Underated Songwriters-Pt 2.

On second thought, I may need to retract my Neil Diamond nomination for this thread, as he's a member of the Songwriter's Hall of Fame. Not too underrated, I guess.

How about that Warren Zevon, though? I didn't see his name on that list. He's got some incredible tunes and a real way with words in those tunes....

Also: Robert Hunter, who wrote/co-wrote the large majority of the greatest Grateful Dead tunes. He's worked with lots of other artists, as well, though; including Jim Lauderdale, the New riders of the Purple Sage, and a few more modern bands that escape me presently.

Heck, he even wrote for Bob Dylan. But, outside of the "jam band" scene he's not real well known.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, am just repeating myself from the other thread and saying:

John Prine

Bruce Springsteen -- yes people get it, but he's so good sometimes I want to kill myself / never touch a guitar again

Alex Chilton -- of Big Star, way ahead of his time

Steve Earle's early stuff -- Guitar Town is such perfect straight-ahead "guy in his 20s / 30s" Americana angst

Mark Oliver Everett aka E of the Eels -- sure he's too jokey sometimes, but some great songs in there

Mary Chapin Carpenter -- also she's smart enough to play Lucinda Williams tunes

If we're talking about songwriters to include music/instrument composition, then I concur. If we're talking in the simplistic sense of lyrics, absolutely not. Now, I love Zappa (one of my first concerts in 1980, Hartford, CT) and grew up listening to him.

Obviously, an astounding guitarist. He was a master at orchestrating his ever-changing band and having them trained to switch direction in a jam/tune with the flick of a baton or the raising of a finger. He was brilliant that way and demanded a lot of the folks that played in his various incarnations. His musical compositions (whether with lyrics involved or not) were generally very complex, in an orchestral vein.

If we're talking about lyrics, though.....c'mon. His lyrics were always secondary to the instruments and were, for the most part, goofy and non-sensical.

Yes I agree. After I posted I thought I should have said underrated as a musician/composer. I do remember back in the day just really having a good time with his lyrics too.

I was going to say I was at that show in Hartford but I just double checked my stub and it says 11/6/81 @ the Hartford Civic Center. B)

stevie nicks/lindsey buckingham

I think maybe we need to actually define underated. I mean, who does think these guys are great songwriters-public or critics? And I saw George Harrison above which doesn't qualify. He's a freaking Beatle and All Things Must Pass is known to be one of the best albums of all time.

To me the perfect example is someone like Amiee Mann or Josh Rouse.

I think maybe we need to actually define underated. I mean, who does think these guys are great songwriters-public or critics? And I saw George Harrison above which doesn't qualify. He's a freaking Beatle and All Things Must Pass is known to be one of the best albums of all time.

I think Harrison is definitely eligible. His name wasn't Lennon or McCartney, after all.

Since John Prine was part of the folk revival in Chicago when I got here in the early 70s, I guess there has not been a time since then that I have not known about him. His first several records were (are) unbelievably good. He is still good, but those salad days still seem to me to be the best. At the time everyone was singing his songs.

LouieB

Absolutely.....The Missing Years, from a few years back, is his late career stunner. Great stuff.

Sadly John has had some health problems in the last decade, but then again he has lasted longer than his good friend and nearly equally talented songwriter friend Steve Goodman.

LouieB

i bet if you asked the average person on the street, they wouldn't know who prine or clark is

I think if you asked the average person on the street, they wouldn't know who our Vice President is, or at least our Secretary of State.

Point being, I wouldn't call John Prine underrated, because anybody who knows a bit about music knows he's up there with the best.

I just couldn't resist putting Prine's name out there. I know he's well-respected. The guy is probably deserving of his own thread ( there's been a number of NY & Dylan threads here ).

Seriously: Daniel Bejar, Jeff Lynne

Dan is amazing, Jeff Lynne, not so much.

Also agree with Randy Newman as either underrated/underlistened.

In terms of Neil Diamond, I always like watching/listening to his appearance at the Last Waltz. "Dry Your Eyes" is a pretty good song.

Can I say David Berman? Its hard to give him enough credit as a songwriter, just amazing.

I'll throw in J. Mascis, sometimes it just gets lost in the fuzz and distortion but he writes some great songs.