Although I'm usually down with any opportunity to belittle my doppleganger, I feel in this case I must point out the obvious...that the First Ammendment does not guarantee a person any freedoms of expression on a privately owned and operated semi-obscure former alt-country band's unofficial message board.

Oh yeah, and the other fat.boy is in his mid to late 40's now, I think, which by my calculations makes him older than WhatLight?

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha....this shit made my day.

For you to say that all Ryan Adams is nothing but a Gram Parsons rip off is truthfully one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. It's like saying that all Bob Dylan ever did was rip off Woody Guthrie. Sure, he is influenced by him, but they are completley seperate artists.

Dude, go listen to Ryan's Rock n Roll album. That's a complete rip off of Gram Parsons.

I really will retract my comment of wanting to listen to the rest of his catalogue................no need.............they know..........I trust that source..........

i hate to break the promise to myself never to respond to you again... but good god. you are a tool.

i realise i need to get out more, much more, but this thread is cracking me up! :lol

you're a funny, funny guy, What Light? :no

are you sure ryan hasn't joined the board just to f*** with us all?

ps, if you're going to use an ellipsis (dot dot dot), then please do it properly (i'm an editor, so i know these things) - it's dot space dot space dot space i.e. . . . see, that's not so hard is it?

please resume discussions What Light? i'm intrigued as to your next insightful move

F.Y.I. . . . I just purchased another cd last night, I now own approximately 137. That may not seem like alot, but I do have an obscene number of metal/thrash/rock cassettes from the 80's, most featuring Dolby® noise reduction.

....................the First Ammendment does not guarantee a person any freedoms of expression on a privately owned and operated semi-obscure former alt-country band's unofficial message board.

That's gold, right there...

:cheers

wow tons of maturity on here.............turns more into personal attacks.............not really into the Lord of the Flies conch shell battles..............but here we go..............another who thinks like me and is a very well respected album reviewer.......and gee he mentions Gram a few times...............go figure...........

Album Review: Adams, Ryan

EASY TIGER

Adams takes it Easy

By DARRYL STERDAN -- Sun Media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan Adams

Easy Tiger

(Universal)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan Adams is clearly a guy who can't sit still.

That much is reflected in the title of Easy Tiger (supposedly the words of a more patient girlfriend). But it's equally clear from the rest of his output: Eight albums since 2000 -- three in '05 alone! -- plus assorted online releases and side projects.

But for album No. 9, the prolific alt-country cat and former Whiskeytown leader has changed his stripes. Now 32 and reportedly sober, he's older, wiser and calmer. And he's finally taken his sweet time between discs -- a full 18 months, an eternity for him.

Adams' new laid-back approach pays off handsomely. These 13 mature, melancholy tunes add up to one of the most focused and consistent releases in his scattershot catalog.

If this is what comes from taking his time, we're only too happy to wait a little longer for his next albums.

Goodnight Rose 3:20

If Gram Parsons had written Only Love Can Break Your Heart, it might have sounded like this torchy country-rock waltz. Love the chiming, echoing guitar arpeggios and tinkly piano.

Two 2:38

A downbeat number in every sense of the word, this yearning ballad balances grand piano and guitar with harmonies from Adams and Sheryl Crow. Blue Rodeo should cover it.

Everybody Knows 2:25

An acoustic guitar + a lazy groove + a bittersweet melody and lyrics about love gone wrong = one plainspoken, understated roots gem.

Halloweenhead 3:23

From his bag of tricks, Adams pulls out some beefy, chugging chords, a dragging drumbeat and a tolling bell -- and dishes up the disc's heaviest cut.

Oh My God, Whatever, Etc. 2:31

We move to the twilit backporch for this folksy number flecked with banjo, pretty piano and a world-weary working-man vocal.

Tears of Gold 2:53

Another slow-burning waltz that channels the Nudie-suit spirit of Parsons and his Flying Burritos. "We'll sing you to heaven and back," says Adams -- and he does.

The Sun Also Sets 4:09

The ramshackle gait has faint echoes of The Band's The Weight -- but the big piano and wailing vocal ("We are only one argument from death") are closer to Rufus Wainwright. Stunning.

Off Broadway 2:31

Stephen King recently likened Adams to Neil Young. Tunes like this -- a folksy acoustic-guitar number with a plaintive falsetto vocal and atmospheric percussion -- are why.

Pearls on a String 2:23

The banjo returns -- along with a mandolin -- for this simple, sweet and authentically old-timey bluegrass number.

Rip Off 3:12

A rich piano line drives this sombre roots ballad -- but the piercing guitar licks, gorgeous pedal steel lines and dusty brushed drums complement it superbly.

Two Hearts 3:03

Things get slightly more upbeat musically with some jangly guitars. But Adams' sorrowful Roy Orbison vocal and mushy lyrics ("Three words is all it takes to break your heart in two") tell the real story.

These Girls 2:50

"God bless all the late-night girls," sighs Adams over a gentle acoustic guitar. "When they smile, God ... I get hypnotized." This song has a similar effect.

I Taught Myself How to Grow Old 3:21

A haunting harmonica, a melancholy melody, a mournful vocal and a lush string arrangement make for the best ballad that Neil Young forgot to write.

..............another who thinks like me and is a very well respected album reviewer

Adams' new laid-back approach pays off handsomely. These 13 mature, melancholy tunes add up to one of the most focused and consistent releases in his scattershot catalog.

If this is what comes from taking his time, we're only too happy to wait a little longer for his next albums.

Goodnight Rose 3:20

IfGram Parsons had written Only Love Can Break Your Heart, it might have sounded like this torchy country-rock waltz. Love the chiming, echoing guitar arpeggios and tinkly piano.

Two 2:38

A downbeat number in every sense of the word, this yearning ballad balances grand piano and guitar with harmonies from Adams and Sheryl Crow. Blue Rodeo should cover it.

Everybody Knows 2:25

An acoustic guitar + a lazy groove + a bittersweet melody and lyrics about love gone wrong = one plainspoken, understated roots gem.

Halloweenhead 3:23

From his bag of tricks, Adams pulls out some beefy, chugging chords, a dragging drumbeat and a tolling bell -- and dishes up the disc's heaviest cut.

Oh My God, Whatever, Etc. 2:31

We move to the twilit backporch for this folksy number flecked with banjo, pretty piano and a world-weary working-man vocal.

Tears of Gold 2:53

Another slow-burning waltz that channels the Nudie-suit spirit ofParsons and his Flying Burritos. "We'll sing you to heaven and back," says Adams -- and he does.

The Sun Also Sets 4:09

The ramshackle gait has faint echoes of The Band's The Weight -- but the big piano and wailing vocal ("We are only one argument from death") are closer to Rufus Wainwright. Stunning.

Off Broadway 2:31

Stephen King recently likened Adams to Neil Young. Tunes like this -- a folksy acoustic-guitar number with a plaintive falsetto vocal and atmospheric percussion -- are why.

Pearls on a String 2:23

The banjo returns -- along with a mandolin -- for this simple, sweet and authentically old-timey bluegrass number.

Rip Off 3:12

A rich piano line drives this sombre roots ballad -- but the piercing guitar licks, gorgeous pedal steel lines and dusty brushed drums complement it superbly.

Two Hearts 3:03

Things get slightly more upbeat musically with some jangly guitars. But Adams' sorrowful Roy Orbison vocal and mushy lyrics ("Three words is all it takes to break your heart in two") tell the real story.

These Girls 2:50

"God bless all the late-night girls," sighs Adams over a gentle acoustic guitar. "When they smile, God ... I get hypnotized." This song has a similar effect.

I Taught Myself How to Grow Old 3:21

A haunting harmonica, a melancholy melody, a mournful vocal and a lush string arrangement make for the best ballad that Neil Young forgot to write.

I'd reread that review, I don't think the guy really agrees with you, in fact I think he's more along the lines that Ryan Adams is channeling a lot of really great influences into a mature and interesting album. :thumbup

I don't know anything about the subject, but that reveiwer didn't seem to say anything about Ryan Adams ripping off anyone. He really seems to love the record.

p.s. I know everyone has been making fun of you because of your "posting style" as you call it. It doesn't really bother me, but it does take me longer to read them than other people's posts. Every time time you take a period break, when I read it, I hear someone using an inhaler. So it's like, "wow, tons of maturity on here" (((whoooosh))) " turns more into personal attacks" (((whoooosh)))..... I don't know why, it just does.

Those are the notes to Darryl Sterdan's review, I assume, where's his actual finished piece?

If you're going to use that to back you up, you might want to edit the bit about Adams singing like Roy Orbison & Neil Young, which is obviously not possible when he sounds like Gram Parsons all the time. Personally, I wouldn't use it at all though.

Except for this guy likes Adams, gushes over the record and uses the analogy of Parsons and Adams to positive effect?

Yeah, I see that.

I never said it was awful as an album...........I would give it 2/5 stars where he gave 4/5................my point was that it is a blatant rip off of Gram..........which I said 15 pages ago................then many on here along with personal attacks said the album sounded nothing like gram and did not hear that on the album..............I was pointing out that someone who is more knowledgeable than 90% on here about music................heard the same thing I did...............sure he chose influence.............I chose rip off..............but my initial comment was the album was too much sounding like Gram.............he points out on more than one track it does sound a lot like gram....................

I never said it was awful as an album...........I would give it 2/5 stars where he gave 4/5................my point was that it is a blatant rip off of Gram..........which I said 15 pages ago................then many on here along with personal attacks said the album sounded nothing like gram and did not hear that on the album..............I was pointing out that someone who is more knowledgeable than 90% on here about music................heard the same thing I did...............sure he chose influence.............I chose rip off..............but my initial comment was the album was too much sounding like Gram.............he points out on more than one track it does sound a lot like gram....................

I'd imagine that 100% of people on here have heard of Neil Young, Roy Orbinson & Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers - so I'm not sure where you get the fact that he knows more about music from? I'd also bet that most, if not all, of them could write a more insightful review than that bloke did.

I'd imagine that 100% of people on here have heard of Neil Young, Roy Orbinson & Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers - so I'm not sure where you get the fact that he knows more about music from? I'd also bet that most, if not all, of them could write a more insightful review than that bloke did.

99% maybe. I own 4 cds...

Sky Blue Sky

A Ghost is Born

Straight to Hell soundtrack

Photographs and Memories - Jim Croce's Greatest Hits

I've never heard of any of those dudes you mentioned.

i have never made a personal attack but i have asked you questions to really understand where you are coming from...yet you have neglected them.

all this talk of Gram has reminded me that i need to check him out - what is the best way to go?

on amazon i see a disc of GP and Grevious and then a couple of compilations/box sets.

i am asking sincerely for your opinion here.

99% maybe. I own 4 cds...

Sky Blue Sky

A Ghost is Born

Straight to Hell soundtrack

Photographs and Memories - Jim Croce's Greatest Hits

I've never heard of any of those dudes you mentioned.

Well I knew you'd not be able to write a better review (although I didn't want to name and shame you), but I had no idea you only had 4 cd's. I'd have put you down for a 20-30 cds man myself.

i have never made a personal attack but i have asked you questions to really understand where you are coming from...yet you have neglected them.

all this talk of Gram has reminded me that i need to check him out - what is the best way to go?

on amazon i see a disc of GP and Grevious and then a couple of compilations/box sets.

i am asking sincerely for your opinion here.

thank you..................I have both of his box sets.............the one that includes GP and Grevious Angel with outakes and interviews with Emmylou Harris and Gram about the music(Gram Parsons The Complete Reprise Sessions)..............and the one that includes all the Flying Burrito Brother stuff along with the good hits from the 2 above mentioned albums(Sacred Hearts and Fallen Angels The Gram Parsons Anthology)...........I would choose the second choice...........so you get it all.....you need to have his version of Wild Horses(done when he and Keith R were hanging out a ton) Hot Burrito #1 and his time with the Byrds and The International Submarine Band are included on this one as well............both run around 30 something...............both include Love Hurts...........which is also a must sang with Emmylou Harris...........hope this helps.........

Guest Jules
................then many on here along with personal attacks said the album sounded nothing like gram and did not hear that on the album..............

no one said that

here is one for example...........

yes, there is one example. That review you posted is great, thanks for more positve reviews for a awesome album.

I guess you'd better not listen to Heartbreaker, because you'll be really upset if you do. I mean, he sings a song with Emmylou Harris doing harmony on it, no one else had EVER done that except Gram Parsons.

I've been reading the past 4 or 5 pages of this thread and keep seeing Gram Parsons this, and Gram Parsons that. Gram Parsons was one of the leaders in the Country-Rock movement no doubt, but he wasn't doing anything radically innovative. Listen to Buck Owens or Merle Haggard and you'll see the genesis of the country-rock movement. Parsons took those influences and slightly altered them. Also, bands like Buffalo Springfield were doing Rock-Country-Folk influenced music around the same time as Parsons. The first Springfield record came out in 1966, Parsons first record with The International Submarine Band didn't come out until 1967. Does any of these facts make Parsons music any less meaningful? Not in my books. I just hate seeing it implied that Parsons was some musical genius creating something out of thin air. He didn't. Neither does Adams, and maybe Adams is more derivative than Parsons, but that doesn't make his music less meaningful to those that like him. Every band you listen to (for the most part) is influenced by somebody, so what, it shouldn't change the way the music moves or doesn't move you. So what if Adams sounds at times like Parsons, Westerberg, The Grateful Dead, Neil or whomever, if the music says something to you, or the melody hits you in a certain way, or the lyrics affect you, well, that's all that matters. Stop letting music critics define what is good and bad for you and start using your ears.