Another harvest of Neil Young

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking about that his morning...the fact that no new info has come out and we're a month away from the release. no surprise. and seriously, i don't give a shit any more. from what i have seen of the track list, nothing spectacular. as far as the performance series goes, yawn. filmore is a mess and massy hall is nice, but i just can't get the vibe. as i have said in other posts, neil was a contender as my favorite artist of all time. unfortunately, i am removing more and more of him from my ipod. prairie wind in particular is terrible (except for the painter). and chrome dreams should not have been released. beautiful bluebird is nice, but the rest are complete toss offs. i am so mad this guy makes so much money for putting out so much shit, not putting out the shit people want to hear, and his ridiculous concert ticket prices.

for me, dylan and springsteen have so much more to offer these days.

prairie wind in particular is terrible (except for the painter). and chrome dreams should not have been released. beautiful bluebird is nice, but the rest are complete toss offs.

Ummmmm. Prairie Wind is terrible? I mean, it's not up there with his greatest work, but terrible? I think CD II is an uneven album. However, I do love "No Hidden Path," "Dirty Old Man," "Ordinary People," and "Spirit Road."

Ummmmm. Prairie Wind is terrible? I mean, it's not up there with his greatest work, but terrible? I think CD II is an uneven album. However, I do love "No Hidden Path," "Dirty Old Man," "Ordinary People," and "Spirit Road."

prairie wind is terrible. no wonder is terrible. the gospel choir is terrible. the strings and horns are laughable as are the lyrics.

dirty old man, nhp, and spirit road are complete toss offs! ordinary people should have been released in the 80s. doesn't fit. i could go on...

prairie wind is terrible. no wonder is terrible. the gospel choir is terrible. the strings and horns are laughable as are the lyrics.

dirty old man, nhp, and spirit road are complete toss offs! ordinary people should have been released in the 80s. doesn't fit. i could go on...

You already have a thread to put down Neil Young albums - right?

Sugar Mountain Live at Canterbury House 1968 should be out on November 25th.

It is not the archives but it should be a nice CD/DVD combo

Disc: 1 (CD)

1. On The Way Home

2. Mr. Soul

3. Expecting To Fly

4. The Last Trip To Tulsa

5. The Loner

6. Birds

7. Winterlong (excerpt)

8. Out Of My Mind

9. If I Could Have Her Tonight

10. Sugar Mountain

11. I've Been Waiting For You

12. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing

13. The Old Laughing Lady

14. Broken Arrow

Disc: 2 (DVD)

1. On The Way Home (Live)

2. Mr. Soul (Live)

3. Expecting To Fly (Live)

4. The Last Trip To Tulsa (Live)

5. The Loner (Live)

6. Birds (Live)

7. Winterlong (excerpt) (Live)

8. Out Of My Mind (Live)

9. If I Could Have Her Tonight (Live)

10. Sugar Mountain (Live)

11. I've Been Waiting For You (Live)

12. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing (Live)

13. The Old Laughing Lady (Live)

14. Broken Arrow (Live)

Sugar Mountain Live at Canterbury House 1968 should be out on November 25th.

It is not the archives but it should be a nice CD/DVD combo

Disc: 1 (CD)

1. On The Way Home

2. Mr. Soul

3. Expecting To Fly

4. The Last Trip To Tulsa

5. The Loner

6. Birds

7. Winterlong (excerpt)

8. Out Of My Mind

9. If I Could Have Her Tonight

10. Sugar Mountain

11. I've Been Waiting For You

12. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing

13. The Old Laughing Lady

14. Broken Arrow

Disc: 2 (DVD)

1. On The Way Home (Live)

2. Mr. Soul (Live)

3. Expecting To Fly (Live)

4. The Last Trip To Tulsa (Live)

5. The Loner (Live)

6. Birds (Live)

7. Winterlong (excerpt) (Live)

8. Out Of My Mind (Live)

9. If I Could Have Her Tonight (Live)

10. Sugar Mountain (Live)

11. I've Been Waiting For You (Live)

12. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing (Live)

13. The Old Laughing Lady (Live)

14. Broken Arrow (Live)

To be completely honest, I have more live Neil Young (official and unofficial) than I already know what to do with. This track listing isn't getting my heart rate any higher either.

To be completely honest, I have more live Neil Young (official and unofficial) than I already know what to do with. This track listing isn't getting my heart rate any higher either.

well, the sugar mountain on here is the one from decade, right? if so, i love that version and hope the rest of the show is that laid back with a little more immediacy than massy hall. however, i was hopeing for flying on the ground is wrong.

Pretty much the same news - from billboard.com:

Neil News: Live Set Due, 'Archives' Delayed

October 13, 2008 , 12:20 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

There's good news and bad news for long-suffering Neil Young fans. The good: highlights from a sought-after Nov. 9-10, 1968, run from the Canterbury House in Ann Arbor, Mich., will be released as "Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968" Nov. 25 via Reprise.

The bad: Young's endlessly delayed "Archives Vol. 1 (1963-1972)" is officially pushed back to some point in 2009. Young has waffled about whether the project will only be available on Blu-ray and DVD or whether there will be CDs sold; the latest word from Reprise is that "Archives" will be DVD only.

"Sugar Mountain," which will not be included in "Archives Vol. 1," was taped a few days shy of Young's 23rd birthday. Young had split from Buffalo Springfield six months earlier, and was testing out his solo material in front of audiences more accustomed to seeing him perform with a band.

The album features future young staples such as "Mr. Soul," "Expecting To Fly," the title track and "Broken Arrow," along with several snippets of between-song banter where Young discusses the menial jobs he held in Toronto.

LouieB, Analogman - help me out here, why are the last two releases uninteresting?

i'd believe you if you said you didn't buy Fillmore because it wasn't a complete show and easily could have been. that's a valid excuse as the bootlegs are better. but, Massey Hall is fantastic. it had been widely bootlegged before, but if you already own the bootleg and love it, honestly, shouldn't you buy the official release? or is it he crappy disc-scratching packaging? just help me to understand please.

-justin

LouieB, Analogman - help me out here, why are the last two releases uninteresting?

i'd believe you if you said you didn't buy Fillmore because it wasn't a complete show and easily could have been. that's a valid excuse as the bootlegs are better. but, Massey Hall is fantastic. it had been widely bootlegged before, but if you already own the bootleg and love it, honestly, shouldn't you buy the official release? or is it he crappy disc-scratching packaging? just help me to understand please.

-justin

Oh, I didn't say it was bad - I was just never bought them. I have heard both of them. Since I have thousands of cds, (and I am running out of space here in the ghetto) I sort of have this rule, will I play something more than once? Who knows, I may grab them someday.

Actually, I was just listening to that Fillmore show on the Wolfgang's Vault site earlier today. The acoustic show sounds more interesting to me - maybe it's because of the set list.

and who knows, there are still conflicting reports as to whether the Performance series will be included in Archives, V. 1. some reports say yes, but the article you just posted said this third one will not be. other reports said that they would not be included, but the box would have places for the discs to slip in, etc.

-justin