Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm not the biggest fan of Harvest either, these 1971 solo versions are usually the definitive versions for me. Especially A Man Needs A Maid. Oh, and There's A World is probably the worst Neil Young song.

I see your point - they are in a different context than we usually hear them.

The same could be said for Down By The River - how many times have you heard that?

Ever hear The Indigo Girls version?

The same could be said for Down By The River - how many times have you heard that?

My favorite versions of DBTR & Cowgirl were just released on the Fillmore 1970 disc. So young and fresh. Both the songs and the Neil.

I wish he would put out Journey Thru The Past (the film) - or better yet - I wish I would find it on a BitTorrent site.

Neil said at one point this would be included in Part I. Who knows now. I do believe we'll see PT. I before the end of the year. I do. I really do. I've been $aving for 15 year$ now so I can afford all this great mu$ic.

P.S. ~ Journey Through The Past and Love In Mind are nice additions to Massey Hall. B)

I did not think about that - since I own the album.

I would like to see that movie someday - I use to look for that and the Black Crowes film (which came out on dvd last year) on Ebay all the time. I almost had a supposedly rental VHS tape of JTTP once.

Yep, I just wish he'd play Out On The Weekend and Harvest more live, because those songs have really been unfairly overshadowed by Old Man and Heart Of Gold, I think.

It's a real treat as an acoustic number. Not that the electric version doesn't totally destroy usually.

Ever hear The Indigo Girls version?

That I have not heard, sir.

I heard the Massey Hall show playing at Starbucks (!) today. I wish this hadn't been my first exposure to it, but I gotta admit, it sounded great. I think Briggs was right.

I picked up Live @ Massey Hall today the cd/dvd combo and if you are a neil young fan and don't want to wait for the box set this is an awesome cd/dvd combo.

the sound quality is excellent. I have this boot and the london boot which was similar show and the sound quality is great compared to those boots. I have not watched the dvd yet although i'm excited to do that assoon as i get off of work.

The cheapest i found it was 15.98 for the combo at Target.

Can't beat acoustic versions of cowgirl in the sand and down by the river. Plus the rendition of man needs a maid and heart of gold played together is very cool. :thumbup

I picked up Live @ Massey Hall today the cd/dvd combo and if you are a neil young fan and don't want to wait for the box set this is an awesome cd/dvd combo.

the sound quality is excellent. I have this boot and the london boot which was similar show and the sound quality is great compared to those boots. I have not watched the dvd yet although i'm excited to do that assoon as i get off of work.

The cheapest i found it was 15.98 for the combo at Target.

Can't beat acoustic versions of cowgirl in the sand and down by the river. Plus the rendition of man needs a maid and heart of gold played together is very cool. :thumbup

i went to HMV today to pick this up and it turns out it isn't being released until next week over here! :ohwell

Picked it up at Best Buy for $14.99

Inside there is an insert that says:

Coming in 2007

Neil Young

The Archives Vol 1

1963-1972

The first incredible volume in the definitive audiobiography.

8-CD, 2-DVD collection features rare, unreleased studio & live recordings, never-before-seen film footage, spectacular photos, personal letters and a 150-page book.

Visit repriserecords.com/neilarchives for more information and an exclusive preview of this historic musical collection.

Also, on the DVD during some songs they just show a tape recorder on a stool, no Neil. I guess the film must have been bad.

Sometimes I wonder if the NY Archives could ever live up to my expectations, but after hearing Massey Hall, I think those box sets might just exceed them. Hard to believe that something this amazing gathered dust for 36 years. :omg! It's easily one of the greatest live albums of all time.