• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey What light! read this review that is in this months American Way magazine that i saw on my flight to the Colorado gigs about Ryan. It does not mention Gram Parson. Although the review does mention other artist as clear cut influences such as Liam Gallagher and Hank Williams but Gram is nowhere to be found... go figure?

http://tinyurl.com/22rt64

dave

I've been reading the past 4 or 5 pages of this thread and keep seeing Gram Parsons this, and Gram Parsons that. Gram Parsons was one of the leaders in the Country-Rock movement no doubt, but he wasn't doing anything radically innovative. Listen to Buck Owens or Merle Haggard and you'll see the genesis of the country-rock movement. Parsons took those influences and slightly altered them. Also, bands like Buffalo Springfield were doing Rock-Country-Folk influenced music around the same time as Parsons. The first Springfield record came out in 1966, Parsons first record with The International Submarine Band didn't come out until 1967. Does any of these facts make Parsons music any less meaningful? Not in my books. I just hate seeing it implied that Parsons was some musical genius creating something out of thin air. He didn't. Neither does Adams, and maybe Adams is more derivative than Parsons, but that doesn't make his music less meaningful to those that like him. Every band you listen to (for the most part) is influenced by somebody, so what, it shouldn't change the way the music moves or doesn't move you. So what if Adams sounds at times like Parsons, Westerberg, The Grateful Dead, Neil or whomever, if the music says something to you, or the melody hits you in a certain way, or the lyrics affect you, well, that's all that matters. Stop letting music critics define what is good and bad for you and start using your ears.

I own a lot of Buck Owen's stuff ........this is the era(Buck/Merle/Gram etc......) of country/rock that I really enjoy.............Gram is a genius and to many many people he was and is the inventor of country/rock..............

that is nice..........

..............I was pointing out that someone who is more knowledgeable than 90% on here about music................

You heard him guys, unless you are in that 10% that can match his music knowledge, just give up and concede defeat. As for me, I'm gonna get out of this thread lest I get totally pwned by What Light's knowledge.

I own a lot of Buck Owen's stuff ........this is the era(Buck/Merle/Gram etc......) of country/rock that I really enjoy.............Gram is a genius and to many many people he was and is the inventor of country/rock..............

that is nice..........

Yeah, except both those other two men were recording, and had defined their sound, before Gram Parsons had (Buck Owens was recording in the early 1960s, and kind of at his peak by the mid-1960s). Seeing as how you just said they are of the era of country/rock and I have just pointed out that they were making their music before Gram Parsons, how does that influence your view on Parsons?

You heard him guys, unless you are in that 10% that can match his music knowledge, just give up and concede defeat. As for me, I'm gonna get out of this thread lest I get totally pwned by What Light's knowledge.

you are retarded................I was referring to the music critic I cited..............not myself.............but way to show your intelligence there buddy.............

thank you..................I have both of his box sets.............the one that includes GP and Grevious Angel with outakes and interviews with Emmylou Harris and Gram about the music(Gram Parsons The Complete Reprise Sessions)..............and the one that includes all the Flying Burrito Brother stuff along with the good hits from the 2 above mentioned albums(Sacred Hearts and Fallen Angels The Gram Parsons Anthology)...........I would choose the second choice...........so you get it all.....you need to have his version of Wild Horses(done when he and Keith R were hanging out a ton) Hot Burrito #1 and his time with the Byrds and The International Submarine Band are included on this one as well............both run around 30 something...............both include Love Hurts...........which is also a must sang with Emmylou Harris...........hope this helps.........

so the second one only takes the 'best' from his solo records?

i'm not all about that - i'm an album man

so the second one only takes the 'best' from his solo records?

i'm not all about that - i'm an album man

I understand...............I have individual GP and Grevious Angel copies as well..............and the Reprise Sessions box set is those two albums in their entirety..............the other was a good mix of all his groups he was in and his solo stuff...........if you are an album man I would say buy the GP and Grevious Angel albums seperately...........

you are retarded................I was referring to the music critic I cited..............not myself.............but way to show your intelligence there buddy.............

Well with you are right, I am very retarded for not understanding your amazingly clear sentence structure. Keep on writing like a moron so morons like me will keep on misinterpreting you.

Edit: I forgot, I don't want to violate your First Amendment rights.

I understand...............I have individual GP and Grevious Angel copies as well..............and the Reprise Sessions box set is those two albums in their entirety..............the other was a good mix of all his groups he was in and his solo stuff...........if you are an album man I would say buy the GP and Grevious Angel albums seperately...........

so there's nothing that just has all his stuff apart from a band - pre flying and post? i wouldn't think there's that much, so why can't they just have a box set of that?

How are box sets counted in 600 cds? Do you count the cds separately or the set as one?

And they sell GP and Grievous Angel on the same disc. I got it for probably 9 bucks. I would say start there.

oh thanks! that wasn't there the last time i looked (or i wasn't looking in the right spot).

I just saw this on Ticketmaster. Sucks for me, because I'm not going to be in front of a computer on Friday morning. Good luck!

Internet Presale Info

iTunes Presale:

Start:Thu, 08/09/07 10:00 AM CDT

End:Fri, 08/10/07 10:00 PM CDT

Local Int. Presale:

Start:Fri, 08/10/07 10:00 AM CDT

Ryan Adams Fan Club:

Start:Fri, 08/10/07 10:00 AM CDT

making a petition because of the way someone posts is a violation of 1st amend..................it is what I have done longer than you have owned a computer and what i will do til the end of time...............again.............1st amend rights and individuality................not some communist..............really you are pathetic...............think about what you are complaining about...........

hmm. Perhaps if you didn't have such meager reading comprehension skills you'd see I was saying people should move on from the public flogging of your inability to write in a manner that conforms to the most basic of grammatical rules. And for the record my first computer was a franklin ace somewhere around '82. I'm willing to bet I've got shoes older than you. One thing is for certain, Ryan Adams is less derivative as an artist than you are as a troll.

I listened to about a dozen Gram Parsons tunes last night from GP and Grievous Angel. I'll take Ryan and Gillian Welch's version of "Return of the Grievous Angel" from Exit/In over the studio track any old day.

While I certainly hear an influence, Ryan has a style of his own and has definitely added some instrumentation that is not present in Parsons' music. Not to mention the scores of songs he's written that bear no relation to Parsons whatsoever.

Thank you What Light? for helping urge on a renewed interest in Ryan Adams for me.

:cheers

huh. that chicago presale was so stupid.

the presale ticket menu wasn't available until maybe 10:10am and there were no tickets at that point and THEN it disappeared for 5 or 10 minutes. Then it came back and there were no tickets still.

what the heck. i understand not getting tickets but i guess i expected to just be able to try. weird.

edit: nevermind... i just pulled something up! i think i'm sitting waaaaaaay over to the side of the stage in the 2nd rowish? what a confusing seating chart.

huh. that chicago presale was so stupid.

I agree - that XRT presale was messed up. Seats did finally show up 20+ minutes later for me, and I had 2 in row MM (not too bad) but then lost them by spending too much time looking at the seating chart, trying to figure out where MM really was. Aaaagh!

More seats kept showing up until about 11 o'clock, but they were not very good seats (row Q in the Chicago Theatre is practically the last row), and so I decided my 2nd row in K-zoo and the pending seats from a friend for the Ann Arbor show will be good enough. Maybe tomorrow's regular on-sale will do better?

One other thing - I have not seen info about that U oF Ill Champaign/Urbana Oct 4 show yet. Anyone know what's up with that? That's a nice venue and might be worth a road trip.

i haven't seen anything about the UI C/U show but that is SUCH an awesome venue. I would really prefer that show if it weren't in the middle of the week.

i'm thinking of trying for better chicago seats today but I'm scared TM will cancel both my orders (even though theres an 8 ticket limit).