no, they actually didn't. i know becuase I was here and I was into it. soccer has been marketed every which way from sunday in this country and it hasn't stuck yet. it ain't ever going to either. I played for 17 years, was a regional all-star, and now coach and I only marginally care.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, they actually didn't. i know becuase I was here and I was into it. soccer has been marketed every which way from sunday in this country and it hasn't stuck yet. it ain't ever going to either. I played for 17 years, was a regional all-star, and now coach and I only marginally care.

I was into it too, and for a brief time, the NASL was big news. I attended sold-out Chicago Sting games at Wrigley Field and a nearly sold-out Detroit Express game at the Silverdome. There were exhibition tours of NASL teams (e.g., the Sting once played at Western Michigan University's football stadium before a large crowd). The attendance figures went way up during the Pel

David Beckham, from what I can tell, is a washed up player who couldn't cut it in England any more and didn't want to play after the Captain title was taken from him. This is hardly the type of player that is going to light America on fire.

He is a soap opera at this point. Nothing more and nothing less. Soccer's best shot at getting popular here is for a Gretzky or Jordan type figure to emerge -- young -- that can mature in front of his country and perform well on the international stage in the World Cup.

This is nothing more than theatre. Beckham does not bring legitimacy to MLS. It's just a circus.

And yes, Americans are idiots.

we just simply don't have the history here with the game. there are no cultural underpinnings. no love and fascination passed on from generation to generation. no international superstars born, raised and nurtured here. our best athletes have too many other choices that have higher public profiles. Our talent pool is instantaneously diluted. bringing a non-american to play in a league that doesn't have the talent pool of the best leagues in the world... people flocked to see lance armstrong race whenever he raced domestically, but they still don't care about nor understand bicycle racing.

on another note maybe we can put together a VC travel team

He is a soap opera at this point. Nothing more and nothing less. Soccer's best shot at getting popular here is for a Gretzky or Jordan type figure to emerge -- young -- that can mature in front of his country and perform well on the international stage in the World Cup.

yea but every time a Gretzky or a Jordan figure emerges...Europe steals em. I guess thats why I am excited about Beckham coming. Hopefully if it does catch on in the US, we will be able to fund a player of that caliber. Until then we will be stuck with washed up athletes and kids who cant cut it over-seas

...and I'd so be down for a VC soccer team hehe

God I can't wait to have that hairy man sex with you...

I would work in that garden.

:omg

I still don't get NASCAR...

Any "sport" that is, in actuality, just something that you might normally do while hanging out with a bunch of friends while getting trashed makes for questionable TV. This includes: bowling, golf, poker, car racing. :unsure

how can bringing in the worlds most talked about athlete not bring attention to MLS?? I personally think that this is the sort of boost the MLS has long been awaiting. If it generates ratings then it generates profits for clubs. Therefore we can afford to keep good athletes in the MLS instead of having them play over in the EPL once they gain popularity. I am not saying that having Beckham come to the US will really have that much impact on the league, but it will at least get people talking about it. I goto school in Wisconsin and 3/4ths of the people I talk to don't even know that MLS exists.

How come if this guy is the world's most talked about athlete this is the first time I've ever heard of him.