So now the new Arcade Fire has properly leaked, what do people think?

It was always gonna be be a bit of a letdown but it seems a bit weighed down in it's own melodrama and as such lacks the wonderful exhuberance of Funeral.

It's getting better with repeated listens & I'm thinking certain songs would definately come to life when seen live but still a bit of a disappointment IMHO.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO it's anything but a letdown... I suppose I wasn't sure what to expect, so hearing it was a relief as it's so good. Sure, it might not have the charm of their debut, but it's still a great record. They've developed their sound and their songs, it's a more mature Arcade Fire...

Certainly looking forward to hearing a proper version of it, but the leak has wetted my appetite, that's for sure.

From the listens I've had so far, I'm going to like this one about as much as I liked Funeral, which is in small doses. I just find them very tiring to listen to for any sustained period of time, and I think that is due to the production rather than the songs themselves.

I'm not trying to diss them or anything, cos I like what they do a fair bit. I just like them in small doses rather than across an entire album (which doesn't mean I only like certain songs, it just means I only like to hear one or two before I have to put something else on).

Already im enjoying this more than Funeral. It just seems to flow alot better. I liked Funeral alot but there are a couple of songs that I wasnt too keen on. This is alot more consistent.

Just ordered my deluxe CD from Merge. Works out just over

To where has it leaked? :monkey

It's been over at that pink place once or twice, but it's disappeared very quickly both times I've seen it. I may or may not have been able to grab it this morning before it went away. I don't know why it keeps disappearing, though.

It's been over at that pink place once or twice, but it's disappeared very quickly both times I've seen it. I may or may not have been able to grab it this morning before it went away. I don't know why it keeps disappearing, though.

Perhaps it's a bitrate issue? Anyway, someone in this thread helped me out. Thanks.

Already im enjoying this more than Funeral. It just seems to flow alot better. I liked Funeral alot but there are a couple of songs that I wasnt too keen on. This is alot more consistent.

I think I'm already in this camp. The highs might not be quite as high as they were on Funeral, but I actually like every song on this new one.

It's not "Funeral", that's for sure. I haven't decided better or worse yet, just different. In my old fashioned way, I don't think I can make a final determination until I hear the official release.

Welsh Rick has it right in terms of more mature. It doesn't have as many of the wall of noise rockers that "Funeral" had. It doesn't have that same youthful exuberance.

Remaking "No Cars Go" was a great decision because it is spectacular. "Keep The Car Running", "Anitchrist TV Blues", "Windowsill", "My Body is a Cage", and "The Well and the Lighthouse" are strong strong tracks. And there are no weak ones - nothing on here I'll be skipping over.

And I said this on another thread but it bears repeating. If you preorder through Us Kids Know, http://www.arcadefire.net/, you're helping to support that site.

It's not "Funeral", that's for sure. I haven't decided better or worse yet, just different. In my old fashioned way, I don't think I can make a final determination until I hear the official release.

Welsh Rick has it right in terms of more mature. It doesn't have as many of the wall of noise rockers that "Funeral" had. It doesn't have that same youthful exuberance.

Remaking "No Cars Go" was a great decision because it is spectacular. "Keep The Car Running", "Anitchrist TV Blues", "Windowsill", "My Body is a Cage", and "The Well and the Lighthouse" are strong strong tracks. And there are no weak ones - nothing on here I'll be skipping over.

And I said this on another thread but it bears repeating. If you preorder through Us Kids Know, http://www.arcadefire.net/, you're helping to support that site.

i've already been skipping the title track for a while now :hmm

but besides that one, i totally agree that on the whole it's more consistant, but besides the remake of NCG (always been one of their best songs), no single song on it touches Rebellion, Wake Up, or Tunnels for me. and as much as i do love it, i wish there was 1-2 rockers ala Power Out or Laika, cuz NCG is as rockin' as it gets this time out.

really? while the production on that one sorta annoys me (too subdued/quiet at the start), i love the song

Ocean of Noise i don't think much of the first few minutes, but that last minute and a half is stunning, and as a result it's a great song.