My wife and I are considering buying a iPod shuffle for our nephew for his birthday. I love my new 80GB and thought an iPod would be best to get him as well, though he doesn't need one quite as large. My questions is: how well does the iPod shuffle work without a view window? I'm not sure how you see what song you are playing or choose a song if you have a specific one in mind. I have done some googling but can't seem to find out so I'd appreciate anyone with some experience to let me know how it works and if it's pretty convenient. Thanks.

i bought one for working out last weekend, so far i like it, but the lack of screen is definitely a big pain in the ass honestly...

there's a lot of nice 1-2gig mp3 players foar around $60-100 that have screens (and most even have FM)

take a look at iRiver, Samsung, & SanDisk

I like the Shuffle. It's uncomplicated, which is good for us old people, and apparently has the best sound of all the iPods. (At least the first generation did.)

the best way to improve the sound of the ipod is to get some headphones other than the earbuds that apple ships. they are OKAY, but far from premium.

Certainly. I bought a $40 pair of Sonys as I couldn't quite pull the trigger on the $70 moisture-proof Sennheisers.

I was under the impression that with the shuffle, you couldn't really select what song you wanted to hear. I think your only options are to play everything in order, or to play everything on shuffle.

no, you can select what song you want to hear, you just don't have anyway to know other than by listening, so it takes a while to skip to say a Zwan song....