Underated Songwriters-Pt 2.

Along those same lines, I would submit his now wife, Iris Dement. My Life is one of my most favorite albums. I suspect her voice isn't for everybody, although I really take to it. Wish she would tour more in the midwest...it's been too long since I've seen her perform.

(And I must learn more about Greg Brown...only have heard a song or two, suggestions on where to start album-wise?)

Let's toss in Greg's daughter, Pieta Brown, as well. I've seen Greg many times, and I'll agree he's a very decent songwriter. I like his daughter's stuff, as well.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no God but Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen is his prophet.
My son, Brother Ray is currently obsessed with Bob Dylan, listening exclusively to him 24/7. Meanwhile my daughter, the former VCer Tweedy's Gurl, hates everthing Bruce with the exception of Nebraska, which she tolerates grudgingly.

Hey, isn't anyone going to mention John Prine here??

LouieB

How is she by the way and good for brother Ray.

I just never got into those other dudes. I respect them - I know they have talent -but I just don't dig them.

Which other dudes??

Both are good. Rosie is doing the film and acting thing at SIU and Ray has finally sworn off video games with his friends.

LouieB

Which other dudes??

Both are good. Rosie is doing the film and acting thing at SIU and Ray has finally sworn off video games with his friends.

LouieB

That is good then - any so-called "new Dylans" - although, I don't I have ever heard of Randy Newman called that before.

There is no God but Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen is his prophet.

Another Tramp...I LOVE IT!

By far the most underated songwriter today would have to be ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO!

A most worthy artist.

I have everyone of his cd's in my iPod.

• 4 months later...

I'll add another vote for Josh Rouse.

he makes pop music the way it should be made....if the larger public had ANY taste he would be HUGE!!

but they dont..so he is underappreciated.

I dont think Nick Drake is underappreciated - the guy died over 30 years ago and everything I read about him says he is bigger and more appreciated now then he ever was when he was alive. he gets the amount of "props" he deserves.

Actually I find Neil Diamond's performance in the Last Waltz totally irritating, but that is just me.

LouieB

2nded

Neil Diamond is always skipped over during the Last Waltz. I get so much more out of watching fat Van Morrison do his kicks.

As for underrated songwriters,

Daniel Johnston's songwriting still blows me away. Wowwaweewa.

I picked up the 4-disc retrospective at the library and just couldn't get through it at all.
I got that for a gift and i have to say that I love that he did the soundtrack to "The 3 Amigos."
anyone think that nick drake is underrated?? i sure do!
Isn't he the guy who returned from his grave only to sellout on VW commercials? :shifty
Are these guys really underrated?? They have been widely covered by singers for years.

LouieB

I love these guys but if i mention them most of the time I get a "who?"

I am on a woody guthrie kick right now. As for the 'New-Dylans', why not spend some time with the 'old-dylans', led belly says hi.

I am on a woody guthrie kick right now. As for the 'New-Dylans', why not spend some time with the 'old-dylans', led belly says hi.
In that case let's give Hank Williams and Lord Buckley a couple big shout outs too.....

LouieB

Along those same lines, I would submit his now wife, Iris Dement. My Life is one of my most favorite albums. I suspect her voice isn't for everybody, although I really take to it.

So we share one most favorite album. :thumbup

I am not a big Greg Brown fan, but I do have a copy of "If I Had Known" which is a pretty nice collection from many of his albums over the past couple decades and seems representative of his work.

LouieB

I don't love everything he does, but Further In is a really beautiful collection of songs, great playing, melodies and voice.

If you except some Canadian girls maybe, I've yet to meet someone who loves Ron Sexsmith as much as me. But I'm not sure it means he's underrated. But I sure think he is, in regards of his amazing gift for soft melodies. I mean, Paul McCartney can just dream of licking his ankles. Clearly not his bank account, though.