Not likely. The design of a steel string guitar is such that a considerably higher amount of tension is put on the strings than on a typical nylon string guitar. I tried to do this once and all of the nylon strings popped as I was trying to tighten them. Conversly, if you put steel strings on a nylon string guitar you can fold the neck. Try different types of strings. I went from Elixirs to D'addario Phosphor Bronze and it gave me a much darker sound I was looking for.

Not likely. The design of a steel string guitar is such that a considerably higher amount of tension is put on the strings than on a typical nylon string guitar. I tried to do this once and all of the nylon strings popped as I was trying to tighten them. Conversly, if you put steel strings on a nylon string guitar you can fold the neck. Try different types of strings. I went from Elixirs to D'addario Phosphor Bronze and it gave me a much darker sound I was looking for.

thanks. what would i need if i was trying to get a nice warm sound like jeff? i've been using martin strings for quite a while and was never sure what kind to switch to.

You'd need a good soundman, for one thing.
That, and the fact that most of his guitar's cost more than a lot of people's cars....I don't know what kind of instrument you are playing, but that could have a lot to do with it. If you have a $150 guitar, I don't know how possible it is to mimic the sound of a pre-war Martin or vintage Gibson. Perhaps take your guitar to your local store, have the luthier take a look at it and tell him what you're going for and what his advice on strings would be.

yeah thats true. i've been thinking here lately of running down to broadway sound and getting a new bridge and nut put on and getting it cleaned up some. even though it won't do magic, it'll be the best i can do until i get the money to afford a new guitar. which will be a while. until then though, what kind of strings do you reccomend? something less steel and clanky sounding.

what kind of strings do you reccomend?
I don't think there is one type of string for every guitar. I've played for 15 years and I couldn't say one brand or type is the best. I have a mahogany top Martin, and have had Elixir Nanoweb on there forever. I was convinced that this was the best string in the world. Then I got a Gibson J45 and it sounded like hell with the same type of strings. I switched to D'addario phosphor bronze on the Gibson, which gave it a nice "woody" sound. Still, the Martin sounds best with the Elixirs and not good with the D'addarios. So, it truly depends on your type of guitar. Maybe go to the store and see what kind of strings are on a guitar that you like and try those on your own. Five bucks for a pack of strings is worth giving it a shot.

i know for a fact that jeff uses d'addario phosphor bronze mediums (13's) on all his guitars, except the 0 and 00 martins. But then again, the J45 he uses is a very dark and warm-sounding guitar because of its body shape and the mahogany back, so it also depends not only on how expensive your guitar is, but what its shape and tonewoods are.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there such a thing as flat-wound strings for acoustic guitars? If so, they might be worth trying.

Thats a good question............anyone have an answer?

Thats a good question............anyone have an answer?

Yes, they exist but are rare. A company called Galli produces "Galli Flatwound Bronze." Some companies produce hybrid jazz sets where just one or two strings are flatwounds.

Practically speaking, I can't imagine using them in anything other than a recording setting. Typically you're going to want more "life" or "response" from an acoustic guitar which you're more likely to get from quarter-wound or round-wound strings. Even if you're amplifying the guitar, flatwounds would suck out the "punch" and other dynamics from your sound. That being said, I'm sure there are unique applications for acoustic flatwounds that would sound great in the hands of the right guitarist. But I'm guessing that guitarist would also have another acoustic with standard strings.

Sort of related - I think John used flatwound bass strings on some of the AGIB recordings.

I now as a novice bass player that I prefer flat wounds,much easier on my skinny fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

for what its worth, i really enjoy getting different strings and putting them on my guitar to see the differences. like someone else mentioned above, its only $5 and its like you get a new guitar every time. I would recommend you just mess around and until you find some you really love, every time you replace strings you might want to try something new.

I stumbled across LaBella silk and steel strings recently and i really enjoyed these. I dont think many people know about them. on deck, when those wear out, are some d'addario phospher bronze and martin strings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i play a taylor 110, with martin strings on it. i'm not sure that they're what i'm looking for; are there any other taylor owners out there that can recommend some good strings?

also, an off topic question, do guitar stores usually do any exchange for cash deals? i'd love to save up some money and trade my 110 in for cash/store credits to get a higher end taylor. thanks for any info!

i play a taylor 110, with martin strings on it. i'm not sure that they're what i'm looking for; are there any other taylor owners out there that can recommend some good strings?

also, an off topic question, do guitar stores usually do any exchange for cash deals? i'd love to save up some money and trade my 110 in for cash/store credits to get a higher end taylor. thanks for any info!

I think a lot of Taylor owners use coated strings -- Elixir was the first to make them but I think most string manufacturers have their versions now.

As for trade in -- DON'T DO IT. You will not get your money's worth. Period. List it on ebay or craigslist where you can at least obtain market value for your guitar. That will allow you more dough to put towards something new and you won't feel ripped off.