3 songs off Sky Blue Sky available to listen to

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all three of these songs dearly.

I'm going to print this thread out and give it to Jeff on Saturday and he's going to hate all of you forever...

In all honesty, he probably doesn't care. The only vote that matters is the one that I cast with my dollar and I'll probably end up buying the album out of sheer loyalty and coupled with a severe case of musical OCD. He'll make his dollar.

I made myself stop listening to them. I just listened to them 6 times in a row on repeat (while unpacking boxes at my new house). Had to stop before overkill set in. Now I need 3 more songs to play for a while! :D

In all honesty, he probably doesn't care. The only vote that matters is the one that I cast with my dollar and I'll probably end up buying the album out of sheer loyalty and coupled with a severe case of musical OCD. He'll make his dollar.

Yeah, I'm sure all Jeff cares about is getting your pathetic dollar. Man oh man! I bet Jeff would gladly give you your money back.....

Folks, this is the main reason artists hate when their discs leak out.

I made myself stop listening to them. I just listened to them 6 times in a row on repeat (while unpacking boxes at my new house). Had to stop before overkill set in. Now I need 3 more songs to play for a while! :D

Same here. Rush hour traffic allowed me to listen to it continuously on repeat. Problem is I start to hear things I wish were different or notice things I think are missing from the songs. Overkill is the correct word.

I'm not liking all this talk about Walken being so restrained. I really loved it when it was played live, it had some real energy to it and a really cool groove, especially the ending.

I am holding off to listening to the studio tracks until the entire thing is out...

Wow...excellent stuff. Managed to find them in the google blog search, and I'm enjoying all three immensely.

I will say this regarding the mastered/unmastered thing --- as a recording artist myself, they don't sound mastered to me. Honestly, they don't even sound completely mixed. That could very well BE the final mix, but certain elements are a bit too "out front" for me to believe that this is the final version. JMHO.

But honestly, I'll take new Wilco studio material in any form it's presented to me. :)

Walken went from a cool shuffle (live) to an awkward studio limp. Well, the piano intro in the beginning is embarrasing, and the 'breakdown' toward the end replaced its neato drum fill with a not neat fill. Not horrible, it just lost its shuffle.

I couldn't agree more. They took one of the best new songs of the bunch, slowed it right down, and hushed the living hell out of it. And I'm not trying to be mean, but Jeff's wobbly, anemic vocal basically kills whatever momentum it might otherwise have had. I've cut the Tweedster a lot of slack in the past for whispering in the studio on songs he practically screams live, but I've seldom been more disappointed in a studio take than I am with Walken. I'm pretty astonished that such a lively concert staple ended up sounding so flat and dull on record.

As to the production, uh, I'm pretty sure this is it, guys. Remember all the bitching about AGIB's similarly flat, straightforward approach to production? And the complaints about the volume spikes in songs like ALTWYS and Muzzle? There you go.

Anyway, time to go listen to A.M., which will probably soon become my second least favourite Wilco record...

so far i am a huge fan of the production. i dig the crisp, clean approach; nothing too rocking. i just dont think trying to replicate a live show on a disc is worthwhile, so i am glad they refrained from just trying to be loud. to me walken is tight and groove-worthy. im guessing the rest of the album wont dissapoint me.

Anyway, time to go listen to A.M., which will probably soon become my second least favourite Wilco record...

ouch. That hurts...not me, but Jeff's a human being, sir.

I'm pretty sure everybody here will end up buying it. Hell, I know I bought the Wilco Book and I'm pretty sure I've never even cracked the cover.

I'm not ranking anything dead last just yet, but I've heard almost all of the SBS songs live, and the production seems consistent enough based on these three tracks that I think it's safe to say we aren't in for any surprises. My favourite Wilco records are BT and YHF, and the you-are-here production, coupled with a good number of the best songs Tweedy has ever written, has a lot to do with my admiration. When I listen to AGIB and SBS, I still feel like I'm there, but I also feel like I have a wet towel wrapped twice around my friggin' head, you know? Everything feels preturnaturally muffled, almost as if the guys are afraid of letting it all hang out, and then some. I appreciate it on some level, but I'm absolutely not feeling it.

I think this record is going to be the best thing Wilco has ever done, Either Way is by far the best of the 3 IMO. So far the 3 songs have a cool feel and after repeated listens I'm picking up a '73 era Stones or Faces vibe. I know there will be a few rockers on the album, maybe not by most peoples standards. It just sounds great to me. It took me a while to appreciate AGIB but these songs hit home from the first listen. Today was actually the first time I've heard any of it. I haven't heard any Wilco at all since they last played Red Rocks, besides what I hear on the radio.