John Frusciante Solo Material

I'm a big fan of John Frusciante.

I haven't heard all of them, but here's how I rank the ones I have:

To Record Only Water for Ten Days

Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt

Shadows Collide With People

Curtains

Smile from the Streets That You Hold (sort of crappy)

He's one of my favorite guitar players out there, but the guitar skills often don't get a big work out in the solo work. His songwriting is usually pretty solid though, and at times he's very willing to experiment. His singing has improved a lot over the last few years too, IMO.

Frusciante is a very talented artist. All the albums he put out are very good. The albums he made for the record collection label, each made in a matter of days are all very different and well worth picking up.

-the will to death

-ataxia - automatic writing

-the dc ep

-inside of emptiness

-a sphere in the heart of darkness

-curtains

I first got into Fruscantes solo stuff when he put out To Record Only Water for Ten Days. Ive probably listened to that album like a biggilion times. I know for this album it was just recently after he had gotten out of rehab and he recorded the whole thing one audio layer at a time in the basement of his house. I think the reason I like it soo much is because its just sooo raw. It doesn't sound produced at all. Not to mention his voice is a lil eery. Since then Ive gotten some of his other albums and I do like his new one as well.

P.S. can anyone tell me what the fuck the track "Your Pussy's Glued To A Building On Fire" on Niandre Lads is all about... I want to know what other people think about it.

I first got into Fruscantes solo stuff when he put out To Record Only Water for Ten Days. Ive probably listened to that album like a biggilion times. I know for this album it was just recently after he had gotten out of rehab and he recorded the whole thing one audio layer at a time in the basement of his house. I think the reason I like it soo much is because its just sooo raw. It doesn't sound produced at all. Not to mention his voice is a lil eery. Since then Ive gotten some of his other albums and I do like his new one as well.

P.S. can anyone tell me what the fuck the track "Your Pussy's Glued To A Building On Fire" on Niandre Lads is all about... I want to know what other people think about it.

I think it just means that, well, some pussies are dangerous, ya know?

the ice cream store I worked at had John's solo stuff playing all the time, I would consider myself a fan but not as big as some people I know. Even his early cracked out albums have special moments. I consider him a hidden gem, more people should know his solo work.

• 2 years later...

i discovered this guy thanks to a video playing in American Eagle, don't ask why i was there, and have been doing my best to track down each of his solo albums. i've acquired the bulk of them with my newest acquisition being his latest, The Empyrean. its amazing how many different genres he can successfully pull off. for those of you who haven't listened to this guy yet, rush out to your local CD shop and stock up. you'll be glad you did. btw, i've also been reevaluating the RHCP catalog with a fresh perspective. i've always shunned them off as Top 40 phonies but they've got it as well.

I have been caning Bloodsugar...this past week or so and wondering why it went from that awesome album to the saccharine sweet shite like Californication and Arcadium.

I have been toying with the idea of picking up some solo Frusciante myself.