Washington DC

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also thinking - anyone know what the jails are like in DC?? :lol We are participating in non-violent civil disobedience outside of the White House, with risk of arrest

Yes, I do: the only food they will give you is baloney on wonderbread.

True!

In all actuality, these events are so common in DC that the routine is pretty straightforward. If you're not willing to risk arrest, then when they give you the order to disperse, walk away. If you want to be arrested, don't disperse. And generally the group organizing the CD has lawyers at the ready, so unless you refuse to post bail, you'll be out before you have to suffer more than one baloney sandwich.

The one exception to that was committed by the chief of police who is no longer here (people were arrested with no order to disperse. Given that it's not illegal in the US to assemble peacefully, that was wholly unconstitutional and the city had to pay millions to the tourists and other bystanders who were arrested for perfectly legal activity).

I'm going to DC in March as well and definitely want to hit up some historical sites - Mount Vernon, Ford's Theater, etc. Can anyone suggest some cool historical homes to tour or old pubs, etc? I'm a history buff. Thanks...

If old homes (Mt. Vernon and such) are your thing, there's also the lesser-known Gunston Hall (George Mason's home) not too far away, either. I think I must have gone there on field trips at least 17 times as a kid cuz it was less crowded and easier to manage groups at than Mt. Vernon. :lol But it probably requires a car to get there.

I'm going to DC in March as well and definitely want to hit up some historical sites - Mount Vernon, Ford's Theater, etc. Can anyone suggest some cool historical homes to tour or old pubs, etc? I'm a history buff. Thanks...

In addition to Gunston Hall, mentioned in the other post. You have Robert E. Lee's birth place in Old Town and his pre-Civil War home in Arlington Cemetry. They just open a new interactive visitor center at Mt. Vernon, but I haven't been yet. You also have Gadsby's Tavern and Fort Ward in Old Town. At least that's in NOVA. You've got more in DC.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how I missed this thread when it first happened, and obviously anything I could add is too late now, but:

Make sure to get to the FDR memorial. If you're hanging around Lincoln and Jefferson, you'll probably end up there anyway, but really, make a point of going to it. It's awesome.

I was in DC a year ago this week, and I saw a kid in a wheelchair getting his picture taken at the FDR memorial. It was one of those moments that if I saw it in a movie, I would bitch about how fake and forced it was, but it was insanely cool to see it really happening.

In all actuality, these events are so common in DC that the routine is pretty straightforward. If you're not willing to risk arrest, then when they give you the order to disperse, walk away. If you want to be arrested, don't disperse. And generally the group organizing the CD has lawyers at the ready, so unless you refuse to post bail, you'll be out before you have to suffer more than one baloney sandwich.

San Francisco has a similar system. We were organizing a demonstration once, and you're supposed to call the SFPD to arrange for a permit or whatever, and they had a list of questions including "...and will you practicing civil disobedience?" It was like being asked by the maitre d' if we'd prefer smoking or non-smoking.

We actually were not able to go, because I was just starting a new job. :glare

Its ok...I paid a tall kid to wear a "my name is Graham" t-shirt and walk around the Air and Space museum with me for a few hours. I was really quite surprised to find out you don't know jack shit about the history of space exploration.

ok, I'll be in Baltimore next month and have an evening free. I didn't know how far DC was from there, but apparently it's an hour train ride. Never been there, but I figure why not? So.... I'll probably have 3-4 hours tops in DC from the time I get off the train in Union Station. Any ideas for a really, really quick trip? I figure something on the Mall, right?

ok, I'll be in Baltimore next month and have an evening free. I didn't know how far DC was from there, but apparently it's an hour train ride. Never been there, but I figure why not? So.... I'll probably have 3-4 hours tops in DC from the time I get off the train in Union Station. Any ideas for a really, really quick trip? I figure something on the Mall, right?

Baltimore and DC are roughly 30-40 miles apart. Not far at all. I'm not sure I've ever ridden the train between them so I can't comment on how long that is. By car it is no more than a half hour, unless you're doing it at rush hour and then who knows? :lol

Hey y'all. I guess I'm a little late for this thread and missed it the first time around, but I'm escaping Jerry Falwell-ville (Lynchburg) and have accepted a position in Fairfax. Anyway, I was thinking about buying a Fodors guide or an insider's guide or something so I can start trying to see stuff on the weekends.

Thanks for all the great tips!

BTW, I especially appreciate the food tips. I would fookin' kill for some Korean Bi-Bim-Bop or some decent Middle Eastern. Their idea of ethnic cuisine in Lynchburg is going to the fuggin' Golden Corral for fried shrimp on Tuesdays.

dcd

Hey y'all. I guess I'm a little late for this thread and missed it the first time around, but I'm escaping Jerry Falwell-ville (Lynchburg) and have accepted a position in Fairfax.

Good call. Where in Fairfax? (I grew up in Springfield)

:omg Will you be working with ction and Wookies?

Dunno. Where do they work?

Good call. Where in Fairfax? (I grew up in Springfield)

Random Hills Road. I'd post the name of the company, but I don't know about any of you crazy stalker-types. ;)

BTW, I especially appreciate the food tips. I would fookin' kill for some Korean Bi-Bim-Bop or some decent Middle Eastern. The idea of ethnic cuisine in Lynchburg is going to the fuggin' Golden Corral for fried shrimp on Tuesdays.

First of all, I love you. Unfortunately I don't know of any really outstanding places to get Korean food around the Fairfax area, but there's a fun little place called Magpie's Nest that's attached to a Korean market on the north side of Fairfax Circle, and there's a nice Korean restaurant in the shopping center with Trader Joe's and the post office on 29 in Centreville. I've had both bibim bap and bul gogi at both, and they're pretty good. The Centrevillle place is pricier than Magpie's Nest, but both come with all sorts of soup, kimchee and other assorted side dishes. There are dirty little Korean bbq places scattered throughout the area, though.

Dunno. Where do they work?

Quite close to you, if you're on Random Hills Road.

First of all, I love you. Unfortunately I don't know of any really outstanding places to get Korean food around the Fairfax area, but there's a fun little place called Magpie's Nest that's attached to a Korean market on the north side of Fairfax Circle, and there's a nice Korean restaurant in the shopping center with Trader Joe's and the post office on 29 in Centreville. I've had both bibim bap and bul gogi at both, and they're pretty good. The Centrevillle place is pricier than Magpie's Nest, but both come with all sorts of soup, kimchee and other assorted side dishes. There are dirty little Korean bbq places scattered throughout the area, though.

Quite close to you.

Thank you. I love you, too? I know we don't really know each other yet, but there's time for that later...

mmmmm.... kimchee..... BTW, I knew I didn't spell bibim bap the correct way. When in doubt, go phoenetic.

I'll need to find the Trader Joe's. I'm not too familiar with the area yet, but Centreville is just one town over from Fairfax, right?

I'll eat the hell out of some dirty Korean bbq! mmmm

dcd

Thank you. I love you, too? I know we don't really know each other yet, but there's time for that later...

mmmmm.... kimchee..... BTW, I knew I didn't spell bibim bap the correct way. When in doubt, go phoenetic.

I'll need to find the Trader Joe's. I'm not too familiar with the area yet, but Centreville is just one town over from Fairfax, right?

I'll eat the hell out of some dirty Korean bbq! mmmm

dcd

It's all phonetic. I just spelled it the way they had it on the last menu I saw down there. :lol

Anyway, yeah, Centreville is near Fairfax - in fact, that shopping center with TJ's is a couple miles down 29 from Random Hills.

Never heard of it.

Ok, you're maybe 5 minutes away. Do you like Golden Tee?

I like beer. I'm not good at Golden Tee, but would gladly do some imbibing and try my hand at it sometime.

I know where I'll be on Random Hills Road is right by some mall... haha...I know really fuggin' descriptive of me. There's also another mall that has a massive movie theater where I saw "300" after my interview, and a restaurant called "Coastal Flats" (maybe?) and a Caribou Coffee if you go the other way on Random Hills.

dcd

It's all phonetic. I just spelled it the way they had it on the last menu I saw down there. :lol

Anyway, yeah, Centreville is near Fairfax - in fact, that shopping center with TJ's is a couple miles down 29 from Random Hills.

Thanks, man! I'll get the lay of the land soon enough. My boss told me they just put up a Whole Foods in Fairfax over by the Nortel Gubment Soultions building.

I like beer. I'm not good at Golden Tee, but would gladly do some imbibing and try my hand at it sometime.

I know where I'll be on Random Hills Road is right by some mall... haha...I know really fuggin' descriptive of me. There's also another mall that has a massive movie theater where I saw "300" after my interview, and a restaurant called "Coastal Flats" (maybe?) and a Caribou Coffee if you go the other way on Random Hills.

dcd

Thanks, man! I'll get the lay of the land soon enough. My boss told me they just put up a Whole Foods in Fairfax over by the Nortel Gubment Soultions building.

There are only a couple of office buildings on Random Hills and they're all pretty much in the same spot...you might be in the one where my wife used to work.

Yeah, that Town Center place has a Coastal Flats. Good food, long waits.

The Whole Foods is across the street from my office. There's also a Wegman's really close to Random Hills, which rules.

P.S. Don't let anyone tell you its a good idea to live too far west out on 66. Unless you like sitting in your car.