• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i simply cannot read posts with that many dots in it. i realise it is a stylistic choice, much like my laziness in using capital letters, but all those dots really make a post unreadable.

However i am a big fan of ryan adams even though he is a gigantic mess live. I would still probably pay to see him again. have we ranked his records yet?

yeah I am gonna be defensive..............when I came on a thread about Ryan Adams and posted what I thought of the album and got blasted like N Sync broke up or something...............when it was just my opinion...........I was asked to cite examples of people or critics saying this same opinion..........so I did...........I was asked what songs sound like Gram's from his work.............named Ryan's off Easy Tiger and Gram's..............to show similarities.............however it is funny...........if a comment is an opinion not with the clickish norm.............they must show examples................when imo if you are going to defend someone and disregard so many opinions..............you too should prove why...........in all fairness...........but yeah if people are gonna come after to me for having an opinion and defending it...............then yeah that is how you will think I am............btw..........I would defend Adam Duritz anytime...........as I would many of the bands from that era(Gin Blossoms........Cranberries.....etc)...........

Did I attack you? What made you think that I regard Ryan Adams as a god?

As for Orkie's post going against the "clickish" norm, that doesn't have anything to do with people asking him to back up his claim, regardless of whether or not it goes against prevailing opinion. He made a claim about Ryan Adams, so he needs to provide support for his claim. If the attitude about Ryan Adams is as widespread as he says it is, then it should be a very simple matter for Orkie to track down a couple articles supporting his position, and post them for all to see. At the same time, it is an impossible claim to refute. Music critics are not going to say something like, "Ryan Adams totally did not rip off any other artist on this song/album/concert."

I absolutely agree that Ryan Adams's music is influenced by other artists, including Gram Parsons. I've never said otherwise, because I don't believe otherwise. However, I don't feel that he does it any more heavily than most other artists making music these days. All music is derivative.

Did I attack you?

my point was that for 40+ pages everyone can have opinions of praise and brilliance for an artist(Ryan Adams in this case) and shower him with compliments and never have to site why he is so good or why he is brilliant...........but when someone comes in a thread about this album and artist and says something against these 40+ pages of praise..............they must show examples etc.............very one sided...........as if to say anything different must have proof but if you follow in line with others.........no proof needed.............guess you missed my point entirely..............oh well............

yeah I am gonna be defensive..............when I came on a thread about Ryan Adams and posted what I thought of the album and got blasted like N Sync broke up or something...............when it was just my opinion...........

What Light?, you seem confused about why your posts have raised so many hackles. It has nothing to do with cliques, and everything to do with your tone. People reacted badly to your posts not because you expressed an unpopular opinion, but because you coupled that opinion with a smug, patronizing tone. You implied that anyone with a differing take must, without exception, be guilty of blind fan worship or plain ignorance. You then refused to engage with opposing arguments, choosing to instead dismiss them as merely the addled opinions of thoughtless, uneducated lemmings. What it boils down to is this: You took a rigid position on an artist that you openly acknowledge you have limited experience with, and that churlish arrogance is what ticked people off. Surely you can see why your unfounded, condescending generalizations might make some people defensive?

What Light?, you seem confused about why your posts have raised so many hackles. It has nothing to do with cliques, and everything to do with your tone. People reacted badly to your posts not because you expressed an unpopular opinion, but because you coupled that opinion with a smug, patronizing tone. You implied that anyone with a differing take must, without exception, be guilty of blind fan worship or plain ignorance. You then refused to engage with opposing arguments, choosing to instead dismiss them as merely the addled opinions of thoughtless, uneducated lemmings. What it boils down to is this: You took a rigid position on an artist that you openly acknowledge you have limited experience with, and that churlish arrogance is what ticked people off. Surely you can see why your unfounded, condescending generalizations might make some people defensive?

actually I stated an opinion on a message board about an album under it's thread..............I was asked to to find examples of his music sounding like Gram..........so I did...........I was asked what songs sound like Grams.............I stated a few.............so the way i see it I did provide plenty of examples to explain my reasoning for the opinion I had about the album.........however to just sit and say he is this and that on a brilliant level.............must also show support imo..........cannot just be those opposed have to.............you gotta be able to see that...............if not a lemming would be a good reference point for you to start with here..............I have listened to the album I critiqued many many times now...............my opinion has not changed in the least..............my comments were about this album and this album only...........whether he has better stuff or is this godlike artist away from this album...........is not important...........my comments were directed at Easy Tiger...........under a thread titled Easy Tiger.............everything else is grasping for straws really.............

You're pretty annoying, dude. I know, because I am too and I can spot my own kind.

back at ya..............not too concerned with your opinion of me.............it is however on a message board important to understand what others are trying to say...........which I guess is annoying to you as I try to explain my posts to those who cannot understand them.........oh well....

settle down, all of you.

Easy Tiger's a decent album. Ryan is not a ripoff artist, but quite often borrows tastefully from other artists, just as every modern artist does. I got blitzed as a Kennedy with Ryan several times and must report that he's a stand up guy.

What Light? has moved onto gin blossoms.

All is well.

it is however on a message board important to understand what others are trying to say...........which I guess is annoying to you as I try to explain my posts to those who cannot understand them.........oh well....

This is a great bit, btw.

i'm not gonna read this book of a thread but I know somewhere in here i posted my review of the album.

I thought it sucked compared to his other efforts so "What Light?" your not the only one.

oh and mindofpelosi that lead track off of 29 is not a tasteful rip off of the grateful dead's "Trucking" its preety obivious. So i wouldnt be suprised to find he's ripped off others

if not a lemming would be a good reference point for you to start with here

I don't have anything invested in Ryan Adams one way or another. If you notice, I haven't offered my opinion of Easy Tiger in this thread or anywhere else. I'll just say this about Adams: In his work I hear many influences, including GP, but I also hear plenty of his own artistic voice, too.

If you're searching for "evidence" that many "educated" ears find value in Ryan Adams, let me direct you to the links below. For every critic that dismisses Adams as a poor derivative, there seems to be at least two or three that are convinced he offers something more than that. Taken as a whole, critical opinion finds real value in his efforts.

Easy Tiger

Cold Roses

Love Is Hell Part 1

Love Is Hell Part 2

Gold

Jacksonville City Nights

Those aggregate scores confirm the point people have been trying to make in this thread: That it's not necessarily crazy, or lemming-like, to consider Easy Tiger more than merely a rip-off of GP. If you don't hear anything of value in it, so be it... but don't dismiss opposing viewpoints as automatically uneducated and unrefined. That's simply not true. More importantly, you don't have to take such an antagonizing position in order to argue your (perfectly valid) case.

I take back my comments i just read back a few pages and this is a childish pissing contest

Ryan adams plays alt-country there for it could be interperted that he sounds like GP, as well as a slew of others.

Most artists today aren't inovators their interpreters. Ryan adams is def and interpreter and he is great at it. So this album is lack luster and doesnt bring anything new to his sound ( were as the other albums show he bringing in more influnces). oh well!!

Lets move on everybody and talk about something else jeez

can we all agree to disagree?/?

NO MORE :monkey BUSINESS

I don't have anything invested in Ryan Adams one way or another. If you notice, I haven't offered my opinion of Easy Tiger in this thread or anywhere else. I'll just say this about Adams: In his work I hear many influences, including GP, but I also hear plenty of his own artistic voice, too.

If you're going to accuse Adams of borrowing from anyone, I think he takes much more from The Smiths than anyone else.

I'm not going to get involved in the GP argument, but this "..............." thing has to stop. If you insist on writing like that, stick to "..."

"personal attack by a few regular clickish posters"

I'm not going to get involved in the GP argument, but this "..............." thing has to stop. If you insist on writing like that, stick to "..."

Agreed!

to think about 4,000 of your posts are garbage..............you should be so proud.........

:wub you went back and read all of my posts... that makes me feel proud...

edit

cliquish