Best. Song. Ever.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really only one song that comes to mind...

'Thunder Road'

For rock n' roll, I'm going with Born to Run by BRUUUUCCE!

R&B- What's Goin' On?- marvin gaye

... "Rosalita" from the live box set Bruce released in the 80's.

Amen bruthas....

Let me respectfully submit the following:

Incident on 57th Street

Spanish Johnny drove in from the underworld last night

With bruised arms and broken rhythm in a beat-up old Buick

But dressed just like dynamite

He tried sellin' his heart to the hard girls over on Easy Street

But they sighed "Johnny it falls apart so easy and you know hearts these days are cheap"

And the pimps swung their axes and said "Johnny you're a cheater."

Well the pimps swung their axes and said "Johnny you're a liar"

And from out of the shadows came a young girl's voice said: "Johnny don't cry"

Puerto Rican Jane, oh won't you tell me what's your name.

I want to drive you down to the other side of town where paradise ain't so crowded, there'll be action goin' down on Shanty Lane tonight

All them golden-heeled fairies in a real bitch fight

Pull .38s and kiss the girls good night

Oh good night, it's alright Jane

Now let them black boys in to light the soul flame

We may find it out on the street tonight baby

Or we may walk until the daylight maybe

Well like a cool Romeo he made his moves, oh she looked so fine

Like a late Juliet she knew he'd never be true but then she really didn't mind

Upstairs a band was playin', the singer was singin' something about goin' home

She whispered, "Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight but just don't leave me alone"

And Johnny cried "Puerto Rican Jane, word is down the cops have found the vein"

Oh them barefoot boys left their homes for the woods

Them little barefoot street boys they say homes ain't no good

They left the corners, threw away all their switchblade knives and kissed each other good-bye

Johnny was sittin' on the fire escape watchin' the kids playin' down the street

He called down "Hey little heroes, summer's long but I guess it ain't very sweet around here anymore"

Janey sleeps in sheets damp with sweat, Johnny sits up alone and watches her dream on, dream on

And the sister prays for lost souls, then breaks down in the chapel after everyone's gone

Jane moves over to share her pillow but opens her eyes to see Johnny up and putting his clothes on

She says "Those romantic young boys

All they ever want to do is fight"

Those romantic young boys

They're callin' through the window

"Hey Spanish Johnny, you want to make a little easy money tonight?"

And Johnny whispered:

Good night, it's all tight Jane

I'll meet you tomorrow night on Lover's Lane

We may find it out on the street tonight baby

Or we may walk until the daylight maybe

My first thought was "Can't Hardly Wait" :cheers

Which version? Fucking great song, but if we're talking one that you could place as a flag on top of the rock version of Mt. Everest...the opening riff into the atomic bomb of a power chord from Bob on 'Dial' still gives me the chills and just sets you up for P Dub's strep throat vocals and the Tommy/Mars bombast. Plus, the lyrics just embody the more innocent age of indie/college rock and those of us who worshipped at it's altar.

If I heard "Like a Rolling Stone" for the very first time today, it would be the greatest song ever.

I only recently got the remastered version of The Band's "Rock of Ages" that has a Dylan/Band version of Like a Rolling Stone as one of the bonus tracks and that is quite possibly my favoriteist thing in the world right now. Somehow, the part where Bob forgets the words and just starts making sounds actually makes it more endearing, which is probably something only Dylan could pull off. :lol

Today it's Get Off My Cloud.

I was thinking Sympathy For The Devil.

BTW, some of the Stone's live 70s stuff is my favorite of theirs. Tumblin' Dice is generally even better live, and Shattered (never a favorite of mine) is much better live.

Although, Steet Fighting Man, one of my favorite Stone's tunes, always sounds best off the album, to these ears.

Which version? Fucking great song, but if we're talking one that you could place as a flag on top of the rock version of Mt. Everest...the opening riff into the atomic bomb of a power chord from Bob on 'Dial' still gives me the chills and just sets you up for P Dub's strep throat vocals and the Tommy/Mars bombast. Plus, the lyrics just embody the more innocent age of indie/college rock and those of us who worshipped at it's altar.

Well said :)

I vote for Gimme Shelter

Best song ever = "Heroin"

Anyway...

If I was gonna name a Replacements song as my all-time favorite song it would probably be off of Don't Tell A Soul and that song just might be called "Achin' To Be". It also might be called "Talent Show".

My favorite Replacements song is "Bastards of Young", but it's really tough to argue against "Achin' to Be". Great, great song.

My favorite Replacements song is "Bastards of Young", but it's really tough to argue against "Achin' to Be". Great, great song.

I just wish I could get "They're Blind" out of my head right now so I can hear "Achin To Be". :lol

I would argue that the second side of Bruce's The Wild The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle--Rosalita, Incident on 57th St, NYC Serenade--is the most flawless side in all of rock music. That's a big statement, but I don't feel the least bit pretensious saying it.

Left of the Dial - The Replacements

My first thought was "Can't Hardly Wait" :cheers

If I was gonna name a Replacements song as my all-time favorite song it would probably be off of Don't Tell A Soul and that song just might be called "Achin' To Be". It also might be called "Talent Show".

I think it's hard to beat "Here Comes A Regular". Everytime I hear it, I think what would it have been like if Cheers used this for a theme song...but I love the line "you're like a picture on a fridge that's never stocked with food", and the way Paul's voice breaks when he sings "I'm sick of everything my money can buy, a fool who wastes his life, god rest his guts" - it gets me every time. And the repeat of "ain't much to rake anyway in the fall" - basically I love everything about the song.

I also love "It's a Wonderful Lie" off of Westerberg's Suicaine Gratification, sometimes I think that's the best song ever.

Or "Straight To Hell" by the Clash