Now playing February 2007

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the way, can't remember the name of the leader of the Broken Family Band right now (I think his name is Adams?), but I've read an interview where he mentions the Slim Cessna's Auto Club as one of his favorite bands

talking about bands obsessed by Jesus (and Satan)...

Jayzuz, I was just gonna post

art_jr4.jpg

Bought it a while ago but didn't get a chance to listen. I was driving to Markham last week, threw it on and low and behold there is Mary-Margaret O'Hara on a track.

So, how is the new one?

Its really good. Its a very laid back album that I've really been enjoying it a lot lately. I'm pretty new to him, so I'm not familiar with his first album (though I actually ordered it a couple of days ago on the strength of the one I have). What do you think of No Never Alone?

His voice and style remind me quite a bit of Ryan Adams. More Heartbreaker-era Adams than anything else, I'd say. And this album is a lot more consistent in quality than what I've come to expect from RA of late.

All in all - good stuff.

NP:

B00005NI5Y.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

can't believe it: our posts went at the same second, and you talk of a cover of Neutral Milk Hotel!! :cheers

Yeah - BFB do a cover of King of Carrott Flower Parts 2 and 3. The wail is not quite like Mangum's, but I still really like it.

Matt and I have been going on and on about a new to me band - the Broken Family Band. I've not been too much of an anglophile lately, but went and made a big order to amazon UK after not being able to find anything on the filesharers.

The NMH cover is on jesussongs_cover.gif with a sample here:

http://www.thebrokenfamilyband.com/music/

by the way, can't remember the name of the leader of the Broken Family Band right now (I think his name is Adams?), but I've read an interview where he mentions the Slim Cessna's Auto Club as one of his favorite bands

talking about bands obsessed by Jesus (and Satan)...

oh shit sorry - you already know more about them than I do. anyway, I haven't been playing much else lately.

Its really good. Its a very laid back album that I've really been enjoying it a lot lately. I'm pretty new to him, so I'm not familiar with his first album (though I actually ordered it a couple of days ago on the strength of the one I have). What do you think of No Never Alone?

His voice and style remind me quite a bit of Ryan Adams. More Heartbreaker-era Adams than anything else, I'd say. And this album is a lot more consistent in quality than what I've come to expect from RA of late.

All in all - good stuff.

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing - Ryan Adams when Ry-Ry was more consistent. Let's make a thread about him and I'll send you some samples of No Never Alone. It doesn't do his live show justice, so take a listen to this from a recording at the Cameron House. It's like when Adams worked a room without being drunk, or arrogant or constantly on the defensive about 'Summer of 69' heckles.

JustinandDolly.jpg

(that's him on Dolly's right orb)

Justin Rutledge - Don

oh shit sorry - you already know more about them than I do. anyway, I haven't been playing much else lately.

I just have Balls (I'm speaking of the album...) and another from Steven (?) Adams other solo project, that were released around the same time.

I just have Balls (I'm speaking of the album...) and another from Steven (?) Adams other solo project, that were released around the same time.

Ohh, I like Balls (both kinds). Hmm, I have got most of the BFB stuff, but not the Adams solo. Right now I'm thinking that Welcome Home Loser and Jesus Songs are 2 of the best things I've heard this decade.

Uhh, how familiar are you with the wonders of YSI? :)