Florence MA Show 7/16/07

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that not the reason one can fit a lot of songs on an Ipod - because the files are a low bit rate? I am not taking about stuff you grab, but rather files people convert.

When/if I do mp3 rips - I use EAC with the following setting: LAME 3.97 -V0 --vbr-new. Not that I really know all the tech hoo hah, but I have been told this is the best.

it's still 1/3 - 1/4 of the flac size, no? I rip at 192 aac (vbr), and while I can hear the difference, I can live with it to fit more files. personal choice. or the result of too many hardcore shows. or just preferring shitty music. :monkey

Well this might help what has become a round table discussion/op ed. From wikipedia:

"The transparency threshold of MP3 can be estimated to be at about 128k with good encoders on typical music as evidenced by its strong performance in the above test, however some particularly difficult material can require 192k or higher. As with all lossy formats, some samples can not be encoded perfectly transparent to all users. Thus many users opt for 192k as a good trade off."

In short: you can encode it at whatever fancy bit rate you want, but if the program/machine doing it is crap it will sound like crap. Some audio holds up better at lower bit rates than others. Probably a solo tweedy performance, or a rockin Bruce Springsteen song sounds better on high bit mp3 than a massive symphony recording.

You should do a test - while you can still hear.

Take a song you know well - say some Beatles song.

Listen to the vinly.

Listen to the CD.

Listen to a FLAC file of the song.

Listen to an Mp3 of the song.

What is preferred bit rate of Mp3's in an ipod? Less than 128?

128 is the default, which doesn't sound bad for most things, but 192 is better.

can't believe i'm gonna make my first post here about a format fight, but give the people what they want for crying out loud. if someone wants to convert your recording from flac to mp3, big deal. you put it on the internet, you don't have control over it anymore (in many cases the tapings weren't even legal to begin with...).

get over it.

that said, myself and many others i'm sure could easily tell the difference between 192 VBR MP3 and some lossless compression given the right reference system. i'm willing to take the quality loss, to save disk space / download times.

to each their own :)

-josh

can't believe i'm gonna make my first post here about a format fight, but give the people what they want for crying out loud. if someone wants to convert your recording from flac to mp3, big deal. you put it on the internet, you don't have control over it anymore (in many cases the tapings weren't even legal to begin with...).

get over it.

that said, myself and many others i'm sure could easily tell the difference between 192 VBR MP3 and some lossless compression given the right reference system. i'm willing to take the quality loss, to save disk space / download times.

to each their own :)

-josh

exactly. thats all that needs to be said. i bow to you.

someone close this thread.