Producer of Sky Blue Sky??

I believe it was produced by Wilco and mixed by Jim O'Rourke and probably engineered by that Chris Brickley (????) I think thats his name, who helped with YHF. Mike Jorgensen would have engineered too, but I remember him saying it was too exhausting to work both ends of the process.

Someone a month ago posted an article from I think Q magazine? and within the article it stated that Jeff Tweedy was producing it. However, Jim O'Rourke is still mixing the record which I happy to hear because Jim O'Rourke ruins records.

Though seriously I love O'Rourke and I think he is amazing at everything he does.

Kind of off topic but do you guys know if this album was recorded digitally or on tape like previous records. I guess if it was digital someone could send the stuff to orourke in japan (via an enormous yousendit post).

I wonder if Wilco would just let him mix it in some country around the world without any input from the band in a basically unknown landscape of recording/mastering studios. I thought I read an article about this being mixed in NYC.

If I remember correctly, I think Jeff said that he didn't think he was ever going back to digital, and that he was sticking to tape from now on, since he is all natch.

Also I read somewhere (can't remember where), that right before they stopped mass producing analog tape, Jeff bought a bunch of it, for future use, because he had heard it wasn't going to be mass produced anymore.

I work at a studio in Atlanta and we use both Digital & Analog(tape). The only big company left that made 2 inch tape closed down but in its wake a bigger company is going to keep making them last I heard(a couple months ago). A band like Wilco could record analog for forever for just the reason there are so many recording artists going digital that the few who still want to record analog will be able to. Supply and demand is the long and short of it I guess.

Good thing Wilco has a strong creative preference because lots of labels demand digital for it's speed of use and much cheaper equipment. Anyways it wouldn't be uncommon at all for bands to send off analog tapes to get mixed or mastered. I think it would suprise people to find out some places and labels prefer to do it without the band or it is just a non issue for the band to be there for the more technical phases of making an album. You usually use those people because of what they do and how they do it not how you want them to do it.

Bands such as The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Beach Boys etc etc would send tapes to artists, mastering houses or whatever for them to have other people sing, play, mix or master at the studio they are most comfortable with.

Sometimes on duets or guests artists esp. in hip hop and r&b the people usually never meet the person they are dueting with or have a guest spot on the record. For the simple reason it is much cheaper to send an analog tape via UPS them fly someone and their entourage to wherever you're at.

Since things are so digital with the large labels it isn't uncommon to recieve digital files over the internet for songs for your to be on them send them back over the internet. Anyway enough tech talk! Can't wait for the new Wilco record.till after the fact.

The digital/analog quesiton....One of my good friends used to intern at a prominent studio in LA and he said that a lot of the time recording would be done through Protools (digital) and then output to tape once the mixing was done. I don't know the details of this, however.

The digital/analog quesiton....One of my good friends used to intern at a prominent studio in LA and he said that a lot of the time recording would be done through Protools (digital) and then output to tape once the mixing was done. I don't know the details of this, however.

Every album is mixed to tape. It's sort of a superstitious thing.

You see, analog tape machines are very easy to come by, and they are also very physical.

If the digital copies get deleted/ wiped (or God forbid a technological holocaust where all computers stop working) They could still have copies of the albums on tape.

These aren't used for transfers though, the signal to noise ratio on protools is just so much higher than that of analog tape.

That's why no matter what, remasters of old records never sound as clean as a record done. Sure you can remove all of the hiss, but it results in a hollow sound (see Let it Be...Naked.) The noise floor on analog tape is much higher.

That's why no matter what, remasters of old records never sound as clean as a record done. Sure you can remove all of the hiss, but it results in a hollow sound (see Let it Be...Naked.) The noise floor on analog tape is much higher.

wow i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought removing all of the hiss from Let it Be ruined it ... way to suck out a record's soul !