• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Light?, you seem confused about why your posts have raised so many hackles. It has nothing to do with cliques, and everything to do with your tone. People reacted badly to your posts not because you expressed an unpopular opinion, but because you coupled that opinion with a smug, patronizing tone. You implied that anyone with a differing take must, without exception, be guilty of blind fan worship or plain ignorance. You then refused to engage with opposing arguments, choosing to instead dismiss them as merely the addled opinions of thoughtless, uneducated lemmings. What it boils down to is this: You took a rigid position on an artist that you openly acknowledge you have limited experience with, and that churlish arrogance is what ticked people off. Surely you can see why your unfounded, condescending generalizations might make some people defensive?

Even the most thoughtful, well explained posts (such as this) directed towards What Light? fail to have any impact on him; it seriously makes me question his reading comprehension.

I'm so glad essox500 is back, albeit under a different name.

Hey, Orkie, can you tell us how Easy Tiger would've been better with more orchestral reprises? And also, tell us how much you dislike Bright Eyes.

i don't kno if any of you know this, but in deffense ryan adams being said to have copied gram parsons on 'easytiger,' ryan didn't listen to any music except hip-hop during the writing and production o the album, so he couldn't draw on those influences

i don't kno if any of you know this, but in deffense ryan adams being said to have copied gram parsons on 'easytiger,' ryan didn't listen to any music except hip-hop during the writing and production o the album, so he couldn't draw on those influences

Why does the fact that he was listening to other music when he wrote the album mean that he couldn't have drawn on the influence of Gram Parsons when making the album?

Why does the fact that he was listening to other music when he wrote the album mean that he couldn't have drawn on the influence of Gram Parsons when making the album?

yeah, i laughed when I read. Written so matter-of-factly, like hip-hop erases a person's memory. It might make you a little stupid, but erase your memory, no.

i dont know if you are a songwriter, like i am, but when you listen to alot of one band/artist it starts to bleed into your writing, so if ryan didn't listen to any gram parsons he isnt going to play or subconsciously sig like him. if you listen closely to some songs on easy tiger, you can hear some 'hip-hop' influences

i dont know if you are a songwriter, like i am, but when you listen to alot of one band/artist it starts to bleed into your writing, so if ryan didn't listen to any gram parsons he isnt going to play or subconsciously sig like him. if you listen closely to some songs on easy tiger, you can hear some 'hip-hop' influences

:dontgetit

I happen to be a songwriter.

In 12th grade, I was in a band with no name that never played a show. We did, however, perform one original song during our practices...a song I wrote called "Strip Poker". At the time, I was listening to almost nothing but DC hardcore and The Misfits, yet my brilliant composition reflected none of those influences. "Strip Poker" was an AC/DC-ish mid-tempo bluesy rock song. I know I'm rambling here, but my point is...I've never really heard any Gram Parsons. Can someone ysi me a mix?

P.S. The chorus for "Strip Poker", which is the only part I can remember, went like this:

"I saw her nude

No it's not lewd

We played strip poker

Don't call me rude

Don't be a prude

Let's play strip poker"

during the writing of this, were you, by any chance, only reading the posts of What Light? (to follow your analogy on one step further)

I think you have a good point there.