Another harvest of Neil Young

It also lists it at Vol 3... I know Vol 2 was the Filmore show, what was Vol 1?

On the two CD's Fillmore and Massey that are released in the U.S. it says D2 on Fillmore and D3 on Massey in very small printing on the spines and in the box on the front top left corner. Maybe one is in "Archives Part 1" ?

I agree with Judy, "It's easily one of the greatest live albums of all time". B)

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the two CD's Fillmore and Massey that are released in the U.S. it says D2 on Fillmore and D3 on Massey in very small printing on the spines and in the box on the front top left corner. Maybe one is in "Archives Part 1" ?

I agree with Judy, "It's easily one of the greatest live albums of all time". B)

Vol 1 is mysteriously not available yet. As mentioned many think it will be part of the Archives Set. Seems like Neil wants to run it in Chronological order. It is rumored that vol 1 will be the Riverboat shows from 1969 He did i think like 7 shows in a row in toronto all solo acoustic. If this is true it makes me VERY VERY happy!

Vol 1 is mysteriously not available yet. As mentioned many think it will be part of the Archives Set. Seems like Neil wants to run it in Chronological order. It is rumored that vol 1 will be the Riverboat shows from 1969 He did i think like 7 shows in a row in toronto all solo acoustic. If this is true it makes me VERY VERY happy!

Thanks for that!

I was worried I was going mad, I hadn't seen a Vol. 1! I was wondering if I was going to be sent the Massey Hall one on promo like the Fillmore sow, but doesn't look like so I'll have to stretch to the combo next week when it comes out over here.

I love to hear the audience react to songs they've never heard before. One of my favourite NY boots is the "Citizen Kane Jr. Blues" (Bottom Line, NYC) show from 1974 where he plays "new" songs from OTB and TTN. Neil is really chatty (I think the recipe for "honey slides" is on that one) and it's fun to hear people laugh at some of the lines in "Long May You Run" and "Ambulance Blues" etc.

I love to hear the audience react to songs they've never heard before. One of my favourite NY boots is the "Citizen Kane Jr. Blues" (Bottom Line, NYC) show from 1974 where he plays "new" songs from OTB and TTN. Neil is really chatty (I think the recipe for "honey slides" is on that one) and it's fun to hear people laugh at some of the lines in "Long May You Run" and "Ambulance Blues" etc.

That was one of my first NY boots. Never tried out the honey slide recipe, though.

Finally got a chance to watch the Massey Hall DVD today. Even though I've played those songs to death over the years, something about that audience (hearing the "new" songs for the first time) helped me listen with fresh ears. I was surprised that "A Man Needs A Maid" and "There's A World" (which I usually skip on Harvest) were actually some of my favourites.

So am I correct in thinking that if I buy this now, I'll get it again (and pay for it again) when I buy the Archives box?

No concrete evidence either way as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if you do get them as part of the box, just as I won't be surprised if there's just a provision in the box to slot them in, chronological-style.

Neil Young has been a consistent presence on The Billboard 200 since the late 1960s, but only once has he ever debuted higher than the No. 6 position enjoyed this week by the Reprise set "Live at Massey Hall," taped in Toronto in 1971. Young previously reached No. 5 with the 1995 album "Mirror Ball," a collaboration with Pearl Jam.

"The tricky part with marketing an artist like this is, how much do you focus on the initial launch and then also save something for afterward?," says Reprise VP of marketing Peter Standish. "We also worked hard to decipher where his audience aggregates and how to reach them in a cost-effective manner."

Standish declined to go into detail about the different strategies the label employed to raise awareness of "Massey Hall," but concedes, "We've been on and off with print in terms of how heavy to advertise, but we decided to be aggressive with it this time and I'm glad we did. The marketplace is changing so rapidly -- a plan that worked six months ago is irrelevant today."

Indeed, there was a concerted effort to promote "Massey Hall" in advance of the September or October release of "Archives Vol. 1," a mammoth boxed set that has been in the works for 10 years and is something of a Holy Grail for Young fans. The project, which covers Young's career from 1963-1972, will feature eight audio CDs, two DVDs and a 200-page book of photos and memorabilia.

"Massey Hall" and last fall's "Live at the Fillmore East" will be included in the box as bonus discs. The remainder of the chronological collection features material cut with Young's early Canadian band the Squires, recordings from the period during which he lived in Topanga Canyon, Calif., scores of previously unreleased studio tracks and a live disc drawn from a week's worth of concerts from the Toronto venue the Riverboat.

"This really is an audio biography, not a boxed set," enthuses Standish, who says three additional "Archives" boxes will follow. "The photos in the book are unbelievable. Those in and of themselves are incredible pieces of art."

The notoriously press-shy Young is expected to do some interviews in support of "Archives" but for now is not planning a tour around the release. "A lot of people don't realize how extensive and intense the Freedom of Speech tour he did with Crosby, Stills & Nash was," says Standish. "I think Neil is taking a little bit of a break at the moment. But you never know what's around the corner. If the muse moves him, anything can happen."

thanks for this update. so the fillmore and massy hall discs will be part of the boxset. glad i didn't buy them yet. i am counting on november for this release, but october would be nice. september better. the riverboat show will be so awesome! this is the only thing i have really looked forward to in the last 15 years. i am really waiting for box set II 72-82. that will be otherworldly!

c

Interesting - I am not all that much interested in NY after Live Rust.

It may not be on a par w/ "Rust", but Ragged Glory has some really long, soaring NY guitar solos.