Now playing February 2007

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond

edit: HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS THIS IS FUCKING KICKING MY ASS :rock

it's like they never left... this is the type of guitar album i've been waiting on someone to put out for the last few years now. Built To Spill do well, but damn... hope the rest is this strong. the guitar solo on the end of track 3, Pick Me Up just melted my face off.

Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond

it's like they never left... this is the type of guitar album i've been waiting on someone to put out for the last few years now. Built To Spill do well, but damn... hope the rest is this strong. the guitar solo on the end of track 3, Pick Me Up just melted my face off.

Great to hear :rock

just finished it. while it certainly mellows out in spots (and even the mellower songs are still awesome), the opening 3 songs totally hook you in right away.

this really wouldn't have sounded that outta place in '93 at all...

Almost Ready = totally Husker Du. i can even picture Mould singing it.

it's got no shortage of great hooks either (Crumble, This Is All I Came To Do, Been There All The Time, We're Not Alone, What If I Knew)

if they can pull it off and sound this authentic, i definitely hope the Pixies give it a shot at least.

Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond

I'm just finishing this. All I can say is :blink

:cheers

I came to the conclusion on the train tonight that "The Cold Swedish Winter" may well be one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Amazing.

Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond

:omg

My god, that awesome, huh? I had my expectations set pretty low and now my spirit is raised.

glad you had your expectations low... myself, i had little to no expectations going in, and while that's probably helped my being so open to this and loving it, it's REALLY REALLY good, so i think i may have been impressed even with some higher expectations.

i hope you feel somewhat similiarly

Been listening to that Dinosaur Jr album in the car this evening - it is very good, I'm about 1/2 way through.

Agree with what you say Kyle, the opening 3 tracks are brilliant and whilst the mellow stuff isn't AS good, it's still great... impressive stuff.

p.s. Bridget - do some work and stop leaving messages on my blog ;)

there's just really great and catchy melodies galore. even on first listen there were 3-4 songs stuck in my head, and by the 2nd and 3rd listens, a few that hadn't got in my head earlier did.

the only song that i'm a bit so-so on right now is "I Got Lost", which is a very cool acoustic/sparse sounding track, but it'd be better served as the last song imo. it reminds me of Joseph Arthur.

I've come to the Dinosaur Jr party a bit late really, I knew of them and heard some of their stuff but didn't get into them until I saw them live at ATP last year where I was completely blown away.

Looking forward to the official release of this... plus I ordered a load of back issue stuff off the Merge records website the other day!

glad you had your expectations low... myself, i had little to no expectations going in, and while that's probably helped my being so open to this and loving it, it's REALLY REALLY good, so i think i may have been impressed even with some higher expectations.

i hope you feel somewhat similiarly

I dunno. I just kinda cringe when I hear about reunion albums; not so much about tours because it give me the opportunity to see these bands that I didn't get to see. I feel that very few bands can actually pull it off. Mission of Burma pulled it off I believe but few do it right.

yeah, that's the thing with this one, if you hadn't told me better, i would have guessed this record came out anytime between 1990 and 1994. it doesn't have that reunion feel whatsoever for me, it feels totally natural.

B000E6GBV2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V47018050_.jpg

I can't get enough of this album. Seriously, I didn't think much of it when I got it a few months back. However, over the past week, I can't keep from not playing it. Between this and the Arcade Fire's new one, this is about all I am listening to.

i went through a band of horses phase not too unlike that after i saw them live last september... what a great fucking album.

still listening:

B0000TGAIC.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

great live disc.... i always forget about this lyric:

I've been angry

And I have strayed

I said words i never thought that I could say

You were sadly sweet

Like a Wilco song

But I'll be back up on my feet before too long

:wub :wub :wub

^^ glad you like it.

maybe it was their move from Seattle to North Carolina that did it? :P

South Carolina. They're based outta Charleston now. I may go see them in Asheville next month. I have yet to decide but I am really into the album now. It may wear off in a few days, who knows.

I got his at the same time that I got Destroyer's Rubies, which I did not like.