Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might give me a better chance of increasing the Archive Fund...

my thoughts exactly. that and the RA box set that is due for release at the end of this year is also going to put a healthy dent in my (lack of) funds.

this is not surprising-yet still infuriating. the only thing i have really been waiting for the last several years/decades is neil's archives. and here we go again with another set back. this was ready to roll in the late 80s. that turned into lucky 13. talk through out the entire 90s, and it was ready to go in 99. during the run up to csny looking forward, neil was doing interviews with the actual boxset in his hand talking about it. alas, what did we get-are you passionate? terrible album, yet listenable. so now we gots to wait till 08. don't count on winter. big releases only come in the spring and fall. archive I will not be out until next spring. maybe even june, like all the new ones coming out this year.

craig :realmad

this is not surprising-yet still infuriating. the only thing i have really been waiting for the last several years/decades is neil's archives. and here we go again with another set back. this was ready to roll in the late 80s. that turned into lucky 13. talk through out the entire 90s, and it was ready to go in 99. during the run up to csny looking forward, neil was doing interviews with the actual boxset in his hand talking about it. alas, what did we get-are you passionate? terrible album, yet listenable. so now we gots to wait till 08. don't count on winter. big releases only come in the spring and fall. archive I will not be out until next spring. maybe even june, like all the new ones coming out this year.

craig :realmad

damn it i echo the frustration in this post.

• 7 months later...
oung Eschewing CDs For 'Archives' Project

Neil Young

January 28, 2008, 12:20 PM ET

Gregg Goldstein, The Hollywood Reporter

Another year, another new twist in the saga of Neil Young's long-in-the-works "Archives" series.

The multi-disc first volume of the project, which has shifted release dates countless times in the past two years, was most recently scheduled to arrive Feb. 19. But Young told Billboard last week that a new technological twist is responsible for the latest delay.

"I know it's in technical production now, but it's only coming out on Blu-ray and DVD," he said during an interview at the Sundance Film Festival, where he and his Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young bandmates unveiled their "Deja Vu" documentary. "There won't be CDs. Technology has caught up to what the concept was in the first place [and] how we're able to actually present it. But there's no doubt it will come out this year."

That's right: no CDs, a format Young has long despised due to its audio limitations. Instead, Young is utilizing DVD capabilities to present an interactive "time line" for the music, allowing users to experience articles and film clips from a song's given era as well as ephemera like lyric sheets.

"Archives" appeared closer than ever to release in October, when Young's new studio album, "Chrome Dreams," was bundled at select retail outlets with a bonus CD with a song from "Live at the Riverboat." That collection, which will appear in "Archives," chronicles a week's worth of concerts taped in Toronto shortly after Buffalo Springfield split.

The package is also expected to include the previously released concert sets "Live at the Fillmore East" and "Live at Massey Hall." The remainder will feature material cut with Young's early Canadian band the Squires, recordings from the period during which he lived in Topanga Canyon, Calif., and scores of previously unreleased studio tracks.

my wife just said to me as i read this, "why are you surprised!"

we've been hearing about this since 89!!

so we wont be able to have the tunes on our ipods. we have to sit in front of the TV to watch/listen.

that sounds fun for a bit, but i really just wanted the cds. damn!! not to mention the fact that mosts folks are

clamoring for vol. II with homegrown etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ah :realmad

so we wont be able to have the tunes on our ipods. we have to sit in front of the TV to watch/listen.

I'm sure there will be "unofficial" CD rips of it floating around ... don't worry.

In the meantime, you can hook most DVD players up to stereos, y'know? The one I have plays eleventy-four different formats and I use it as a CD player more than anything.

I wonder if this deal may be like the Bruce album Devils & Dust or the Son Volt album Okemah and the Melody of Riot that would only play on my computer dvd player - as I recall, they both would click or jump when I played them.

I'm sure there will be "unofficial" CD rips of it floating around ... don't worry.

In the meantime, you can hook most DVD players up to stereos, y'know? The one I have plays eleventy-four different formats and I use it as a CD player more than anything.

good point. also, the more i think about this, it all seems like a marketing ploy. the next thing we will hear is that only a limited number of copies will come out, only to have the CDs released later. not to mention when they are available on itunes with an 'alternate' version of Mr. Soul available only with purchase of the entire album. with the CD business in the throws of change, this archive release is looked at as huge future earnings and i am sure BlueRay, DVD player manufactuers, itunes etc. all have their hands in this. hell, they're all one company!

so, we'll see.

craig

not to mention when they are available on itunes with an 'alternate' version of Mr. Soul available only with purchase of the entire album.

:lol Aren't there about ninety-seven "alternate" versions of Mr. Soul?

To paraphrase Dan Savage, RTMFA! :frusty

I think Neil Young needs some therapy to help him through the existential crisis that is preventing him from releasing the Archives. Is this painfully obvious to everyone but him?

It's one thing to go against the grain; it's another thing to make it extremely hard for fans of yours to hear your releases.

i agree, like not releasing them!

anyway, i've thought about this and there will be ways to convert to cd. ironically, it will be lower quality using sound rippers etc. everything neil doesn't want it to be. it will also be a hassle! wont be able to pick up the set, get in the car, and listen...or rip to ipod quickly for that matter. oh well, i have a feeling news about this will change.

craig

my wife and i were at the atlanta show. it was a bit crazy, but i assumed it was that way at all the shows. it's ironic, CSNY played the song Families with some nice video. we were all on board, not a dry eye in the house. but when you go talking about the president sending those kids to war (those kids we miss and that die and that we cried over in the last song) then people go ape shit! truly amazing to me.

and about his last tour, i wonder why he didn't play anything off prairie wind? at least The Painter would have been fun.

craig