Still No. 2 in the BCS and AP.

but the season ending #2 spot is USC's to lose.

Nowhere near as important (or hyped up) as Michigan - Ohio State, but USC vs. ND is going to be pretty awesome and has a huge bowl schedule impact.

but the season ending #2 spot is USC's to lose.

Nowhere near as important (or hyped up) as Michigan - Ohio State, but USC vs. ND is going to be pretty awesome and has a huge bowl schedule impact.

I know you & I have discussed this before,but for my money ND-USC is THE college football rivalry.

a good friend had a band based in columbus. he was originally from akron. that band was talking about towns they wanted to visit to play (what uber-indie bands do when they can't afford to "tour"). one guy suggested ann arbor. another guy was bothered by this. the one guy said the town was probably a lot like columbus and was probably cool. the other guy was seriously about to quit the band over this comment. funny shit.

In College Football...

-What matchup has seen the most national championship teams?

-What matchup has seen the most Heisman Trophy winners?

-What matchup has seen the most All-Americans?

-What matchup has seen the most future NFL hall-of-famers?

why...the answer to all of them....it's USC vs. ND!!

but, uh...you guys have been playing for longer, so thats nice.

In College Football...

Future NFL Hall of Famers? What does that have to do with the rivalry? Not a thing. And the others...well, they demonstrate that those teams have been good and have had some great players. That impacts the rivalry, sure, but doesn't prove anything.

The Michigan/OSU rivalry tops it because of not just the length of the rivalry, but also the drama of it. And I guarantee it's way more heated. There's a big regional aspect to Michigan vs. Ohio State that can't be replicated by schools that are as far away from each other as Notre Dame and USC. The fact that Notre Dame and USC don't compete with each other for a conference championship diminishes it as well. I have no doubt that in certain years that game is as big as any, but year to year it just doesn't hold.

In College Football...

:cheers you took the words right out of my mouth.

But to each his own...I only said for MY money...ya'll can do whatever you want with yours.There's folks in FLA (UM/FSU) & Ala. (Aub./Ala.) that would argue for those too.

In College Football...

:rolleyes Those measures have nothing to do with a rivalry between schools. Sure, USC-ND is a good game most of the time it's played, but it's just not a rivalry on the level of Michigan-Ohio State, Michigan-Notre Dame, Florida-Georgia, Florida-Florida State, Auburn-Alabama, or heck, even Western Michigan-Central Michigan. Yes, that's right -- I believe WMU vs. CMU is a much better rivalry than ND-USC.

...or heck, even Western Michigan-Central Michigan. Yes, that's right -- I believe WMU vs. CMU is a much better rivalry than ND-USC.

I don't have a dog in this fight. However, as one curmudgeon to another, I think you may have just shot yourself in the foot.

I don't have a dog in this fight. However, as one curmudgeon to another, I think you may have just shot yourself in the foot.

:lol

Yes, overreaching to make a point. In truth, the WMU-CMU rivalry has often been more about which campus can sustain more damage following the game. But still, that matchup at least feels like a bona fide rivalry, and ND-USC just never has to me. The fact that they're 1,817 miles away from each other doesn't help.

Poor Shawn Crable.

That's not to say I've completely forgiven him for making the dumbest mistake of the whole game.

I'm late to the party on this one (still recovering from the game). First off, hats off to Michigan for giving me 16 heart attacks on Saturday. Don't be too hard on Crable. In light of the outcome, yeah, I guess his mistake ends up looming rather large. But at least he was in there being aggressive and trying to make something happen in a clutch situation. In my book, the two botched-snaps by OSU's center in the second half and the two drive-sustaining penalties on the OSU defense in the first half are strong runners-up in my book for the dumbest play awards. If not for those, the Crable penalty would have been insignificant.

Troy Smith will have a a great career after college

As an insurance salesman or P.E. teacher.

:huh See, I still don't get comments like this. A year or two ago I might have agreed that he wasn't a pro-caliber quarterback, but have you even seen him play this year? Dude makes some fantastic reads on his receivers, rarely makes bad decisions, has a cannon for an arm, AND he can still beat you with his feet if he absolutely has to. What's not to like?

I think Smith will do just fine in the NFL. In addition to being a great athlete, he really seems to understand the position. I don't think his possible height disadvantage (he's listed around 6'1" but may only be 5'11") will end up being that big of a deal.

If he doesn't go in the first round, someone's going to get themselves a heck of a steal in the second.

I think Smith will do just fine in the NFL. In addition to being a great athlete, he really seems to understand the position. I don't think his possible height disadvantage (he's listed around 6'1" but may only be 5'11") will end up being that big of a deal.

Yeah, size is really the only drawback I can see. Watching him develop the last few years has been fun. In the beginning, yes, he was the "running QB" in the 2-man rotation. He had a strong arm but he didn't fully trust it yet, so he used his feet a lot. I give him all the credit in the world for the amount of time he has put into studying the game and making himself a better player.

No idea how he will fare as a pro, but if he slips down past the first couple rounds, somebody is definitely going to land one hell of a steal. (Note to my much-maligned Washington Redskins--you haven't had a decent starting QB in a couple decades. Why not take chance??)

I still don't get comments like this. A year or two ago I might have agreed that he wasn't a pro-caliber quarterback, but have you even seen him play this year? Dude makes some fantastic reads on his receivers, rarely makes bad decisions, has a cannon for an arm, AND he can still beat you with his feet if he absolutely has to. What's not to like?

I'm not saying he isn't a good college quarterback. I'm just saying he has no chance in the NFL. He will join the ranks of Gino Toretta and Jason White.

:huh See, I still don't get comments like this. A year or two ago I might have agreed that he wasn't a pro-caliber quarterback, but have you even seen him play this year? Dude makes some fantastic reads on his receivers, rarely makes bad decisions, has a cannon for an arm, AND he can still beat you with his feet if he absolutely has to. What's not to like?

He reminds me of Drew Brees, in that he's quick enough to get out of the pocket if he has to, but he's just a smart quarterback who doesn't mind throwing it or handing it off. I think he's got a much brighter future in the NFL than Vince Young, for what it's worth.