Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know this doesn't have anything to do with any of his archives or boxsets, but i didn't want to start another thread....

NEIL YOUNG IS COMING TO LETHBRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be trying to get tickets today! April 25th...it will be the perfect send-off for me. Neil Young, and then moving to Vancouver... YAY!! :dance :dance :dance

Neil is also playing the Sault, just got my tickets yesterday, sort of crazy how I've seen him three times in three years now in all different cities 8-10 hours away and then he comes to play our 5,000 seat arena in my hometown. Whatever I am certainly not complaining.

Speaking of news links - check this out:

Thrasher's Wheat link

From Relix:

Neil Young Angry As Warner-Reprise Pulls YouTube Videos

Written by Richard B. Simon

Friday, 27 February 2009

Neil Young's camp has announced in a statement that Warner/Reprise, Young's label, has pulled all Warner/Reprise videos from YouTube -- including Young's straight-to-YouTube viral video "Fork In The Road," the title track from Young's upcoming album.

In a move that was made without consulting artists, Warner Reprise has pulled all Warner-Reprise videos from You Tube. This is apparently part of a negotiating strategy the label is engaging in while making some sort of deal with YouTube.

Since there has been no communication from the label to the artists, it is not known by artists what the deal is about or how it impacts the artists. One thing the artists do know is that one of the best ways of communicating with the people has been pulled out from under them. This has an impact that will affect all artists who make videos.

Young has used YouTube to kick off viral marketing for the album, which will drop in late March, and claims over 100,000 hits.

Young and label-mates are threatening to speak out publicly against the move Monday. Young's management is currently meeting with label representatives to resolve the situation.

Young's Lincvolt team, meanwhile, is preparing the electric-hybrid 1959 Lincoln Continental for imminent departure to Washington, DC, to demonstrate to lawmakers the feasibility of converting old gas-guzzlers to biofuel-sippers. They're streaming live video of the preparations at http://www.ustream.tv.

Neil Young To Release "Fork In The Road"

March 03, 2009 04:50 PM ET

David J. Prince, N.Y.

Neil Young's most recent obsession - a retooled 1959 Lincoln Continental that runs entirely on alternative energy - is the inspiration behind "Fork in the Road," the 63-year old musician's new studio album due April 7 via Reprise.

Recorded in 2008 between tour dates with his live band Ben Keith (pedal steel guitar, keyboards), Chad Cromwell (drums), Rick Rosas (bass), Pegi Young (vocals) and Anthony Crawford (vocals, guitar), "Fork" is a further rumination on Young's social and ecological concerns.

The album's main themes are drawn from Young's involvement with the Lincvolt Project, a joint effort between the singer and biodiesel pioneer Johnathan Goodwin to develop a commercially viable electric power system for automobiles. The prototype Lincvolt vehicle, Young's own 1959 Lincoln Continental, is now completely finished, and a documentary is planned about the car's first cross-country gasoline-free road trip to Washington, DC. Young even named one of the album's songs, "Johnny Magic,' after his Lincvolt partner.

A special edition of "Fork in the Road," which includes a DVD that features three music videos and a live concert video of Young performing the Beatles

it's missing a few songs he played live. Sea Change is one. I forget the other. thrasherswheat had a link to some sound samples. the link is gone now. i did hear the samples though. atrocious. i think i'm done with neil for a while. magnolia electric seem to be doing neil a lot better for me!

Neil Young Supports Warner Music Group's YouTube Artist Takedown Policy

March 3, 2009 8:39 p.m. by Matthew Richardson

It's incredibly obnoxious to go to YouTube to watch a video only to find out that the audio has been muted because of copyright considerations. The big record labels are easy villains in this case, made out to be greedy corporate titans keeping the music from the masses. But according to Neil Young, not really.

Reported by the Wired magazine blog, Young says the problem is that Google failed to fairly compensate Warner for the use of its artists' music on YouTube. Warner apparently signed an early deal with Google, one that didn't adequately compensate artists and copyright holders. Young wrote on his website, "YouTube was in its fledgling stages when Warner made an early deal to work with them. Today, other labels have made more lucrative deals for their artists at YouTube."

If those are the circumstances, then it makes Warner's dispute with Google (which owns Youtube) sound vaguely similar to the writer's strike of last year. Although, Google spokesman Chris Dale wrote that Warner is more to blame than Google is:

"We have deals with all of the other major record labels and with musicians, songwriters, and other independent creative producers. It is the record labels' responsibility to represent and pay their artists."

At any rate, there's no indication that you will be able to watch your fan-made video for "Old Man" any time soon.

WARNER REPRISE FAMILY PENALIZED FOR BEING EARLY

By Neil Young, Reprise recording artist

Warner Reprise records was one of the very first to embrace You Tube. You Tube was in its fledgling stages when Warner made an early deal to work with them. Today, other labels have made more lucrative deals for their artists at You Tube.

So You Tube is the new radio.....but not quite.

Radio used to introduce music to the masses and was crucial to every new release, with identical compensation for every artist and label. Since You Tube has given some labels better deals that others, the Media Giant is treating artists unequally, depending on which label they are on.

Today's web world has created a new way. Artists today can go directly to the people. There is nothing standing between the artists and their audience. Freedom of expression reigns. People today feel that they should be able to get all the music and art that they want, from the artists who they appreciate. When that conduit is broken, the connection is weakened.

If all artists were compensated equally, and the people decided who had the hits and misses by virtue of number of downloads and plays, there could be no grounds for disagreement that would cause the facilitator of the art to break the conduit between an artist and an audience. That is what has happened to Warner Bros artists caught in You Tube's web. You Tube has a responsibility to respect the artists it facilitates and resist punishing them to make a business point.

It is time for industry wide standards of artist's compensation on the web.

Reprise and Warner Bros artists deserve what artists from other labels are getting. Let the people decide what constitutes success. Warner Bros and Reprise are looking for a level playing field. Until they get one, these problems may not go away. That is the essence of the issue between Warner Bros Reprise and You Tube.

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/neilyo..._light_a_candle

video for Light A Candle. prolly gonna be the best song on the new album. despite my initial reaction to the songs, i'm actually looking forward to this now.

now, neil is so old and ragged at this point, i would love to hear him do an acoustic album with long, slow, lower key songs about anything. man, that would be awesome. just knock out a masterpiece for us.

From Billboard.com:

Neil Young's 'Archives' Set For June 2 Arrival

March 21, 2009 08:27 PM ET

Gary Graff, Austin, TX

Rocker Neil Young's oft-delayed "Archives" collection will finally be released on June 2, Young's manager Elliot Roberts announced at South by Southwest in Austin, TX today (March 21).

Neil Young fans got a glimpse at several of the veteran rocker's upcoming projects on Saturday at the conference. The June 2 release date for the long awaited "Archives" collection was revealed during a panel discussion that included Roberts and Larry Johnson, director of Young's Shakey Films, who also played samples of material from the anthology.

The set will be available as a 10-disc Blu-Ray edition listing for $399, a 10-DVD box for $199 and a CD version for $99.

Later in the afternoon director Jonathan Demme unveiled his second Young concert film, "Neil Young's Trunk Show," at the Paramount Theatre. Demme told the crowd that the movie, filmed during two performances at Philadelphia's Tower Theater in December 2007, "is a home movie in a way. We did it all by ourselves."

The version of the in-progress film screened Saturday featured onstage and backstage footage, including performances of "Harvest," "Cinammon Girl," "Southern Man" and "Like a Hurricane," among others. Deme said that while 2006's "Heart of Gold" was "meticulously planned," "Trunk Show" was done more casually. Asked when he would complete his Neil Young "trilogy," Demme responded "I should only be so lucky."

The new stuff doesn't fill me with any love at all. The songs are just only ok, from what I have heard and seen. I think this is something he just has to get out of his system, I hope it is.

As for The Archives, I would really love to buy the Blu Ray or DVD sets but in these credit crunching times I just cannot justify it. Maybe someday when they are in the discount baskets. :lol