Another harvest of Neil Young

it does look good on the one hand, but all i kept thinking was - and this is if i had the money to even think about buying it - it'd get very tedious very quickly to try and navigate all that when you want to stick on a song or two. he's really pulled it out the bag with innovation on the one hand, but failed to grasp that people want things easily at their fingertips - they don't want to have to traverse a fake filing cabinet in search of a song every time they get the urge to play it.

also - neil young is not good looking enough for me to want to look at THAT many pics of him. well, and he's a man too, but you get my point.

good points. it doesn't look like a user friendly thing. especially sitting on your couch listening to the tunes and trying to read shit on the television. disc set and books would do just fine. people that dig music dig being able to sit down, pop the songs they want to hear immediately, and look at art, writing and pictures. he's missed the point.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NY Archives has been lovingly crafted as a work of art in itself... to be experienced as an archaeological dig, of sorts. It's a treasure to unearth slowly, with care.

If (!) this is ever released, I'm going to buy it. No question.

I don't know about all the rest - but I would like to see Journey Through The Past.

I have a bootleg video copy of it.......It really is shit except for some short snippets of CSNY concert footage that never has a chance to develop.....You are not missing much.......You can probably find some of it on YouTube.....

Here's the best part.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buNFC4Y2B60

I've seen parts of it - almost won a "VHS rental copy" via Ebay many years ago. As I have said more than once, I do however, own the soundtrack, and Time Fades Away on vinyl.

Someone should put out a boxset of Journey Through The Past - along with the rest:

Human Highway (1982)

Made in Heaven (1987)

'68 (1988)

some dude on rust list posted this on the archives yahoo list. it seems as accurate as we have at this point. my thoughts are 'meh'. nothing too spectacular. few unreleased tunes, but no bombshells. riverboat will probably be good.

Latest Track Listing Guess

No one asked for this, but here is my latest thinking.

Confirmed Contents Summary:

48 Unreleased (of which 4 are hidden)

-15 Previously Unreleased Song (N)

-24 Previously Unreleased version (A)

-8 Previously unreleased mix (M)

-1 Previously unreleased montage

80 rel (of which 8 are hidden)

-70 rel ®

-10 limited rel (L)

20 videos/film clips/trailers (expect 1

There's definitely some intriguing stuff on there (The Squires material and the untinkered stuff from his solo debut jump right out). However, the amount of previously released stuff (in particular Fillmore and Massey) make it hard to justify spending over 300 ducats for this. Also, Riverboat is very, very similar to the recently released Canterbury.

There's definitely some intriguing stuff on there (The Squires material and the untinkered stuff from his solo debut jump right out). However, the amount of previously released stuff (in particular Fillmore and Massey) make it hard to justify spending over 300 ducats for this. Also, Riverboat is very, very similar to the recently released Canterbury.

good points. early, early stuff will be interesting from and archives perspective, but nothing i can see listening to more than once or twice. as you say, 'an untinkered' solo debut would be incredible, but we already get a taste of those tunes on canterbury. and yes, riverboat will be a rehash of canterbury, but maybe with a bit better production and neil being a bit more polished. the only real stuff i am looking for is good quality versions of Everybody's Alone and It Might Have Been. these are unreleased, but we already knew about them! i was really thinking we were gonna get at least 10 or more unknown/unreleased tracks, not just outtakes and alternate mixes etc. i mean, this is not jazz we're talking about where outtakes are really worth something. it's really just a random collection of neil young songs, all of which we've heard. and the most annoying thing is that the best stuff, Massey Hall, is already released and to get a few more tunes one has to buy them again! so damn frustrating. it's really too bad that neil couldn't just do what dylan and springsteen did. just put out a 3-4 disc set of all of his unreleased songs. my hunch is that there isn't much there. i think neil has used most of his material. the only revelations will come with Homegrown and that's about it. i mean, who really cares about all the outtakes from old ways and blue notes?

c

Since Neil Young is such an important figure in Canadian culture, it should be mandatory for every public library in the country to have the complete NY Archives series. There should also be a govt grant that we can apply for to purchase a Blu-ray player. ... And a national holiday if it ever gets released. :canada

Since Neil Young is such an important figure in Canadian culture, it should be mandatory for every public library in the country to have the complete NY Archives series. There should also be a govt grant that we can apply for to purchase a Blu-ray player. ... And a national holiday if it ever gets released. :canada

:lol

another issue is, if blue ray, and even CD can hold so much info, why only 10-12 songs per disc. seems to me that he could condense and make early years one disc at least.

c

:lol

another issue is, if blue ray, and even CD can hold so much info, why only 10-12 songs per disc. seems to me that he could condense and make early years one disc at least.

c

I read in one of the articles somewhere, that he plans to add stuff to the discs - as time goes on, by way of downloads.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nme.com/news/neil-young/42095

this is stating that neil is gonna put out a new album called Fork in the Road before the archives. guess toast is no the back burner too. oh well. i remember the website in 2005 saying, "Prairie Wind coming, archives to follow." :stunned

Someone should raid the warehouse.

From Thrasher's Wheat:

Potato Hole

As we blogged on last year's rumors, Booker T, The Drive-By Truckers and Neil Young have recorded a new album titled POTATO HOLE.

With backing from the Drive-By Truckers and guitar contributions from Neil Young on nine of the album

Link is now "forbidden." Here we go again. :lol

I saw the link as of 11PM last night........The CD box set version appeared not to have any video included.......Also Massey Hall and Crazy Horse Live at the Fillmore were included which most of us already have I'm sure.......The DVD version was not clear as to if it was DVD audio only or DVD with film clips and such as well as audio (music)........Neil has put out a couple of special edition DVD music only albums when he thought this was the best way to achieve the best sounding recording.....I don't think they would play on a CD player......He's making this too hard......Put the video on DVD and the music on CD and be done with it already for Christ's sake......

From The Guardian

Neil Young fans upset that he is releasing a new album

Old Shakey's musical commentary on the financial crisis is apparently so bad his most devoted fans are rooting for the record company not to release it

Neil Young has announced the release of a new album, and no one could be more distressed than his fans.

For months now, Young obsessives have been awaiting the release of Archives Volume 1

ironically, neil has dropped all the new tunes except one in his recent setlists in australia. he knows their shit. what i'm wondering is if fork is in the vein of living with war. just a toss off. or is it a legit album. he's really been resting pissing in the wind since are you passionate. it's like he's trying to prove to himself that he can still write relevant music and that the archives are his end. that being said, if the new tunes are recorded in a nice warm way like greendale with dry vocals etc., this may not be a bad listen.

:dontgetit