Best. Song. Ever.

In My Life - Beatles. It's probably the best song ever written and recorded by it's writer. I love everything about it; incredible lyrics, wonderful music and instrumentation.

and a very close second is Take me to the River -- Al Green for the same reasons.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe cryptique originally solicited reaponses for best Rock and Roll tunes ever. I don't consider a lot of the mentions here R&R tunes. Into the Mystic is a gorgeous song, but is it a R&R tune? Isn't really more Pop/Soul?

Semantics, sure, but I may need to switch my selection now that the solicitation has been broadened to include any tune.

I believe cryptique originally solicited reaponses for best Rock and Roll tunes ever. I don't consider a lot of the mentions here R&R tunes. Into the Mystic is a gorgeous song, but is it a R&R tune? Isn't really more Pop/Soul?

Semantics, sure, but I may need to switch my selection now that the solicitation has been broadened to include any tune.

You raise a fair point, sir.

Given that the history of recorded music is limited to the last hundred years or so, I see no reason to limit this thread to "rock-n-roll." However, I do wish to confine it to "songs," and further to songs with lyrics that are sung. So, if you really love something Robert Johnson recorded many decades ago, that's fair game. Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations? No. Astrud Gilberto singing "The Girl From Ipanema"? Go for it.

(And yes, I'd noticed that the thread had strayed away from the question I initially posed, but not so horribly as to worry. Van Morrison fits into "rock" in my own, broad categorization, inaccurate as that may be.)

edit: looking back, I should note that "rock-n-roll" was specified only for the first half-hour or so of this thread's life, and not since ... which may be why it's taken a different turn since then. ;)

You raise a fair point, sir.

Given that the history of recorded music is limited to the last hundred years or so, I see no reason to limit this thread to "rock-n-roll." However, I do wish to confine it to "songs," and further to songs with lyrics that are sung. So, if you really love something Robert Johnson recorded many decades ago, that's fair game. Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations? No. Astrud Gilberto singing "The Girl From Ipanema"? Go for it.

So Green Onions by Booker T. and the MGs wouldn't count, eh?

So Green Onions by Booker T. and the MGs wouldn't count, eh?

Nope. Nor would "Axel F." :stunned

...but seriously, would anyone choose "Green Onions"? I've always regarded the Booker T. & The MG's stuff to be kind of dull. Obviously there were a lot of legendary musicians involved, but in the end, yawn. I've been listening to the Complete Stax-Volt Singles box set a lot lately, and I end up skipping the Booker T. tunes.

Green Onions is a kicking song, but I doubt it would be anybody's favorite.

For rock n' roll, I'm going with Born to Run by BRUUUUCCE!

R&B- What's Goin' On?- marvin gaye

This is major cliche, but I really can't think of a song that's better than "A Day in The Life" by The Beatles. It's not even my favorite Beatles song (that would be "Strawberry Fields Forever.") but "A Day in The Life" is just wow.

I know the lyrics are sort of incomprehensible, but to me that song has so much meaning which I can't describe. Every section is an incredible piece of art onto itself; the initial folk strum and John's world weary voice, the first crescendo, Paul's little twee middle section, the transition back into John's original section, done now with a sort of Sinatraesque gusto, followed by the final crescendo.

In My Opinion the greatest song. Ever.

In My Life - Beatles. It's probably the best song ever written and recorded by it's writer. I love everything about it; incredible lyrics, wonderful music and instrumentation.

and a very close second is Take me to the River -- Al Green for the same reasons.

I totally agree that In My Life is one of the best songs ever written.

But as for the Rev. Green, "Let's stay together" is my choice.

LouieB

Green Onions is a kicking song, but I doubt it would be anybody's favorite.

For rock n' roll, I'm going with Born to Run by BRUUUUCCE!

R&B- What's Goin' On?- marvin gaye

Bruce....."Darkness on the Edge of Town"...totally heartbreaking..

Marvin Gaye....pick one of the duets with Tami Terrell...some of the greatest music EVER recorded...

LouieB

Left of the Dial - The Replacements

Personally, I think it imbodies the true ethos of rock'n'roll...or at least my definition of rock'n'roll.

My absolute favorite 'Mats track. :cheers

Jumpin Jack Flash - Rolling Stones

My head explodes everytime that riff kicks in.

:yes