Washington DC

There are only a couple of office buildings on Random Hills and they're all pretty much in the same spot...you might be in the one where my wife used to work.

Yeah, that Town Center place has a Coastal Flats. Good food, long waits.

The Whole Foods is across the street from my office. There's also a Wegman's really close to Random Hills, which rules.

P.S. Don't let anyone tell you its a good idea to live too far west out on 66. Unless you like sitting in your car.

Never heard of Wegman's, but I'll check it out fo sho.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister lives in Manassas. This is good advice. :yes

Does the train run out to Manassas? I don't think a train runs through Fairfax, either, but WTF do I know?

I know the traffic will probably suck, which will be a change from what I'm used to in the Land of Jerry, but the other trade-offs will make it totally freaking worth every single minute of commute and sitting in traffic time... Of course, I say that shit now, but gimme 6 months...

Does the train run out to Manassas? I don't think a train runs through Fairfax, either, but WTF do I know?

Yeah, the train goes through there. Good thing b/c 66 isn't much fun.

Is it really so bad down there in Lynchburg? I've driven through a few times, tho can't say I've ever spent any time there.

Yeah, the train goes through there. Good thing b/c 66 isn't much fun.

Is it really so bad down there in Lynchburg? I've driven through a few times, tho can't say I've ever spent any time there.

Um, yes. I guess if you aren't looking to do anything on Friday nights, then Lynchburg isn't bad. I'd imagine it might be a nice place to raise kids, but you know, that does zero for me. I guess a great night out would be to hit the Chick-Fil-A (their chocolate shakes are like crack! mmm) and then the Wal-mart. The mall here is at least 20 years outdated, both the movie theaters barely pass as dollar theaters compared to other places I've lived, and the best times I have here are when I go other places, like Charlottesville or D.C. for the weekend.

They have what could be a cool downtown. It has a ton of historic buildings that would be neat spaces for restaurants, shops, bars, whatever, but it seems pretty vacant and dead.

I guess maybe if you're involved with stuff over at Liberty University, and that is your thing, this place probably isn't that bad. I moved here for work, not because I was trying to upgrade from Kalamazoo. Kalamazoo was a huge let down for me after living in Ann Arbor for such a long time, but man, Kalamazoo was like Heaven for me compared to Lynchburg.

If you are going to be there on the 31st

You can see Will Hoge and Honor by August play at the State Theatre

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to be trucking up a load of stuff and then have to run back down to L-burg, so I'll miss it. Cool heads-up though, man...

dcd

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to be trucking up a load of stuff and then have to run back down to L-burg, so I'll miss it. Cool heads-up though, man...

dcd

I love both those bands, and I will only be in town for that show, but its gonna be a good one

sorry you gotta lug stuff...lugging is not way sweet

I think I remember when you first posted about moving down to Lynchburg and I think my reaction was "Well, I hear its really pretty in the fall, but...." :lol Not too surprised it didn't really turn out to be your cup of tea.

Fairfax is a pretty decent place, though. Unless things have radically changed since I lived around there, there still isn't much to do at night unless you're going into the city, but at least you're not too far away. :thumbup

I think I remember when you first posted about moving down to Lynchburg and I think my reaction was "Well, I hear its really pretty in the fall, but...." :lol Not too surprised it didn't really turn out to be your cup of tea.

Fairfax is a pretty decent place, though. Unless things have radically changed since I lived around there, there still isn't much to do at night unless you're going into the city, but at least you're not too far away. :thumbup

Ha! You DO remember correctly. And, you we're right. It is pretty in the Fall. That's about it, though. Don't get me wrong, I don't need some huge night life, just access to a decent grocery store, a decent bookstore, good coffee, etc. Being "not too far away" from the city is loads better than this. Lynchburg was a necessary evil to get to this next step. It gave me the "in" I needed and it has paid off. But, boy, am I glad THAT is over...

I don't need some huge night life, just access to a decent grocery store, a decent bookstore, good coffee, etc.

Yeah, you'll be ok. :thumbup

I think the reason I remember making the comment about it being pretty in the fall there is that is probably the only thing I've ever heard anybody say about Lynchburg. Its pretty in the fall. And there's Liberty. And, uh...

I don't know a thing about Fairfax, but...

ok, I'll be in Baltimore next month and have an evening free. I didn't know how far DC was from there, but apparently it's an hour train ride. Never been there, but I figure why not? So.... I'll probably have 3-4 hours tops in DC from the time I get off the train in Union Station. Any ideas for a really, really quick trip? I figure something on the Mall, right?

If you're at Union Station, you're literally steps from the U.S. capitol -- just walk out the front of the station and it's kinda hard to miss. If the weather is good, walk around it just to have a look (it's pretty!), and when you get to the other side, you'll see the Washington Monument, and then The Mall is right in front of you. The various Smithsonian museums are basically lined up on either side of The Mall.

If you like the idea of exploring neighborhoods rather than museums, this website specializes in DC neighborhoods. Capitol Hill is the neighborhood you're in when you're at Union Station, but in case they interest you more, you can take the metro from Union Station, and get to Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Downtown, or the Connecticut Avenue corridor all from the same line.

Hope that helps!