Preamble: It's so easy for threads like this to turn into big free for alls, so as the thread originator, I'm going to say one thing. Keep it to one album :-). All

So what is your favorite album of all time.

For me, the answer is three simple words. Blonde on Blonde. No album fits all of my moods quite like this one. I adore the production on it. The brassy sounding guitar, the church organ, the drums, and most of all Dylan all sound amazing. His vocals sound a lot less nasally than they did on Bringing it All Back Home, and even more powerful than they did on Highway 61, Revisited.

For all it's surrealistic imagery, and witt, I feel like people lose sight of what Blonde on Blonde really is; it's a Love album. So much of the album deals with Dylan's own problems relating to the fairer sex, and how to relate to his lover on that level. He dismisses her (Just Like a Woman, One of Us Must Know) makes fun of her (and the Beatles on "4th Time Around") Lusts after her (I Want You), and in the end praises her with one of the greatest songs of love & praise I've ever heard (Sad-Eyed Lady of The Lowlands) all without losing his classic Bob Dylan scowl, and surreal hippness.

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't get into Dylan until I was 18, but in the 5 years since I did, BoB has been on a steady repeat. It gets, and always will get, at least 2-3 spins a week.

So what's your favorite record ever.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's really two words. one's just repeated. (it's caliber's birthday)

Edit: I forgot that when being a smartass one should at least respond to the thread topic...

For the longest time I waffled between the cowboy junkies' "trinity sessions" and "caution horses". "Freewheelin'" and "Highway 61" were competing for a long time.

But now I don't know how I'd live without yankee hotel foxtrot, so I guess that's it.

B0000019PA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

More than any other album, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea has made a more lasting impression than any other album I have or have heard. I can say a million things about it but I will hold.

(weezer's pinkerton would be a close second though).

B0000019PA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

More than any other album, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea has made a more lasting impression than any other album I have or have heard. I can say a million things about it but I will hold.

(weezer's pinkerton would be a close second though).

Aeroplane is probably in my top 20. Gorgeous Gorgeous album. I cried in a corner after I heard it the first time, and couldn't think straight for days.

I have to go with what got me into Wilco in 2005 with A Ghost Is Born. At the time, I was really starting to become disappointed in rock and roll. I did not know about some good music that existed nowadays and I basically thought rock and roll is dead. However, I was looking at NPR's All Songs Considered show and I noticed the viewer's #1 album of 2005 was A Ghost Is Born. At the time, I had only heard Wilco by name because of Greg Kot and Jim Derogatis's review of the Madison Square Garden show on New Year's eve 2004 on Sound Opinions.

So I went to buy the CD on my first day of spring break. My family and I were heading to a little cottage in a western town at the edge of Illinois. On the car ride there, I listened to the album twice and while I was at the cottage for three days I listened to again and again, and on the car ride home I listened to it again. I was amazed. I now realized it had everything that was great about rock and roll: ambigiouty. All of the songs were different styles of rock and roll which to me is what rock and roll is: everything. Plus, I could also connect to Tweey's lyrical structure of idenity within the album-which to me is what great art is the listener, reader, or whatever being able to personally connect to that piece of work. It is kind of like how Lester Bangs related to Metal Machine Music while most people don't; he connects to it becuase it expresses to him his gonzo and misunderstood personality.

So after getting back home from the three day trip. I decided to find out more bands that I could connect to the same I did with Wilco. During spring break, I found out about The Flaming Lips and I bought "Transmissons From The Sattelite Heart." And to this day I keep repeating this same process and I keep finding wonderful and marvelous pieces of work that are all apart of the ambigiouty of rock and roll.

Bobby Dylan--HWY 61.

the only cool album my parents had, and I stole it -they never knew because they never listened to it

I have no idea about favorite, really

Being There? The Yes Album? Revolver? Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements(Stereolab)? Some Friendly(Charlatans UK)? I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One (YLT)? Greendale?

dunno

Picking just one is kind of a false exercise, but if I had to pick just one, it would be Abbey Road.

If I was asked this question between 1993 and 2000 I would have said Smashing Pumkins - Siamese Dream. That album however has lost a little bit of its shine over the last few years though it is still in my top 5 for sure.

My absolute favorite album would have to be another album that came out durring the same time:

B0000018AT.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Buffalo Tom - Big Red Letter Day

if you have never heard this album, I encourage you to seek it out. I am sure it can be found at some larger indie / used record stores. While this 3 piece's album is not overly original or groundbreaking as many other albums listed in this thread, it has all of the elements to be a great, great rock album. Bill Janovitz is one of the most underrated story-telling songwriters out there. His lyrics are poetic and heartbreaking (at times). Each song is filled with hooks a plenty and holds up very well to repeated listens. It does not feel like a 90's grunge rock album and it has held up very well over the years. Please check it out.