Now playing February 2007

I listened to this album a few times 2 days ago and really like the composition of the songs, the sound of the instruments, the time changes in the tunes, and the overall vibe of the band. I cannot, however, get past the little girl/ near-falsetto voice of the chick ( I think it's a chick) singing in the majority of the tunes. She has a nice voice but she sings in too high of a register for my liking.

Yeah, that seems to be the barrier for a lot of people. I like her how she sings though, for what sometimes sounds ridiculous or has ridiculous lyrics, it seems heartfelt. My friend saw them live not too long ago, and his impression was that the drummer was fantastic, but the singer was completely useless. As their newest biggest fan, I think she's essential.

Speaking of which - NP:

DeerhoofFriendOpportunity.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wub :wub :wub

Do you have their other records? That's my least favorite, but it really grew on me after a while.

I haven't listened to Ether Songs yet. I own it. It's hard for me to break away from this one

B0000594XF.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I listened to this album a few times 2 days ago and really like the composition of the songs, the sound of the instruments, the time changes in the tunes, and the overall vibe of the band. I cannot, however, get past the little girl/ near-falsetto voice of the chick ( I think it's a chick) singing in the majority of the tunes. She has a nice voice but she sings in too high of a register for my liking.

Exactly my problem with Deerhoof. Their music is great.. but the vocals :no

I think Runner's Four is a fantastic album. I've heard some hardcore fanboys/girls say that Runner's Four is "Deerhoof for people who don't understand Deerhoof", which sounds a bit snobby to me, but I suppose that record is slightly more accessible than their earlier outings. The drone at the end of "Spirit Ditties of No Tone" is an overt nod to Wilco. Satomi's vocals annoyed me at first too, with the whole high-register cute-sy thing. But I really liked the music, and after a while the vox grew on me. I saw them live a few months back and they put on a great show.

NP:

g10086jintm.jpg

^It scares me that its listed as being "Metal" in Oink but I might give it a go..

haha cool. its bookmarked. speaking of shoegazing did you manage to check out blackstrap?

just finishing up

B0001HKVAG.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

then i'm moving onto the two Lonely, Dear albums Rich gave me, which I've listened to and like a lot - cheers mate :cheers

Great stuff. If you like those two make sure you get Sologne and Loney, Noir too. They're just as good if not better. There both up on Oink. :)

Forget Cassettes : Salt

They're touring with ...And You Will Know Us By Trail Of Dead and whilst it's not quite as mad as them, it's great indie-rock. Reminds me a little of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's

As for that Kings Of Leon record, well, no band on the planet makes me feel less enthusiastic than them... for some reason they just get on my tits!

Is that a new album? I've got 'The Tired Sounds Of....." and I really like that (although it's a bit quiet).

Yes, their newest, out in a few weeks I think. One of their two members, Brian McBride, also had a lovely ambient/electroacoustic record on Kranky in 2005 called "When the Detail Lost Its Freedom." Here is a sampler of that: http://goodvibrato.org/?p=41

np

B0000CDL64.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:wub