How is that popular?

there comes a time in every person's life that he or she will put on a radio station like KISS FM or Q101 and hear a song and wonder, "How the hell did this song make it on the radio?"

perfect example is i am driving with my sister, and she has on KISS FM. this song by "the plain white t's" comes on, and the chorus goes "hate is a strong word, but i really really really dont like you." me and my sister look at each other and just started laughing on how such a song could make it on popular radio. if you havent heard the song, here is a link to youtube for the music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3qPqpH2uqw

i think that the viachicago community has a lot of the smartest/knowledgable members when it comes to music. so i pose the question to you all: which songs have you heard on "popular radio" recently and you wondered, how is this popular?

The Feeling's new single... I just don't understand it: "I love it when you call, but you never call at all", therefore, how does he know that he loves it when she calls?!?!?! Eh?!?!?!

I am not sure they have taken a logic course before

I heard a song by Fergie recently.

Ditto. I have to make great efforts to not throw up when I'm exposed to the black eyed peas or fergie.. It's just repulsive how hard this woman is pushed as some kind of talented artist when she's just some ex-girl group broad in a micro-mini skirt. I loathe, loathe, loather that music...especially when I see very young girls emulating her "my humps..my humps" crap.

:realmad :yucky :barf

Ditto. I have to make great efforts to not throw up when I'm exposed to the black eyed peas or fergie.. It's just repulsive how hard this woman is pushed as some kind of talented artist when she's just some ex-girl group broad in a micro-mini skirt. I loathe, loathe, loather that music...especially when I see very young girls emulating her "my humps..my humps" crap.

:realmad :yucky :barf

I did not know that.

Man she looked disgusting even then...

Wild_orchid.jpg

did you wet yourself with excitement?

i can't get that picture out of my head whenever she is mentioned. for me, she will always be known as that chick who wet herself onstage. definately cancels out any hotness factor she ever may have had.

i can't get that picture out of my head whenever she is mentioned. for me, she will always be known as that chick who wet herself onstage. definately cancels out any hotness factor she ever may have had.

What's the deal there? I missed that bit of rock trivia. Sounds good though!

"How the hell did this song make it on the radio?"

perfect example is i am driving with my sister, and she has on KISS FM. this song by "the plain white t's"

One of my high school students loaned me her copy of the Plain White T's, on the grounds that they are the "bestest band" right now. I had to shut it off after about 4 songs... it was painful. I think it may have been the worst thing I heard all of last year.

Fortunately, one of my other students recently turned in a creative project that involved painting a visual representation of a song. Her song choice? "No Depression" by Uncle Tupelo.

See, there's hope.

which songs have you heard on "popular radio" recently and you wondered, how is this popular?

Well I haven't listened to pop radio lately but I've been told the new Fall Out Boy single was getting some radio airplay. When I saw PFork actually gave it a decent rating I thought "wow, maybe they actually made something worth hearing..." but nope. What a joke. And the video is worse. The footage of the lead singer making his constipation faces is comical though. Reminds me of how John Mayer looks when he sings except for the fact that Mayer is talented with a guitar.

His saving grace. Unlike a certain James Blunt, whose Austin City Limits I recently watched....for some reason.

Yeah, but at least Mayer's voice is pretty "soothing". James Blunt's voice makes me want to chop of my ears with a blunt knife.

I don't listen to the radio. Unless one of these shows is on:

Car Talk

Live At the Met

Whaddya Know? With Michael Feldman

A Prarie Home Companion

Weekend America

Studio 360

This American Life

AKA... I listen to NPR.

Me too. :thumbup

Is there a top 40 anymore? Everything's so splintered now, and there are far more avenues for a smaller band to protome their music than there were in the past, that the concept of "pop hits" is pretty much gone.

SAVE YOURSELVES!!! DO NOT LISTEN TO THE RADIO!!!

Could be part of an Orwellian scale conspiracy, along with the dissemination of Christian-right fear and paranoia, to further dummy up the masses with uninspired, insulting music so we all walk around in a sheep-like stupor, defenseless to their attempts at control and domination.

Maybe.