Jeff Tweedy 02/17/2007

A night I won't forget anytime soon... absolutely off da hook!!!!!!! :)

Yes, puppy voice is a frustrating, debilitating condition that even the finest allergy medications that science has to offer cannot hold off... I felt much better the following morning, and I still wouldn't trade having Winston (sooz's adorable puppy) sound asleep on my lap for an hour for my voice at 2:30am. He's just too cute.

It was an honor to get to play and sing with Mr. Tweedy. Thank you immensely for that, sir.

I think I'll have to retire "Try a Little Tenderness" from the NYC Campfire shows... I mean, it just won't be the same without Jeff backing me up. :lol

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll have to retire "Try a Little Tenderness" from the NYC Campfire shows... I mean, it just won't be the same without Jeff backing me up. :lol

it was an amazing rendition. one of my favorite songs. thanks so much for playing it. :cheers

Lord, I'm just overwhelmed remembering it all.

Kris, thank you for mentioning that "Pee Break #1" was not just a respite, but a musical composition as well.

I don't think I've ever heard a hotTer version of Try a Little Tenderness.

And Dreamin' Judy's little baby girl chuckles better than anyone I've ever met.

I don't think I've ever heard a hotTer version of Try a Little Tenderness.

That makes two of us. It inspired one of my favorite pictures from the night. :)

Here are a couple of other photos for now.

Esteban giving us the gift of guitar:

1ba4d131.jpg

Dave and Jeff on Strangers:

c88f7f0b.jpg

I am still trying to recover and wrap my mind around the whole weekend. Eventually I'll be coherent.

While I'm posting setlists, let me just add that we once again had the pleasure of hearing some of the fabulous musical exploits of our friends Dave Mirabella and Martin Rivas. Aside from their contributions to Jeff's performance as noted above, they also each played a set for us and I would feel remiss without listing those setlists as well...

what?!?! paul, you didn't include our own kickin' version of "corduroy cutoff girl" with dave mirabella on guitar! :P

what?!?! paul, you didn't include our own kickin' version of "corduroy cutoff girl" with dave mirabella on guitar! :P

I make it a rule not to self-incriminate--ha! :P

No, seriously Judes, I can only keep tabs on what's going on setlist-wise for so long. By the time we started in, I think it was the after, after, after-party and I had put the notebook away. But since you brought it up (and for the approximately five people who care) after Mr. Rivas' finished, the setlist went on:

-Corduroy Cutoff Girl (w/Dr. Judy, Paul, Brianne and others on vocals and Dave Mirabella on guitar)

-Sandusky (solo guitar version by Dave Mirabella)

Am I missing anything else in the post-, post-, post-party shenanigans?

And Sandy, I don't remember "Walk On" at any point, although I could have missed a fragment somewhere in there. Anyone else remember?

Esteban giving us the gift of guitar:

1ba4d131.jpg

you can see that Esteban and the sock-Esteban are wearing the same outfit in this pic!

so glad to see the setlist! thanks, paul! also, your notations are evocative of the evening's preceedings.

Five Man Acoustical Jam (FMAJ). fucking awesome.

herman's hermits. bonus! :dancing

Yes! Herman's Hermits are the best bonus tracks ever for a basement show, just in case someone's keeping score.

And speaking of keeping score, is there anyone who is watch-aware enough to tell us how long jeff played? It seemed like it was way above and beyond what we might have expected. He's a generous guy, and Susan is the Czarina of Patience in my book.

I would like to add to the strong appreciation of this year's poster: when my flight was delayed two hours, I forgot the poster was in my backpack and fell asleep on it. The poster nevertheless made it home without a wrinkle! Not only is it beautiful (wow), it's magic, too!

Kris, thank you for mentioning that "Pee Break #1" was not just a break, but a musical composition.

yeah it was a mix of :blush and :w00t for me. when it was announced that a pee break was officially happening, I was sitting there, and I kinda sang the song to myself. then Jeff picked up on it, and started to rock it on the guitar.

hearing him sing, "Tonight there's gonna be a pee break, all over the town..." was hilarious.

Very cool to see that some people played with Jeff. I'll be playing with him at one of these next week. I think nearly everyone at the next living room show will get up to play with him at some point. It's gonna rock. Glad to see that this show went well and it sounds like it was great fun. Now I'm getting excited about next week. Gotta practice some tunes!

-I Shall Be Released [bob Dylan] (Five Man Acoustical Jam)

Paul, didn't we get a Dave Mirabella vocal on this one?

thanks to Maudie (I think that's who's taking the picture on the steps) for the added flash effect.

:blush Sorry about that! Yeah, the paparazzi were a little out of control that night.

it was an amazing rendition. one of my favorite songs. thanks so much for playing it. :cheers

Definitely one of the highlights of the night for me. :yes

And Dreamin' Judy's little baby girl chuckles better than anyone I've ever met.

She's so very beautiful. I've got a great picture of her that will make an appearance here shortly.

[quote name='pn

-Corduroy Cutoff Girl (w/Dr. Judy, Paul, Brianne and others on vocals and Dave Mirabella on guitar)

-Sandusky (solo guitar version by Dave Mirabella)

1. "hey, if we can do it..." :lol this was a fab rendition. my first time hearing it live! :monkey

2. a perfet apertif, or chocolate wafer to cap the night. sandusky had been in my head for a couple of days before the trip.

also: during the FMAJ (see above) i noticed some gorgeous pieces being played by all during the songs. lovely!

quote of the night: "you can't put a capo on an omnichord!"

and everyone, "E7.....A....G"

Paul, didn't we get a Dave Mirabella vocal on this one?

I think that was mostly a Jeff and Dave vocal affair, which I will edit my setlist to note. Things were beginning to get out of hand, in a great way, by that point. But it started to get hard to keep track of who was doing exactly what...:P

Hell yes!

IMG_0484-1.jpg

I didn't quite get a picture before she blew out the candle.

I like to make my wishes quickly, in hopes of getting 'em faster.

I seem to recall I also ordered the crowd to pick up the tempo on Happy Birthday, too (though that was more to get the self-consciousness over with).

Dang, those were good cupcakes.