someone updated jeff's wikipedia page

The person basically has crapty analysis of the facts he uses. His facts are fine (he basically steals from Greg Kot's book, which I do like, because he footnotes Kot's book lots of times). In addition, he goes to an extreme of saying how bad things are. For example, the break up of Bennet and Tweedy.

How much of the Greg Kot book is accurate? As in, under what circumstances did it come about that the fella would write about Wilco? I did enjoy reading it but I also felt a little silly during some of it (the whole "I've only got a problem with one person in this room..." Jay points to Jeff.) It kind of took me back to my girlhood and reading things like "Jonathon Brandis: The Unauthorized Autobiography" :blush . I'm not dogging the book. Like I said, I did enjoy it. It gave me a good perspective on the chronology of the band and the development of Jeff's songwriting etc. I guess what I'm looking for is what are everyone else's thoughts on the book?

Edited: To add that upon searching, I see there is an entire thread devoted to this topic (hmmm...imagine that) and I will now commence reading it. Any thoughts are still welcome anyhoo...

How much of the Greg Kot book is accurate? As in, under what circumstances did it come about that the fella would write about Wilco? I did enjoy reading it but I also felt a little silly during some of it (the whole "I've only got a problem with one person in this room..." Jay points to Jeff.) It kind of took me back to my girlhood and reading things like "Jonathon Brandis: The Unauthorized Autobiography" :blush . I'm not dogging the book. Like I said, I did enjoy it. It gave me a good perspective on the chronology of the band and the development of Jeff's songwriting etc. I guess what I'm looking for is what are everyone else's thoughts on the book?

Edited: To add that upon searching, I see there is an entire thread devoted to this topic (hmmm...imagine that) and I will now commence reading it. Any thoughts are still welcome anyhoo...

I hope I'm not going too far off topic, but I'm interested in this as well. As a newish fan I haven't read the book, but I'm curious and would like to decide if it's something I'll want to check out in the future. I too will have to search for the thread specifically about the book.

When I was 16 I read a book called 5 Against 1: The Pearl Jam Story, and I've felt somewhat guilty ever since. It made me question how much of an artist's/band's personal history I have any business delving into. I really didn't need to know about Eddie Vedder's high school girlfriend or early family life, and the section on the firing of their 3rd drummer was a bit much as well. And that's all without addressing the question of reliable/biased sources, and that's probably even more significant.

Now, I haven't attended a Wilco or solo Jeff show yet, but from the recordings I've heard and from the Sunken Treasure DVD it seems like Jeff shares more personal anecdotes with his audience in one evening than Eddie Vedder has in the last ten years, not to mention that these two guys and their bandmates have presumably had hugely different experiences as public (or not-so public) figures. I adore Eddie Vedder but realize he's become an extreme case of a musician who has claimed the music is ALL that matters (though he hasn't always held to the standard). I grew up through my teen years with this guy as my rock and roll hero, so it's hard to diverge from this mindset. Now I'm trying to find a balance so that I don't feel GUILTY reading about a band I love. I realize if you want to learn about a band's history and musical evolution you can't completely avoid the voyeuristic stuff, and when it comes to Wilco I can't help but be fascinated by the line-up/musical changes and Jeff's progression as a writer.

Sorry! I'm done rambling! This looks more like a document on the screwed up psychology of a Pearl Jam fan than a simple question about a book. I'll look for that other thread now.

:blush

I own or have read probably a hundred rock star books by now - let me tell you that they are all the same: first chapters on humble/difficult upbringing, rise/downfall of popularity, drugs, sex, financial gain/ruin, and/or satan worshipping - etc. Indeed - some times one reads things they wish they did not know.

I read a book called 5 Against 1: The Pearl Jam Story, and I've felt somewhat guilty ever since. It made me question how much of an artist's/band's personal history I have any business delving into.

That's all I need to hear to advise you against reading the Kot book.

I own or have read probably a hundred rock star books by now - let me tell you that they are all the same: first chapters on humble/difficult upbringing, rise/downfall of popularity, drugs, sex, financial gain/ruin, and/or satan worshipping - etc. Indeed - some times one reads things they wish they did not know.

You forgot kicking azz!

cole.jpg

• 12 years later...