wag once said, being second in payroll to the Yankees is like being the second richest guy in the room behind Bill Gates.

If you add the 15 mil they are looking to pay for JD Drew, plus the probably 10 mil. for Matzusaka , plus the posting fee, they'll spend more money than the Yankees next year.

I just hope we don't have to hear about the "Evil Empire" anymore from the idiotic Red Sox fans who have always somehow thought they should be the underdog when they outspend 30 teams. It's always annoyed me because the Red Sox are just as bad as the Yankees, and have been for years.

Yankee haters rejoice! Morneau MVP. If you're going to give to a Twin, at least give it to Johan.

I don't really have a problem with Jeter not winning, but one Chicago voter had him 6th. That's just ridiculous. The overrated backlash has now hit the media as well.

It's always annoyed me because the Red Sox are just as bad as the Yankees, and have been for years.

I know there is some hypocrisy in it but I spend a lot of time following the Red Sox and I don't hear the local pundits saying that the Sox are underdogs across the whole league. They mainly point out that the Yankees are able to do things that other teams can't afford to do.

If you look at the salaries (from USA Today) the Red Sox are consistently a distant second (or more) to the Yankees (and have been for years).

1999 Yankees 24% more than Boston

2000 Yankees 14%

2001 Yankees 3%

2002 Yankees 16%

2003 Yankees 54%

2004 Yankees 45%

2005 Yankees 69%

2006 Yankees 63%

And yes, I am sure you can take those numbers and show that the Red Sox salaries are X% higher than the league average. But I go back to my earlier comment that being second in payroll to the Yankees is like being the second richest guy in the room behind Bill Gates.

(And I also repeat my earlier comment that my argument would have more conviction prior to the Matsuzaka offer.)

It's always annoyed me because the Red Sox are just as bad as the Yankees, and have been for years.

And in your gripe the word "bad" = having deep pockets? I guess I'd rather that the team I route for is able to afford more often than not. If that's "bad," so be it.

To be in the same division as the Yankees has been a bane since at least the beginning of the Steinbrenner era, and not just for the Red Sox. With the FO team that purchased the Sox a few years ago, the pockets have gotten deeper, and as a fan of the team, this is good for me. This doesn't mean the Yankees won't generally scoop up any available veteran throughout the season by outbidding the majority of teams, including the Red Sox.

Yes, the Sox are second in payroll to the Yankees (which compared to the rest of the league ain't too shabby), but to say they're on par with them financially isn't accurate. And again, not a gripe (as it's a better place to be than as a Devil Rays fan competeing against the Yankees), but it's not accurate.

And in your gripe the word "bad" = having deep pockets? I guess I'd rather that the team I route for is able to afford more often than not. If that's "bad," so be it.

To be in the same division as the Yankees has been a bane since at least the beginning of the Steinbrenner era, and not just for the Red Sox. With the FO team that purchased the Sox a few years ago, the pockets have gotten deeper, and as a fan of the team, this is good for me. This doesn't mean the Yankees won't generally scoop up any available veteran throughout the season by outbidding the majority of teams, including the Red Sox.

Yes, the Sox are second in payroll to the Yankees (which compared to the rest of the league ain't too shabby), but to say they're on par with them financially isn't accurate. And again, not a gripe (as it's a better place to be than as a Devil Rays fan competeing against the Yankees), but it's not accurate.

Too say that the Sox aren't on par with the Yankees is completely inacurate. Just because they don't spend 200 million a year (on bad contracts) doesn't mean they don't way overpay for almost every free agent they get (Man-Ram, anyone?). Sure, it's nice as a fan, and I don't knock them for doing it, because I truly believe every team should spend as much as they feasibly can, but when Red Sox fans complain about the Yankees spending money, it's the ultimate example of a Pot calling a kettle black.

NEW YORK
Yankee haters rejoice! Morneau MVP. If you're going to give to a Twin, at least give it to Johan.

Something that might get overlooked in the whole MVP discussion: He is the third Canadian-born athlete to win an MVP in a major pro league this year, following Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash and San Jose Sharks center Joe Thornton.