Jeff Tweedy 2/24/2007 Living Room Show

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This shot gives me goosebumps:

132087138-M.jpg

This is "roots music", where the tunes and lyrics are passed person to person like a joyous virus. How music was meant to be. What fun!

( :wave mad scientist!)

This shot gives me goosebumps:

132087138-M.jpg

This is "roots music", where the tunes and lyrics are passed person to person like a joyous virus. How music was meant to be. What fun!

( :wave mad scientist!)

It was an amazing experience... we're performing "I'm The Man Who Loves You" (if you look real close, you can see the capos on the 1st fret). One of the highlights for me on the bass, playing to Jeff's leads. I'll write more soon.

tr

What did he say about the SPRING TOUR.....any dates in the south?

Y'know, we spent very little time talking about Wilco or Jeff's professional life (except for his anecdotes about band members -- I loved his his description of how Glenn is constantly on his cell phone). To my knowledge, no one asked him about his tour or even about the new record. For us, it is all about playing the music. I know... we're weird. But trust me, you'll get the answers to those questions from next week's show.

ya he was trying to make my girlfriend jealous. im pretty sure jim took this picture froma different angle too.

A few of the shots I took are on our groups web site, I was mainly working the video cameras and playing my Vintage Gretsch on a few choice songs. I get chills thinking about playing "Walken" with Jeff. Damn, we rocked that so hard. There are shots from last year there as well.

http://web.mac.com/blastingfonda

We didn't talk much about tour dates to Jeff. Jen might have talked him into playing Fort Wayne, Maybe.

Mainly just talked about technical music stuff, guitars and video games. The goofy stuff musicians usually talk about. Most of the time we were to busy jamming.

whatlight.jpg

Y'know, we spent very little time talking about Wilco or Jeff's professional life (except for his anecdotes about band members -- I loved his his description of how Glenn is constantly on his cell phone). To my knowledge, no one asked him about his tour or even about the new record. For us, it is all about playing the music. I know... we're weird. But trust me, you'll get the answers to those questions from next week's show.

This was a much more personal experience, than a "Wilco" experience. I don't recall anyone mentioning the new album, tour, etc... it was about spending time with Jeff and Sue, and playing his music.

I had the most fun performing an acoustic version of "What Light" from Sky Blue Sky (it's in a different key), but no one said anything about it.... notice the capo 5 in the attached photo

whatlight.jpg

This was a much more personal experience, than a "Wilco" experience. I don't recall anyone mentioning the new album, tour, etc... it was about spending time with Jeff and Sue, and playing his music.

I had the most fun performing an acoustic version of "What Light" from Sky Blue Sky (it's in a different key), but no one said anything about it.... notice the capo 5 in the attached photo

It was amazing to hear you sing and play accoustic with Jeff. If you look carefully you can see Tom coveting Jeff's vintage prewar Martin. I think that is the one he said he recorderd California Stars on.

it wasnt glenn being on the cell phone all the time, it was the drummer for the roots

Yeah, we talked more about music in general, how to play various things, alternate ways of playing stuff, and different arrangements of songs. For Company in my Back, Aimee used castanets to create the clickitty clack sound you here at the beginning of the tune. Jeff was skeptical about it when he first saw them come out (as in jokingly saying "castanets? I think you might be taking some liberties with my arrangement here.") Then after we played he said it was perfect and described the unique "Glenn-vention" that Glenn uses to get a similar sound for that song. (Very clever AT.) It sounds like Glenn invents lost of cool stuff.

Oh, and I think it was the drummer from the Roots who was always on the cell phone. That was a great story.

I also liked Jeff's story about going into the studio to record something with his son. Then they were listening to the mix and his son asked "which channel is dad?" The engineer pointed it out and of course, like a typical kid, he turned that channel way down and said, "there, now it sounds good."

The cool thing is that is was so comfortable this year and everyone seemed to relax and talk with Jeff like a regular guy (OK, a regular guy we admire A LOT) and a fellow musician. Great times.

i've heard that story before, something like he was on his cell phone from the second he arrived for the show until he left and didn't say a word to anyone?

its been a while, i can't remember.

yeah, that's pretty much it. constantly on his phone, til stage time, then right back on phone once they're done.

Oh, and I think it was the drummer from the Roots who was always on the cell phone. That was a great story.

I could never tell one drummer from another. Damn!!

I could never tell one drummer from another. Damn!!

I think Jeff got started on that story after someones cell phone rang during one of the breaks between songs. Everyone of course had to give that person a hard time. Jeff was having a good time and was really funny when he wasn't bringing the rock.

I think it was a drummer's cell phone that rang. Half the folks there either play drums part time or are married to a drummer.

"What do you call a drummer that just broke up with his girl freind?....Homeless"

"What do you call a drummer that just broke up with his girl freind?....Homeless"

This is a joke my drummer husband and I share often :yay

Oh and it was nice to meet you!

Edie

Those are great. Makes me wish I could play an instrument. :cheers

That's the great thing about the Old Town School. Anyone at any age can get in on making music, and once you get to a certain level on your instrument, you can jump into one of these ensemble groups and learn to play as a band. Check it: www.oldtownschool.org

By the way, Late Greats (aka the Wilco Ensemble) is going to play this Friday night. Here's the info:

Friday, March 2, 7 p.m.

909 West Armitage, Chicago

(Old Town School of Folk Music's Old Town location)

BYOB

We're going to play the entire Ghost is Born album. We're mixing it up this time with new bass players (who usually play guitar) and some people who usually play accoustic stepping up to take some leads on electric guitar. So grab some beverages, and swing by for a fun evening of music and general good times.

:dancing :cheers :thumbup

I know I'm a little late to the lovest, but I just wanted to add a big thanks to Jeff and Sue for being such benevolent givers to a great cause - Letters to Santa. Thanks to Ken and his family as well for being the uber-host to this monumental event. It was truly an honor to get to share the stage with Jeff and to see all the great musicians of the Wilco Ensemble bring the rock like nobody's business.

Some quick highlights for me (besides eating shrimp cocktail between songs) were Ken and his son playing Dash 7 with Jeff, Jeff talking about the music and the listener and the impact fans like us have on his songwriting, Jeff channeling Pat Sansone for the Townsend windmill on I'm A Wheel, talking shop with Jeff on vintage guitars and, of course, playing Blasting Fonda with the man that penned the song. Truly amazing night.

I know I'm a little late to the lovest, but I just wanted to add a big thanks to Jeff and Sue for being such benevolent givers to a great cause - Letters to Santa. Thanks to Ken and his family as well for being the uber-host to this monumental event. It was truly an honor to get to share the stage with Jeff and to see all the great musicians of the Wilco Ensemble bring the rock like nobody's business.

Some quick highlights for me (besides eating shrimp cocktail between songs) were Ken and his son playing Dash 7 with Jeff, Jeff talking about the music and the listener and the impact fans like us have on his songwriting, Jeff channeling Pat Sansone for the Townsend windmill on I'm A Wheel, talking shop with Jeff on vintage guitars and, of course, playing Blasting Fonda with the man that penned the song. Truly amazing night.

I was just reminded how absolutely amazing that night was to play those songs with Jeff, and to hear you and everyone else play their hearts out ("California Stars", "Not For The Season"). It was the single most enjoyable musical experience I've ever had. And the smiles on everyone's faces show the pure joy of the moment. Whenever I hear "Shake It Off" or "Walken" or "What Light", I will remember where I was on February 24, 2007.

As I'm sure you will always think of "Blasting Fonda"...

sk2007.jpg