3 songs off Sky Blue Sky available to listen to

Read the rules man, no direct links. I managed to find it pretty easy using Google. It ain't hard.

It's worth mentioning that yes, these tracks clearly haven't been mastered, so the actual send on record could end up with alot more edge to it.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If these hadn't been mastered, the volume of the individual elements would be all over the place. Not the case, just like the AGIB leak wasn't demos. This is the final product, its just a shitty MP3.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again with the mastered vs. unmastered theories. Remember AGIB??

No, I wasn't active on the board around then. But I am also going to school for Sound Engineering if that carries any weight.. It just sounds unmastered, balances are a tad odd in places. Theres a big huge jump in dynamics when the solo kicks in for You Are My Face, and then nels guitar goes real quiet in an unnatural way. Mastering would smooth that jump out so it would sound as loud, but not physically jump up so much in volume. The piano intro on Walken sounds distant. Mastering would add a bit of compression to the tracks, which would make that piano part a bit more prominent before it blends in with everything else.

Listen to this, and than listen to AGIB. AGIB sounds warm and intimate, but it is still mastered. It has that bit of polish to it. Even the Loose Fur album sounds a bit more polished than the sound of these tracks. It may just be the way they did it, combined with the compression. But I find it just as likely that these are promo copies that aren't fully mastered.

Yeah the sound is perfect, I'm getting a lot of rumble on some of the bass parts, but that's probably because I'm listening on pretty shitty computer speakers. But the songs are all great, I could listen to Walken all day, Either Way sounds heavenly, and You Are My Face is the perfect combination of the first part of Wreckroom and Muzzle of Bees. From these three songs it sounds like they took everything that made Ghost great, warmed the sound up a bit, and then told Nels to go nuts. I have a feeling Sky Blue Sky is what I'm going to be reaching for the mornings after I'm up all night listening to Yankee and Ghost. That said there's still 3/4 of this thing that I haven't heard yet, but a quarter of the album gets two thumbs way up :thumbup :thumbup

--Mike

Ok I'm going to half to retire from the pm's after sending out about 50 in the last hour or two

I'll try to answer any that come in, but I won't be checking my inbox nearly as often because of work/school

Although if everything comes out I hope one of you will remember to send me a pm :D

Ok I'm going to half to retire from the pm's after sending out about 50 in the last hour or two

I'll try to answer any that come in, but I won't be checking my inbox nearly as often because of work/school

Although if everything comes out I hope one of you will remember to send me a pm :D

It's up on a few blogs, so I think people should be able to find it for themselves now. Although you didn't personally help me out, cheers for the help you gave to the others. :cheers

Really good stuff, SBS is going to be a great album. Either Way sounds like some long lost early Brinsley Schwarz tune.

Yeah, I can hear that too. I can also hear a lot of Patto in Walken (especially the sound of the guitars), I know they played The Man at the start of shows for a while, so clearly they like them.

it's been said before, but the solos on the end of Walken would make Lowell George proud.

Who said that? I want names, dates and times on my desk by morning.

Yeah, I can hear that too. I can also hear a lot of Patto in Walken (especially the sound of the guitars), I know they played The Man at the start of shows for a while, so clearly they like them.

Excellent, excellent connection. I hadn't thought of that, but I just listened to The Man and Walken back to back, good call there. And there's certainly some Little Feat in there as well.

--Mike

Excellent, excellent connection. I hadn't thought of that, but I just listened to The Man and Walken back to back, good call there. And there's certainly some Little Feat in there as well.

--Mike

Yeah, I wasn't thinking so much about the song The Man, more like a couple of other songs off their first album, but you can hear it in The Man too. I can hear some Little Feat too definately, as you and Solace have said - not so much in the sound, but more in the style.

Sounds like a morning album to me, heh. I don't care for Either Way as an opener, it's not so much a kick as say... IATTBYH or ALTWYS... Still good though, I wish the part from around the middle would last a little longer.

I will say first off (this will get me hated) that I probably like Wilco's avant-garde flavored tracks a little more than their conventional (although I also like Tweedy solo more than Wilco's conventional... all are very high up on the list), but imo these three tracks are ace material.

Love them all. Want more. More more more Wilco.

wow... these songs turned out better than i could have wished for. i cant begin to describe how happy/excited i am right now. especially 'you are my face'.. yikes, maybe its the fact that i haven't heard new wilco studio material in what seems like eons but this album sounds like its going to be grand

Those three songs sopund pretty good to me. I especially like You Are My Face.

As for avant garde...fucking hell, a few blips and bleeps on a record hardly makes Wilco into Tangerine Dream led by LaMonte Young.

These are not demos. The thing is these aren't mastered yet. Early promos usually aren't.

I have no opinion on whether these are mastered or not but the notion that promos are sent out for consideration unmastered is absurd. It just doesn't happen. Mastering is so important to the quality of the audio that reviews based on unmastered records would absolutely horrify anyone who works at a label or is in a band.

If unmastered studio tracks leak it's either from the band, label, or studio themselves. Not from reviewers/press. By the time they're producing promo copies the album has been long mastered. So, that's just my two cents.