The Photography Thread

Sorry, I know this looks as though I'm using this thread as my own, personal pimpfest (and I haven't even gotten the new poster smell off me), but for anyone interested, here's my homemade "messy border" template in action:

375580697_3898fbc1ff.jpg

The film's been cross-processed, too, hence the whacked-out colors.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I know this looks as though I'm using this thread as my own, personal pimpfest (and I haven't even gotten the new poster smell off me), but for anyone interested, here's my homemade "messy border" template in action:

375580697_3898fbc1ff.jpg

The film's been cross-processed, too, hence the whacked-out colors.

That looks really good. Have you tried out the templates from the link I sent you?

• 1 year later...

So I am not in any way shape or form a photographer. I have a Canon PowerShot SD 700 IS ... a point and shoot. I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on getting better pictures in dark venues. Most the time, I just try to hold the camera still for long exposures but they just come out looking like impressionist paintings. Ha! Is there anything I can do short of getting a better camera, learning about photography and/or hauling around a tripod?

Sorry if I took up a lot of space. I guess I should start one of those flickr accts as I have a ton more.

I'm particularly fond of the flag.

Snowy_Day.jpg

Tub_Time.jpg

Flag.jpg

Flowers.jpg

Beach.jpg

Eye.jpg

So I am not in any way shape or form a photographer. I have a Canon PowerShot SD 700 IS ... a point and shoot. I was wondering if anyone could give me pointers on getting better pictures in dark venues. Most the time, I just try to hold the camera still for long exposures but they just come out looking like impressionist paintings. Ha! Is there anything I can do short of getting a better camera, learning about photography and/or hauling around a tripod?

It just takes a lot of toying with--and sometimes a lot of luck as well. The lighting at a show can really make or break your photos. All the Wilco photos on the first page of my flickr were taken with a Canon PowerShot SD870 IS (not much different from yours if the numbers indicate anything..I'm not really sure). I played around with the Manual settings to start...upped the ISO, angled the camera so it focused on a spotlight, or at least included a light in the background of the photo somewhere, which then gave it a higher shutter speed and thus sharper results. Another trick is to focus first on a brighter area on the stage, hold down the shutter half way so it focuses and holds that light information, and then return the camera to your subject and push the shutter the rest of the way. Sometimes this can backfire and get you really dark photos, but sometimes it works out. I also tried using the "Indoor" setting and the "Night Snapshot" setting...took the flash off on both and again played around until I came out with some somewhat decent pictures.

In the end it's about knowing how your camera works and what little tricks you can pull with it...every camera is different in how it captures/reacts to light. Just use it a lot and see what you can come up with. Good luck!

It just takes a lot of toying with--and sometimes a lot of luck as well. The lighting at a show can really make or break your photos. All the Wilco photos on the first page of my flickr were taken with a Canon PowerShot SD870 IS (not much different from yours if the numbers indicate anything..I'm not really sure). I played around with the Manual settings to start...upped the ISO, angled the camera so it focused on a spotlight, or at least included a light in the background of the photo somewhere, which then gave it a higher shutter speed and thus sharper results. Another trick is to focus first on a brighter area on the stage, hold down the shutter half way so it focuses and holds that light information, and then return the camera to your subject and push the shutter the rest of the way. Sometimes this can backfire and get you really dark photos, but sometimes it works out. I also tried using the "Indoor" setting and the "Night Snapshot" setting...took the flash off on both and again played around until I came out with some somewhat decent pictures.

In the end it's about knowing how your camera works and what little tricks you can pull with it...every camera is different in how it captures/reacts to light. Just use it a lot and see what you can come up with. Good luck!

Cool, thanks. I felt completely lost when I was toying around the last time I brought my camera to a concert. For example, I didn't know if I should up the ISO or decrease it... or just leave it on automatic. The spotlight tricks are interesting. I'll try that. I did try the "night snapshot" preset but that didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. Anyway, thanks for the response. I'm seeing two night of Ween next week, so I'll have a chance to try some of this out.

I attended a week-long SMU Photography class during the summer of '79. Our last project was to walk around campus and snap anything. I selected some kick ass Ilford B&W and proceeded to take some of the most boring shots of statues, buildings and other typical campus themed pics.

I was just standing there thinking of how much my roll was gonna suck, when this Punk band (The Huns, I believe) came out of nowhere and suddenly were face to face with a cheerleading group walking across a field. SNAP!!! My only regret was that when I printed the photo, I didn't expose the signs enough to read them. :realmad

Evidently the spontaneous blending of Punks and Cheerleaders was enough to forgive the rookie mistake and it made the campus paper feature the next week.

Not really a great picture as much as it was a creepy/fun moment. I was lucky enough to be in position to just turn and shoot. After that, I started listening to The Ramones.

SMU_Punks___Cheerleaders.jpg

• 2 months later...
I attended a week-long SMU Photography class during the summer of '79. Our last project was to walk around campus and snap anything. I selected some kick ass Ilford B&W and proceeded to take some of the most boring shots of statues, buildings and other typical campus themed pics.

I was just standing there thinking of how much my roll was gonna suck, when this Punk band (The Huns, I believe) came out of nowhere and suddenly were face to face with a cheerleading group walking across a field. SNAP!!! My only regret was that when I printed the photo, I didn't expose the signs enough to read them. :realmad

Evidently the spontaneous blending of Punks and Cheerleaders was enough to forgive the rookie mistake and it made the campus paper feature the next week.

Not really a great picture as much as it was a creepy/fun moment. I was lucky enough to be in position to just turn and shoot. After that, I started listening to The Ramones.

I hope The Huns used that on an album cover. That is classic!!!

Or maybe this:

PA072620.JPG

Colin Meloy surrounded by girls. That was a crazy moment...in the middle of the song he stepped off stage between me and my husband just to pose for my camera. I don't know if it's clear, but my back is to the stage and he's in the middle of the audience. I just wish I had something better than my on-board flash. I wasn't expecting to have to use it!

Here is the link to a few sets of concert photos I've shot over the years with some of the cats and my house thrown in for good measure: http://homepage.mac.com/visiblerhythm

It really sucks that it's getting harder and harder to bring cameras to venues. I enjoy shooting concerts.

• 2 months later...

Link

LIFE photo archive hosted by Google

Search millions of historic photos

Search millions of photographs from the LIFE photo archive, stretching from the 1750s to today. Most were never published and are now available for the first time through the joint work of LIFE and Google.

Woodstock

I have always loved the look of 60s colour photographs.