STATE of the UNION

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bush is center stage on the TV, and I gotta take a sec to vent on the internet. He suddenly wants to fix health care, and schools, and balance the budget (that Clinton meticulously perfected in order for Bush to destroy it) all while cutting taxes. Huh.....his plan is if your poor, you get a write off for health care so you dont have to pay as much tax. So he is going to magically fix health care by having more people pay less taxes, while the rest continue to pay what has alway been not enough. Genius. Meanwhile we got a trillion dollar war that never ends.

I haven't watched a State of The Union speech in years (including this one), but I can give you the first 17 minutes:

Good

(APPLAUSE)

Evening

(APPLAUSE)

My

(APPLAUSE)

Fellow

(APPLAUSE)

Americans

(APPLAUSE)

Not much

I found Jim Webb's comments on class divisions, and Jackson's (not my favorite historic politician) view that you judge economic conditions from Main St. instead of Wall St. to be how you say: fresh and on time. Anti War rhetoric is indeed about as predictable as it is necessary, but you can not deny the thrill of seeing a major politician call the war four years of a disasterous mistake AND THEN have the FOX NEWS REPUBLICAN ANALYST not even bother to refute him. Bush is in a lonely lonely place, because he has steered our country into the toilet and his own people are turning on him.

The best part for me was right at the beginning when W.said it was his honor & privilege to say "Madame Speaker". Whether he meant it or not.

I would have given anything to hear what was said between Pelosi & Satan, err umm I mean Cheney. :D

This whole evening seemed like a big bunch of hooey and election strategy, and I don't feel that a damn thing has changed.

But I'm sick and cranky, so I'm more focussed on kleenex and mentholatum.

I haven't watched a State of The Union speech in years (including this one), but I can give you the first 17 minutes:

Good

(APPLAUSE)

Evening

(APPLAUSE)

My

(APPLAUSE)

Fellow

(APPLAUSE)

Americans

(APPLAUSE)

You forgot the next bit:

The State of Our Union is ....

(wait for it)

STRONG.

(RESOUNDING APPLAUSE)

I found Jim Webb's comments on class divisions, and Jackson's (not my favorite historic politician) view that you judge economic conditions from Main St. instead of Wall St. to be how you say: fresh and on time. Anti War rhetoric is indeed about as predictable as it is necessary, but you can not deny the thrill of seeing a major politician call the war four years of a disasterous mistake AND THEN have the FOX NEWS REPUBLICAN ANALYST not even bother to refute him. Bush is in a lonely lonely place, because he has steered our country into the toilet and his own people are turning on him.

Agreed! Webb's speech was dead on. What better authority to speak about the war than someone who has had generations of family members serve this country.

I forgot to mention that Nancy Pelosi blinks 60 times/minute, whereas Dick Cheney never blinks his eyes at all.

Dick loves to smirk though.

...but you can not deny the thrill of seeing a major politician call the war four years of a disasterous mistake AND THEN have the FOX NEWS REPUBLICAN ANALYST not even bother to refute him. Bush is in a lonely lonely place, because he has steered our country into the toilet and his own people are turning on him.

indeed

I am going to add my two bits regarding the health savings accounts. These accounts are part of a bigger strategy that has been discussed in the tax world for a number of years now. Republicans would like people to take charge of their own destiny and handle their own health care needs. Several years ago the Medical Savings accounts were introduced. They were sold as a way to save for medical costs and earn money at the same time. Essentially they are supposed to be a way to replace the pre-tax amounts people were having withheld. The second issue is what was mentioned last night, the health credits. This would allow people to take a tax credit (how this is revenue neutral I have no clue). The people who primarily benefit are those who pay their own health insurance. The next component of the transfer of health coverage to the individual has been proposed and has been written about extensively in tax publications. They want to end the corporate tax deduction for employer paid health insurance. The logic behind this is that they say that those companies and individuals who don't have a health insurance deduction are subsidizing companies who do have a deduction. Ultimately losing this deduction might cause many companies to drop the coverage. In the past they might get a million dollar deduction which gets them a $350K tax savings or a net cost of $650K for that insurance. Under what has been talked about they lose that tax savings benefit. Ultimately what they say they want is for individuals to be self sufficient with their own health care, what they will get will more likely be a health care crisis.

The best part for me was right at the beginning when W.said it was his honor & privilege to say "Madame Speaker". Whether he meant it or not.

I would have given anything to hear what was said between Pelosi & Satan, err umm I mean Cheney. :D

Did anybody notice that Pelosi and Cheney were chewing on mints at the same time? Wonder if Dick offered her a wintergreen life saver or in Nancy offered him a cinnamon Altoid.

I missed all of it. Can someone please provide the cliff notes version.
Same old shit!!!

More war, more programs that won't be instituted, alot of sheepish looks, some standing and clapping, some sitting and stewing.

LouieB

I may be nitpicking, but I thought that whoever wrote that speech could have taken the time to find out what country Dikembe Mutumbo comes from. Seemed to ignore all of the political differences on the continent by saying that he came from "Africa" -- as if anywhere in Africa is the same as anywhere else.