Now playing from 13th Nov 2006

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent heard anything by her. But judging by every review ive read of it (and the fact that you havent seemed to play anything else in the past month :P ) it certainly sounds interesting. Im normally put off by extremely long songs though - I know it sounds like a cop out but I do have quite a short attention span at times. :blush

I may cue it up on my way to work in the morning.

though i'm a fan of long songs, the long ones on Ys are definately not typical "long songs". When I think of a long song, i think of a 3 minute song with lyrics and then maybe a jam/drone/sparse notes for another 7-8 minutes...but on Ys, she fills each song. With 16 minutes worth of lyrics, it's almost greater (in my opinion). you could always do Milk-Eyed Mender if the long stuff just doens't work for you!

2179.jpg

:wub

If I couldn't stand what I heard of her voice from her first album would I like this? I've been curious to check it out, but really haven't bothered because I was really pretty put-off by her weird voice when I heard stuff before. I am a big O'Rourke fan, and I'm really interested in hearing the production.

If I couldn't stand what I heard of her voice from her first album would I like this? I've been curious to check it out, but really haven't bothered because I was really pretty put-off by her weird voice when I heard stuff before. I am a big O'Rourke fan, and I'm really interested in hearing the production.

i absolutely despised the first record due to her voice... and i like this quite a bit...

that's not to say her voice doesn't still annoy me at times, but it's a lot more mature and doesn't crack nearly as much on this.

NP:

sufjan-d1-noel.jpg

'Tis terrible, and terribly overrated in my opinion. Somebody said it best when they commented that she sounds like a 4 year old girl who has overdosed on Calpol.

PS: I like Bjork

I think, like Solace said, her voice is a little more polished and softer than the first album (but I did actually like that one too mind). The music and the scope of the songs is really the biggest difference. To be honest, it's hard to say whether you'll like it or not, but I do recommend at least hearing it, cos you never know ...

Where did you order it from in the end? I'm wanting to treat myself but I've only found it on amazon...

Direct from the label.

Only

I'm doing it for a bit of both :D

Trouble is, I don't really like his music that much (it's alright, but he's not in my favourite list; put it that way), and the fact that they are christmas songs may mean they will have a really short shelf life, but that packaging (just like a puppy) is clearly not just for christmas.

NP.

sister winter - sufjan stevens (downloaded from asthmatic kitty records to help me decide if i want the boxset or not)

EDIT: BY THE WAY, IT'S ONLY

Its literally just turned up at work!

Can I just say the packaging is fantastic! Im not going to listen to it until we put our tree up though. Its far too early for Christmas songs yet.