Best. Song. Ever.

Not just in terms of songwriting -- this is all about THE RECORDED SONG -- the whole package, as represented by a single recording by a specific artist.

Here's my pick:

Dion - "Runaround Sue"

This record has everything you need ... great vocals (lead and backing), danceable beat, punchy instrumentation, saxophone solo ... I defy you to name a better record.

...and that's the point. What do you think is better? ONE SONG ONLY, AS RECORDED BY ONE ARTIST -- you have to pick your ultimate, absolute favorite record. No hedging by posting a list. Take a stand, make a decision! :)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite song is Tangeld Up In Blue.

There. I said it.

:thumbup

Ballad of a Thin Man.

:thumbup

Friends ... Elton John (see, there I go)

Dylan scores three quick entries. :yes

I should probably have been a bit more explicit ... when I said "song," I meant "recording of a song." So, not necessarily the lyrics and melody, but the whole package, as recorded by a particular artist. (I'll fix my initial post to reflect that.)

Are you Dylan fans voting for Dylan's recordings of those songs? Or do you prefer someone else's? What's the one recording you prize above all others?

GD---Dark Star--"Live Dead" (1969)...what a shocker, huh?

Although MChris' choice has to be a very close second :wub

Some great, great choices here, and there are at least a trillion finalists for me, but oddly enough I was having this very same discussion yesterday with some friends, and after a few hours and beers, my choice is "My Girl" by the Temptations. Simple, effective and universal message that pertains as much to love of a daughter, mother, aunt, sister, as it does to a girlfriend/wife, brilliant arrangement from a musical and vocal standpoint... Jamerson's heartbeat bass intro, Robert White's masterful guitar line, the strings at the end... I still melt when I hear it, nearly 35 years after liking it for the first time. I've heard mixes of just the instrumental, and just the vocals, and both stand alone nearly as strongly as the combination.

cryptique, I did my best to defy you, and believe me, I adore "Runaround Sue," but "My Girl" has got everything.

cryptique, I did my best to defy you, and believe me, I adore "Runaround Sue," but "My Girl" has got everything.

I would put "My Girl" up in my top 5, probably. For me, the reason it's not # 1 is the string arrangement. I would love to hear that same recording with the strings stripped out in favor of a guitar solo, or even just a single violin playing the same part -- the string section is just too much.

In the end, that's a pretty minor complaint, though. That's definitely one of the great records of all time. :thumbup

Won't Get Fooled Again

I could easily second this.

Or maybe Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" just for the goosebumps I get when the horns play.

Maybe Otis Redding's version would be more to your liking, with Booker T & the MGs putting down a gorgeous, stripped-down arrangement, and the Memphis Horns taking on the string arrangement.

Nothing against Otis, but that lead vocal by David Ruffin can't be beat. I have to give the nod to the Temptations version, string section and all. :)

Or maybe Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" just for the goosebumps I get when the horns play.

Nice choice.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't re-thought my original pick a few times already. :D

"True Happiness This Way Lies"

The The - From "Dusk"

And have you ever wanted something so badly

that it possessed your body & your soul

through the night & through the day

until you finally get it!

And then you realise that it wasn't what you wanted after all.

And then those selfsame sickly little thoughts

now go & attach themselves to something....

....or somebody....new!

And the whole goddamn thing starts all over again.

Well, I've been crushing the symptoms but I can't locate the

cause.

Could God really be so cruel?

To give us feelings that could never be fulfilled. Baby!

I've got my sights set on you. I've got my sight set on you

And someday, someday, someday, you'll come my way.

But when you put your arms around me

I'll be looking over your shoulder for something new

'cause I ain't ever found peace upon the breast of a girl

I ain't ever found peace with the religion of the world

I ain't ever found peace at the bottom of a glass

sometimes it seems the more I ask for the less I receive

sometimes it seems the more I ask for the less I receive

The only true freedom is freedom from the heart's desires

& the only true happiness....this way lies.