Sign in to follow this  
velocity253

help a sista out

sorry if this is dumb. i'm not so smart with computers. and therefore super proud that i was even able to figure out how to download torrents. but i've kept doing it and now the hard drive's reaching capacity.

here's my question ...

when i download the flac files, i have to switch them to aiff files to get them to play in itunes. i don't even know if this is right but i do it. so do i need to save the old flac files or should i just get rid of them.

should i just burn the files to disc and not keep them on my computer?

please help, all you smarty-smarts, you're the only ones who can.

again, sorry if i'm dumb.

thanks.

Those links from Analogman are very helpful and are combed by millions of torrent users for accuracy. But, you've caught me at a good, I'm very bored and so I'll try to answer these questions for ya quickly! I just started doing this stuff a few months ago and so if I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me soon...

when i download the flac files, i have to switch them to aiff files to get them to play in itunes. i don't even know if this is right but i do it. so do i need to save the old flac files or should i just get rid of them.

The answer to this is twofold: If you do not wish to upload the torrent to other users, then you do not need to keep the flac files on your computer. The aiff files work independent of the flac files...however, my suggestion is this:

1) burn an audio CD using the AIFF files, this is a lossless audio CD (extremely high quality) and you can listen to it in your car, stereo or recreate the FLAC files later if you need to share them.

2) convert the music in your itunes from AIFF to Mp3 or M4A audio. These kinds of files use A LOT LESS space on your harddrive/ipod compared to AIFF or WAV files. Make sure the bitrate is at least 192 kbps, which is good quality...320 kbps if you're picky about that kind of thing. For comedy albums, or radio talk shows or audio books then you can go much lower, ie. 128 kbps would be more than generous. You can do this a few different ways; either highlight the songs you wish to convert that are already in your library and then select "convert to mp3/acc" in the menu. Or, take the audio CD you created using the AIFF files and import it into your itunes.

3) Then you can delete the AIFF files from your harddrive and the flac files and free up a lot of space on your computer, yet still have a copy of the lossless audio for later (on that precious CD of yours).

HOWEVER, if you want to continue to upload the torrent to other users and be a good friend to us all, you must keep the flac files in the same place where your torrent tracker knows to find them.

should i just burn the files to disc and not keep them on my computer?

for archiving purposes (when I'm done uploading the torrent and no longer need the flac files) I always burn my flac files to blank DVDs (or CDRs) in case I lose my music from my harddrive or my audio CDs get scratched - i've come the conclusion over the years that both scenarios are inevitible. The flacs are just compressed versions so they take up less space and they need to be UNcompressed (into AIFF or WAV formats) to listen as audio files.

I hope that helps! Happy listening.

Sign in to follow this