• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definately going to bring some popularity for the MLS but as for the Galaxy, $250 million sucks. Beckham was on the starting XI only nine times at Real Madrid and only won two of those games. That being said, I'm stoked for the Fire v. Galaxy game. To the max!

Lacrosse is the national (summer) sport of Canada. :P

Canadians definitely have good taste in sports. Hockey and lacrosse are both awesome IMO.

Look out for our Coyotes. Gretzky seems to have this thing on the right track. We're bouncing back from injury and the Yanic Pearreault and Mikael Tellqvist signings have been huge.

This is definately going to bring some popularity for the MLS but as for the Galaxy, $250 million sucks. Beckham was on the starting XI only nine times at Real Madrid and only won two of those games. That being said, I'm stoked for the Fire v. Galaxy game. To the max!

I'll see you at the Fires new stadium :cheers

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!!

(i like that part)

yea, i've been tring to learn spanish via telemundo, but that's my favorite part too.

where and when i grew up, there was no such thing available to kids so i never played in my life and prolly never watched soccer till college in the early eighties.

i love it now and wish it got more air time, like alot more airtime.

also, from a parents perspective, i'll take 7 year olds playing soccer over 7 year olds playing softball or baseball any day of the week.

i wish the beckham deal would help, but i'm more than a little pessimistic that it would change someone who watches football/baseball/basketball regularly into a soccer fan. in fact, i'm pretty sure it won't do a damn thing.

:ohwell

Does anyone else here play Fifa 07? The greatest part is that you're able to set the language to Spanish and suddenly, everything about the game is en espanol! Even the announcers! It's thrilling to actually hear "Goooollllll!" in a video game. But right, Becks. G Willy, are you in Section 8? I haven't bought any tickets yet, I'm thinking the ten game flex pass.

how can bringing in the worlds most talked about athlete not bring attention to MLS??

Remember Pele and the New York Cosmos?

At best it will be a fleeting bump in interest.

In ten years when this generation is going to be adults I can easily see soccer taking over hockey or basketball as a pasttime sport to watch.
:rotfl

I think you're seriously overestimating hockey's popularity in the U.S., Ace.

Despite its problems, soccer's popularity is slowly inching upwards. I doubt the NHL can say the same. Even before the lockout, it was difficult to still think of the NHL as one of the "major" sports.

I agree that in ten years, it's quite possible that soccer will pass hockey in terms of fans/viewers.

Basketball, on the other hand ... that ain't gonna happen.

soccer may even get both of those hockey fans!

I've been reading other boards (sports and otherwise) and it seems by most accounts beckham is well past his prime at an age where the best midfielders are just coming into theirs, and was by many accounts over rated to begin with. This is in response to (yet again) the previously posted idea that he's the most talked about sports star in the world. I can't get enough of that.

I've been reading other boards (sports and otherwise) and it seems by most accounts beckham is well past his prime at an age where the best midfielders are just coming into theirs, and was by many accounts over rated to begin with. This is in response to (yet again) the previously posted idea that he's the most talked about sports star in the world. I can't get enough of that.

This is true. He's pretty much useless these days. His one remaining skill of note is his free kicks, but let's face it, anyone can take a free kick. I haven't set foot on a pitch in years and I could probably still put a decent shot on goal (that was one of my strengths too).

In the midfield, he has become extremely tentative and apparently refuses to get his uniform dirty. I can't remember the last time I saw him make a slide tackle (though admittedly I haven't seen him play in a while). He avoids physical contact with other players as much as possible.

I think you're seriously overestimating hockey's popularity in the U.S., Ace.

Despite its problems, soccer's popularity is slowly inching upwards. I doubt the NHL can say the same. Even before the lockout, it was difficult to still think of the NHL as one of the "major" sports.

I agree that in ten years, it's quite possible that soccer will pass hockey in terms of fans/viewers.

Basketball, on the other hand ... that ain't gonna happen.

Well, I was referring more to the basketball angle, but I don't think it will overtake hockey either. I guess it depends on how it's measured though. There's simply too much history and a deeper-rooted fan base that unfortunately took a huge hit with the lockout a couple years ago. Take Chicago as an example. The Blackhawks used to be #1 in this town. It's hard to believe now, but it's true. If anything, as long as they don't screw it up, the NHL should slowly regain it's footing over the next 10 years. Maybe this is all just wishful thinking on my part, I dont know. There's definitely more evidence pointing towards the negative.

I certainly don't deny the growing popularity of soccer. It will be interesting to see what happens.

show me someone else who can still bend a ball like that in his 30s...yes beckham sucks as a midfielder but hey, I'd love to see beckham scoring 6 or 7 goals this season on free kicks. That and shoot outs are about the only thing American fans find exciting....that and Peter Crouchs overplayed robot dance

Kaysettes: I goto school in wisconsin so I am probably not gonna get a flexpass. But I missed the games this year in the new stadium and if Becks is coming to Chicago, you can bet I'll be there. And of course, I will be with the barn burners.

show me someone else who can still bend a ball like that in his 30s...yes beckham sucks as a midfielder but hey, I'd love to see beckham scoring 6 or 7 goals this season on free kicks. That and shoot outs are about the only thing American fans find exciting....that and Peter Crouchs overplayed robot dance

Kaysettes: I goto school in wisconsin so I am probably not gonna get a flexpass. But I missed the games this year in the new stadium and if Becks is coming to Chicago, you can bet I'll be there. And of course, I will be with the barn burners.

Aha, sounds good. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to every game so, if for whatever reason you'll be down here and looking for a ticket on game day, be sure to give me a ring. Currently, I'm working on putting together a drum section for my high school girls soccer team, state champs! Should be fun/ obnoxious.

I got to see go see Becks play back in my days spent in Manchester - so, I have satisfied that desire thoroughly. :)

That said, I would like to see a Chicago Fire game sometime. After all of my time in England, obsessing over football and going to matches from Newcastle to London, I would like to see how it is done over here.