3 songs off Sky Blue Sky available to listen to

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or do I hear background voices talking in Either Way?

Sorry. That was me on your phone in the back room. I was ordering pizza. Oh and some hookers. I used your plastic, I'll pay you back.

I have no opinion on whether these are mastered or not but the notion that promos are sent out for consideration unmastered is absurd. It just doesn't happen. Mastering is so important to the quality of the audio that reviews based on unmastered records would absolutely horrify anyone who works at a label or is in a band.

If unmastered studio tracks leak it's either from the band, label, or studio themselves. Not from reviewers/press. By the time they're producing promo copies the album has been long mastered. So, that's just my two cents.

i hate to bust your chops, but you're wrong...

it happens more often than you'd think. hell, it even happened with Intervention off Neon Bible back in December...

it also happened with Yoshimi in 2002, and that one even had a different tracklisting.

unmastered doesn't mean it's not necessarily the final mix... i think people often confuse the two...

i hate to bust your chops, but you're wrong...

it happens more often than you'd think. hell, it even happened with Intervention off Neon Bible back in December...

it also happened with Yoshimi in 2002, and that one even had a different tracklisting.

unmastered doesn't mean it's not necessarily the final mix... i think people often confuse the two...

Yes, I'm very much familiar between the two. I'm not arguing that unmastered stuff doesn't get leaked. It's simply not from the press. If they have a promo copy issued from the label in their hands then it is mastered (yes, I'm sure there are a few exceptions).

Yes, I'm very much familiar between the two. I'm not arguing that unmastered stuff doesn't get leaked. It's simply not from the press. If they have a promo copy issued from the label in their hands then it is mastered (yes, I'm sure there are a few exceptions).

well, you seemed to indicate that unmastered stuff was NEVER sent out for review, and i was just telling you in my experience, it does happen from time to time, and is hardly "OMG SUPER RARE"

i'm not saying i support it, or like when it happens, but it does

well, you seemed to indicate that unmastered stuff was NEVER sent out for review, and i was just telling you in my experience, it does happen from time to time, and is hardly "OMG SUPER RARE"

cant we all just get along

Ok let's make up and hug.

Was Flaming Lips a definitive example of that?

I just have to say, looking out for the interests of the band, that's the dubmest possible move you could possibly make. It's like reviewing and unedited movie IMO.

Usually the timeline is this: Final mixes, get it mastered, deliver master to record plant, make shitloads of copies, send out a bunch for review in simpler packaging (if you wanna save your full artwork copies for sale only), wait a couple months, distribute the cd to stores.

Unless you're under a huge time crunch I don't why you'd deviate from this.

"You must not be doing very well."

Whatever man.

Somebody suggested that it sounded like it wasn't mastered, and I could see why they would think that and posted reasons saying why. But I was in no way asserting myself as knowing whether it was, or making any assumptions about anybody. I gave my reasons why I thought it might be just the final mix without mastering, but also said it was just as likely that this was it.

Whoever leaked these 3 songs, I wonder why they chose these three. If you're reading this and are planning and dripping a couple more tracks here and there, please consider Side with the Seeds.

I second that...along with the rest of the album.

:punch patience Bret...

man, just google 'em like the dude said. i've found 'em all and i'm not even a wiz at this stuff.

Me too. I found them and they sent me a free pair of Tweedy's underpants with it.